9mm conversions

Buzz

I've decided that I want to buy a 40 carry gun. I'd like to have one that I could convert to 9mm for range use.

Looks like my best choices are either a Glock G23 or a Sig P239.

I've been a Sig owner for years, but have never owned a Glock. Both are about the same size. Of course, the Glock is cheaper and has a higher capacity.

Anybody have experience with 9mm conversions on either one? I think either one can be converted with just a barrel.

From what I gather, 9mm will work in the 40 mags, right?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Buzz

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a SIG P229 that came in .40S&W. I purchased a 9mm conversion barrel made by Bar-Sto. So far, it has worked 100%. Bar-Sto makes excellent barrels, and they do make 9mm conversion barrels for the Glock 23 and SIG P239.

If you order direct from Bar-Sto, I believe the is quite a long wait. I guess they make them in batches. I would look around for other vendors that have the barrels in stock, you will get much faster delivery. I ordered mine from Tactical Gun Gear, they are a vendor on SIGforum, and offer great service. I just checked and they have barrels for both the Glock 23 and SIG P239 in stock. http://www.tacticalgungear.com/

There are also other companies like Jarvis, that make barrels. You may want to check with them to see if they make conversion barrels. There is also another company, but I can't remember the name.

I believe that 9mm will work in most .40 cal mags, but you might want to test that on the particular gun just to make sure that it will function correctly.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Guest Verbal Kint

I think you'll be happy with either gun, honestly, whether you choose the Sig or the Glock. While I've never owned the P239, I have owned a Sig 229 (in .357Sig) before... and I currently own the Glock 23 in .40S&W.

You'll get mixed reviews from each camp, mostly claiming theirs are better for whatever reason. Guns are like cars... everyone has a favorite brand, and they all prefer theirs over the other. I'm sure you've encountered this as you stated being a Sig owner for years.

Me, personally... I prefer the Glock over the Sig. It's cheaper, more rugged (IMO), and fits me better. I like the weight and balance of it, and it's more streamlined for concealed carry. Don't get me wrong... Sig makes a damn fine handgun. They're just too bulky for my tastes when it comes to every day carry. The P229's slide seemed like a cinder block on a popsicle stick grip. That's the sole reason I sold my P229 and went to an HK P2000sk at the time.

So basically it will all boil down to how much you want to spend and which feels better in your hand and holster. Ignore all the hype and opinions. Either one will easily adapt to 9mm with a replacement barrel, and either one has the barrels readily available. Best advice I can give you is to get to a store and handle them both. Then make your decision. You're lucky in the aspect than any good gun store nowadays will carry both Sigs and Glocks.

Good luck and let us know which one you choose. :rock:

Guest rockytop

I don't think a Sig factory P239 9mm barrel will work in a Sig P239 -40 S&W/357sig frame. The factory 9mm barrel is slightly smaller externally. You will need to use an aftermarket barrel. One alternative is buy two guns for a little more cash. Sounds like good logic to me.

Edited by rockytop
I don't think a Sig factory P239 9mm barrel will work in a Sig P239 -40 S&W/357sig frame. The factory 9mm barrel is slightly smaller externally. You will need to use an aftermarket barrel. One alternative is buy two guns for a little more cash. Sounds like good logic to me.

Correct you MUST get a CONVERSION barrel due to different fitting requirements. Other than that it's pretty easy. As for the Glock, Lone Wolf makes a good economical barrel. It not a match Barsto, Jarvis, KKM, but iot also only cost $100 as opposed to $200+. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4279

I think you'll be happy with either gun, honestly, whether you choose the Sig or the Glock. While I've never owned the P239, I have owned a Sig 229 (in .357Sig) before... and I currently own the Glock 23 in .40S&W.

Me, personally... I prefer the Glock over the Sig. It's cheaper, more rugged (IMO), and fits me better. I like the weight and balance of it, and it's more streamlined for concealed carry.

I am fully confident that either would be a great choice.

I originally intended to carry a Sig P245. Love the 45 caliber, but I'm questioning the 6+1 round capacity. The P239 is pretty much the same form factor, but only offers one additional round in the mag and weighs pretty much the same.

The G23 offers 13+1 .40 rounds at about the same size and weight, with the option to reload with G22 mags. In the long run, I might even pick up a G27 which could also use the bigger mags.

I think I'm talking myself into the Glock.

Edited by Buzz
Guest Verbal Kint
One Glock 23+one Glock 19=$1000.

