First Lever Gun

Superman

Looks good. I can't tell for sure if that one was made by Mossberg or Marlin. Should be a fine deer rifle either way. Great price too.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

According to this reference guide, it should be a Mossberg 472 PCA.                 

Edited by gregintenn

Western Auto name on it or Savage? Nice gun, BTW.

You can slick em up easy. Letme know when yer ready and I'll point and point you in the right direction

Marlin's have the micro grove barrel which, imho, is one of the best barrels for a lever gun there is.

They all shoot straight and make a great deer rifle or one for a jr starting out. You can cut off the stock to fit a young'n 

and stick another one on when they get older. Cheaper and effective.

I'm hearing .30-30 ammo is getting a lil hard to find. You might try what I do. Every time you run across some in any gun

shop or store just buy 1 or 2 and leave the rest. Hunters usually sight in at the beginning of the season with 5 rounds or so. That leave 5 

for hunting and a 1/2 box for the next year. 5 boxes is a 8 year supply of ammo give or take a few since they're fun to shoot.

That's leaves the next hunter a box he can pick up too.

One odd ball thing about lever guns including Marlins is the loading gate is attached to a flat piece of spring steel which is mounted to the 

inside of the receiver using a machine screw. That flat piece of spring steel will bend back a small amount due to the repeated loading of 

cartridges into the rifle. If it bends to far when you open the receiver and try to load another cartridge the lever will not close due to the

loading gate blocking it's forward movement. Just take of the loading gate and bend it back. It will last a few more years before

you have to do it again and with parts becoming harder to find it's a no cost fix.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

What I am seeing online says its a Mossberg 472. Has Western Auto Supply Co. on the barrel.

WM didnt have any 30-30 in stock and the LGS wanted $28/box. Thats the reason I haven't shot it, I couldnt bring myself to pay $1.50/rd, lol. So I will be reloading for it.

So it's a Mossie.  If you belong to a range keep a look out for .30-30 brass laying on the ground or go shooting with other guys 

who also like lever guns. Many, many hunters do not reload and will give you their brass.

Alternatively that one time expensive brass will pay for itself with all the reloads.

Lp

What I am seeing online says its a Mossberg 472. Has Western Auto Supply Co. on the barrel.

WM didnt have any 30-30 in stock and the LGS wanted $28/box. Thats the reason I haven't shot it, I couldnt bring myself to pay $1.50/rd, lol. So I will be reloading for it.

Good luck finding bullets. I haven't seen any flat point .308 bullets in stock since I've seen 22 lr for sale. I hope you have better luck.

Awesome pick up. I stumbled into the land of the lever actions a few years ago. A guy across the street from my Father-In-Law asked me and a couple of my friends if we were interested in buying some guns. He was asking $100 for a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

I hadn't even heard of .35 Rem but couldn't pass it up. Glad I got it because it's been just an awesome gun. Great shooter, light weight and will put down anything in these parts. Only problem is finding ammo for it, just like 30-30. I'd like to buy a couple more lever guns in .22lr and .44 mag.