IWB Holster Recommendations

Guest eyebedam
Milt Sparks VM2. The wait is worth it.

Yeah but you could get 3 MTAC,s for what the Milt would cost & have it withen a week versues almost a year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
It is six months and it is worth the wait. I like leather holsters better. The VM2 only cost $ 25 more.

I've known a couple people that have ordered a VMII (I think for Glocks and 1911's, if I'm not mistaken) and they actually ended up selling it on eBay and going back to their MTAC holsters. Not knocking Milt Sparks as he makes damn nice holsters... but I guess it just goes to show that it really is personal preference, and that Comp-Tac makes just as good products. :)

http://www.thebeltman.net/

I know I keep tossing that link out, whenever someone mentions getting a good gun belt... but his belts truly do kick ass. I received mine as a birthday present from my brother one year, after previously using a reinforced Galco leather belt, and the difference with the "thebeltman's belt" is night and day.

I'm sure you've done at least some digging around already... but search around... everyone that has tried his belts rave about them. Best money you'll spend, next to a good holster, IMO.

Amen, brother...just got my first beltman Friday...it's really super.

I got the 1.5", and while it will hold anything I need it to, I thinking I might just go overkill and also get a 1.75 incher also.

- OS

Guest Verbal Kint
Amen, brother...just got my first beltman Friday...it's really super.

I got the 1.5", and while it will hold anything I need it to, I thinking I might just go overkill and also get a 1.75 incher also.

- OS

Yep, have one of his belts, in black, in the 1.5" width. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

Yep, have one of his belts, in black, in the 1.5" width. Couldn't be happier with it. :)

Glad to be hearing these good reports. Like I said, I will be buying from him once my belt needs arise again. I saw for $10 bucks more, you can get the velcro sewn in!

On the confirmation from Comp-Tac they said something like 4-6 weeks before I would get them, got an email yesterday afternoon, that they are sending them out either that night or today! Man, their cust service rocks.

Guest Verbal Kint

On the confirmation from Comp-Tac they said something like 4-6 weeks before I would get them, got an email yesterday afternoon, that they are sending them out either that night or today! Man, their cust service rocks.

Yep, they always came way under quoted times (in my experiences with them). Actually waiting on another holster from them at the moment. Ordered it late Saturday evening, went into production yesterday morning, and I'm willing to bet it is finished and ready to ship by the end of today / early tomorrow. They quoted an estimate of 8 days currently but, as I said, they always come under that time frame. :)

• Administrator

Just as an aside...

I carried my Wilson Combat 1911 in my Milt Sparks VM2 on Saturday. It was comfortable but I found myself wishing that I had carried it in my MTAC instead every time I went to re-holster the weapon. The Kydex shell on the MTAC makes it far easier to reholster the weapon than the all-leather VM2 does.

Guest flyfishtn

David, interesting that you say that. My VM2 is comfy and my TRP seems reholster easier in it than with the MTAC.

To each his own. I just found it to be an interesting contrast.

Now my XD .45 Service holster REAL easy in my MTAC. I guess being broken in is a good thing. :up:

Guest eyebedam
http://www.thebeltman.net/

I know I keep tossing that link out, whenever someone mentions getting a good gun belt... but his belts truly do kick ass. I received mine as a birthday present from my brother one year, after previously using a reinforced Galco leather belt, and the difference with the "thebeltman's belt" is night and day.

I'm sure you've done at least some digging around already... but search around... everyone that has tried his belts rave about them. Best money you'll spend, next to a good holster, IMO.

Did he spank you with it first?:up:

• Administrator
David, interesting that you say that. My VM2 is comfy and my TRP seems reholster easier in it than with the MTAC.

To each his own. I just found it to be an interesting contrast.

Now my XD .45 Service holster REAL easy in my MTAC. I guess being broken in is a good thing. :up:

I found that the trigger guard was wanting to hang on the outer lip of the VM2 when reholstering. Not a big deal, but a little annoying at times.

Guest flyfishtn
I found that the trigger guard was wanting to hang on the outer lip of the VM2 when reholstering. Not a big deal, but a little annoying at times.

I can see that and it may be where I wear mine that I don't experience that.

Guest Verbal Kint
Ordered it late Saturday evening, went into production yesterday morning, and I'm willing to bet it is finished and ready to ship by the end of today / early tomorrow. They quoted an estimate of 8 days currently but, as I said, they always come under that time frame. :tough:

Just an update, from when I placed the order Saturday evening, 18th.

---

10/18/2008 Pending

10/20/2008 In Production.

We appreciate your order. Our production process is currently running about 8 days. You will be notified as soon as your order is complete and ready to ship. Thank you, Comp-tac Customer Service 281-209-3040

10/22/2008 Shipped

Hello, I just want to let you know that your order will be taken to the post office today. Thanks and have a great day! Tiffany

---

As you can see it only took 3 of the 8 quoted days for production, and it's already on it's way here via USPS Priority. I should have it by the weekend. Once again, Comp-Tac rocks and comes in under their quoted time. :up:

Guest eyebedam

You have smarties coming to. Ummm Smarties. I checked the beltmans site. I would really like to get a shark belt but @ 129.00 its a little more than I want to spend. Has anyone gotten a belt from rafters gun leather I just wonder how they would compare as far as quality goes?

I sure do like Smarties!

3 days from order, they are here. Came with two clips, the other side of the velcro, 4 strips, a new allen bolt wrench and of course smarties. The invoice had in big letters a handwritten with a Sharpie, Thanks David! :lol: Jenn.