One Glock 23+one Lone Wolf barrel+two Glock 19 mags=$636.

$364 is more than a little cash to me.

+1

Why spend the money buying two guns, when you can have one gun that WILL perform both duties effectively? :up:

$364 is more than a little cash to me.

[Letterman Voice ON] Its gum money man, its gum money. [Letterman Voice OFF]

Compared to disassembling your firearm at the range and monkeying with barrels and magazines for calibers it wasn’t designed to shoot.

But you are right about one thing.... I sure wouldn’t want to buy two Glocks.:up:

Guest Verbal Kint

Compared to disassembling your firearm at the range and monkeying with barrels and magazines for calibers it wasn’t designed to shoot.

But you are right about one thing.... I sure wouldn’t want to buy two Glocks.:P

a) I really don't see removing your slide and changing out a barrel as being all that difficult. I mean... wow... all of about 30 secs worth of time spent making the swap? It would take longer to reload a magazine with fresh bullets than to switch between 9mm and .40S&W flavors.

B) How is it not designed to shoot the round? The Glock 19/23 are the same platform but just different calibers. Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM, Advantage Arms, EFK, etc all make conversion barrels for the Glock 23. Your argument makes about as much sense as saying no one should ever shoot anything but .223/5.56 out of an AR platform, since it as never designed for anything else. :up:

And, FYI, the aftermarket barrels for Glocks are usually a lot better than the factory barrels in precision and support. You might sacrifice the ability to feed the Glock any and all ammo out there, reliably, but you gain a supported chamber and better precision.

If you don't like Glocks, that's one thing... but don't feed someone looking for facts about handgun purchases a bunch of opinionated garbage.

Edited by Verbal Kint
[Letterman Voice ON] Its gum money man, its gum money. [Letterman Voice OFF]

But you are right about one thing.... I sure wouldn’t want to buy two Glocks.:up:

Dropping in a conversion barrel is no big deal, even at the range. It only takes a minute-- probably less.

I just don't want to spend the money on two Glocks.

Besides, this would let me practice with excatly the same trigger feel as my carry gun.

Ignore all the hype and opinions.
a) If you don't like Glocks, that's one thing... but don't feed someone looking for facts about handgun purchases a bunch of opinionated garbage.

I apologize. I didn’t check the entire thread to see that you had already posted your opinion, next time I will check first.

smilielol5.gif

Good God man, don’t get your panties in a bunch. willy_nilly.gif

9mm in a .40s&w by swapping out the barrels.

There is what? .006" difference? That doesn't sound like something anyone would really want to do for a carry gun or a gun they want to shoot trouble free at the range.

But maybe the failure rates are very low. But I would think extraction would be an issue from time to time if not more.......

But I would think extraction would be an issue from time to time if not more.......

I can't speak for others, but that has not been the case for me. I use a 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel in my SIG P229 (originally .40). It has worked flawlessly, and I would have no problems using it as defensive carry. In addition to a top quality barrel, I use SIG 9mm magazines. I do not use the .40/.357 mags. Most conversion barrel manufacturers say to use the proper mags for the conversion caliber.

• Administrator
I apologize. I didn’t check the entire thread to see that you had already posted your opinion, next time I will check first.

smilielol5.gif

Good God man, don’t get your panties in a bunch. willy_nilly.gif

I have an idea. How about less cute comments and more sticking to the facts or just not participating in technically oriented threads.

I don't mean to single you out, but yours is the most recent post that I've seen like this lately. Opinions are fine as long as they are backed with something a little more substantial. Unsubstantiated opinions are useless.

Guest rockytop
+1

Why spend the money buying two guns, when you can have one gun that WILL perform both duties effectively? :up:

But who is satisfied with only one gun for very long?

Also if you get the P239-9mm and the P239-40S&W or the G26 and the G27, you could carry use one for primary carry and one for back-up. In that case, $364 may not sound like quite so much extra money. However, I do doubt that you could buy two new P239's for $1000.

Guest Verbal Kint
But who is satisfied with only one gun for very long?

Also if you get the P239-9mm and the P239-40S&W or the G26 and the G27, you could carry use one for primary carry and one for back-up. In that case, $364 may not sound like quite so much extra money. However, I do doubt that you could buy two new P239's for $1000.

That's true. More guns is never a bad thing. :up:

Was just going off the OP stating one or the other... so one platform that can handle dual duties is the best option. But I do like the way you think. lol