Chattanooga road rage shooting

This occurred two days after the Knoxville road rage shooting. Subject was a former police officer and had worked as a armed guard and armed guard trainer. Supposedly the suspect is on deaths bed himself with cancer.

CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -
UPDATE: Police are investigating a fatal shooting in Chattanooga that happened around 9 a.m. at 344 S. Moore Road.

Police found 39-year-old Norman Gallman sitting in his vehicle suffering from a gunshot wound.

Gallman was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

Witnesses stated Gallman had a confrontation with a driver of another vehicle when they heard a gunshot.

Witnesses also gave the suspect's vehicle information.

The suspect vehicle was found at 706 S. Lovell Ave in East Ridge.

62-year-old Richard Manning was taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

Manning is charged with criminal homicide and aggravated assault.

PREVIOUS STORY: Police are investigating a fatal shooting in Chattanooga, which the Chattanooga Police Department believes to be a case of road rage. It happened around 9 a.m. at the intersection of South Moore Road and North Terrace Road.

The victim who was shot died in route to the hospital.

Investigators are processing a possible crime scene on Lovell Avenue, where police tell Channel 3 the car linked to the shooting was located. A police spokesperson says they also have a possible suspect in custody.

Witnesses were able to give police a partial license tag, which may help in the investigation.

Stay with Channel 3 for updates to this developing story.

The subject was my certifying instructor for my armed guard license, hard to believe he is capable of this.

More info indicates he was "let go" from the police due to conduct and excessive force. 

Also it seems the shooter was approached by the victim.  

But the shooter fled the scene.

All in all I think the shooter is going to have a very bad decade.   Even though the other guy got out of his car and approached,  making it sound like self defense may be a challenge.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest TNSovereignty

In my mind, my decision to carry a weapon, or have my family members carry a weapon, is based on 10% ability to consistently put rounds on target, and 90% ability to prepare mentally & reliably make good decisions under stress.  

Unfortunately, many gun owners I know have those figures backward, it reflects in their conversation and ongoing training (or lack thereof), and I suspect that was the case w/ this perpetrator.

Just because he is a 'retired' cop, doesn't automatically grant him universal carry privilege. Sounds as though he may have left under less than favorable circumstances. I preach it in all my classes; the best gunfight is the one that is avoided.

If I recall correctly to be covered under LEOSA you only have to have only 10 years to be considered "retired". I know of at least 3 departments that he has worked for and what would matter would be his standing at that last department which was in East Tennessee. I work with some guys that know him, they are in shocked at what happened. I have talked to him on the phone before many years ago. He seemed like a great guy like everyone says he is.

This is truly another tragedy, for both parties just like several of the other shootings to occur in our area. The last shooting to occur around here I also knew the shooter and the victim, I am actually having a hard time with all of it. After looking into this latest one I am inclined to believe he was not justified in any way, in fact I am going to guess that his medical complications will come into account as to why he may have done this. Sources close to him tell me he will probably dead before this case even goes to a grand jury. Makes me even wonder if he had just came from the doctor and had the bad news and the fitness trainer(victim) got under his skin to where he said screw it and blew him away. Edited by Patton

Per The Chattanoogan and other sources:

The shooter was dismissed from Hamilton County Corrections for abuse and brutality to inmates. The same sources state he was also terminated from Erlanger Hospital Security.

Victim was a local fitness trainer and coach, who apparently left his vehicle and approached the victim's vehicle.

Shooter is reported to have an "advanced, and very aggressive form of cancer".

Leaving the scene is very bad Ju-Ju.,but it wouldn't surprise me to hear a claim of self-defense based on disparity of force related to the victim's youth, apparent size and strength, and "rapid, aggressive, closing of the distance between the parties".