Off to the shoe repair shop!

I'm a D.M. Bullard fan, great blend of quality/price, and he has most already ready to ship.

Here's my fav IWB holster, the Dual Carry, for your gun:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1565531/Detail.bok?no=343

Descriptive page:

http://www.dmbullardleather.com/1429711.html

Has money back guarantee if you don't like it.

Lots of folks here and everywhere swear by the Crossbreed or MTAC, and I'm sure they are fine products, but I just love all leather (although I use a Kydex pocket holster also).

- OS

I just got a Crossbreed last week. I sure wish I had seen your post before I ordered; I would much rather have leather.

Guest Verbal Kint

Well... just received the new MTAC for the G23, and the holster itself looks great as always. However, they botched my order and didn't send me the requested C-Clips like I asked. They just sent it out with the standard clips. After 5-6 holsters from them, I guess my stellar streak with them had to end sometime. :-\

Not only did they ignore my initial order request, but they failed to follow their own included documentation. The invoice states "1.5 Black C-Clips" and the holster sheet states "1.5 C-mounts". So obviously their QC department just failed at their job.

I've got an email into them, with scans of the paperwork and photo of the holster, but they're not open on the weekend. Hopefully they own up to the mistake and send out the required mounts. I guess I'll have to wait another week before using the MTAC.

Score, for this dealing... 5/10.

Next time I'll give Raven Concealment a try. Comp-Tac's sloppiness in this order has given me the excuse to try out Raven's Phantom line of holsters next time around.

FWIW... Tiffany signed off on my papers. Maybe I should have asked for Jenn. :lol:

Well... just received the new MTAC for the G23, and the holster itself looks great as always. However, they botched my order and didn't send me the requested C-Clips like I asked. They just sent it out with the standard clips. After 5-6 holsters from them, I guess my stellar streak with them had to end sometime. :-

Not only did they ignore my initial order request, but they failed to follow their own included documentation. The invoice states "1.5 Black C-Clips" and the holster sheet states "1.5 C-mounts". So obviously their QC department just failed at their job.

I've got an email into them, with scans of the paperwork and photo of the holster, but they're not open on the weekend. Hopefully they own up to the mistake and send out the required mounts. I guess I'll have to wait another week before using the MTAC.

Score, for this dealing... 5/10.

Next time I'll give Raven Concealment a try. Comp-Tac's sloppiness in this order has given me the excuse to try out Raven's Phantom line of holsters next time around.

FWIW... Tiffany signed off on my papers. Maybe I should have asked for Jenn. :lol:

Maybe it is just you.:D

I'm sure they will make it right.

Give them a call and ask for Gordon Carroll. Comp-Tac has a top-notch product, but they are having minor internal issues. They royally pissed me off back about two months ago, but avoided losing a customer by making it right QUICKLY. They sent me a right-handed holster after I made the guy on the phone confirm that it would be left-handed several times. Also, I requested UPS or FedEx ground, since they sent my first holster signature required throught the post office. My post office closes at 5, and is not open at all on weekends. This makes it nearly impossible to get. Went I got the holster, I think I was more pissed about the $22 shipping charge for UPS ground than I was about it being wrong-handed. Anyway, Gordon Carroll is the new president or VP of operations or something, and one of his jobs is to troubleshoot problems like mine, and prevent future occurances. A friend of a friend (who knew he would want to talk to me) gave him my number, and until that conversation, I had sworn off anything else from Comp-Tac.

Basically, I believe Comp-Tac has outgrown its infrastructure, and Mr. Carroll is tasked with fixing that. They are about to become a UPS shipper (part of the reason that my shipping was retarded expensive is because they only have an account with the post office). They are investing a pile of money in new software for orders, processing, shipping, etc. I talked with him for probably 45 minutes on two different occasions, and wanted to go work for them after talking to him.

Don't give up on them--talk to them Monday, let them know you're pissed, and give them a second chance. I believe they are experiencing growing pains because their product is so good, not because they are incompetent or don't care.

Edited by deerslayer
Guest Verbal Kint

Just received an email from Comp-Tac, via Josh Kellogg (whatever capacity he serves there), and he apologized for the mistake. Said he would be sending out the requested C-Clips in today's mail. :)

Guest flyfishtn

Comp-Tac botched my first order. Actually sent me someone else's order. They took care of it and even shipped it overnight to make up for with more smarties and a return label on their dime.

That is first class. :)

Guest Verbal Kint

As aside note, I went ahead and wore the holster with the G23 all day yesterday. Would have preferred the C-Clips, but wasn't about to go unarmed while waiting on a trivial issue such as that. Excellent level of comfort and concealability, as expected from the MTAC holster. Wore it under a t-shirt and polo shirt and no one was any the wiser.

One thing that I, and only I realized, was that I forgot to cut the length down on the mounting clips... and it was pressing outward against my jeans. That's one thing people should be aware of and remember to do. Comp-Tac sends the clips to you with several holes to mount and adjust the holster accordingly... but it's a good idea to cut the excess clip material off, below the selected mounting hole, flush with the leather backing. This will avoid any potential printing issues.

Just finished cutting my standard clips down, with a dremel tool, and then sanding/rounding them for a finished look. Not only does it look better, but it conceals better as stated above. I'll be doing the same thing with the C-Clips when they arrive.

Just figured I'd toss the suggestion out there, as some people might not think about doing it. :)