S&W E-Series Bobtail Grip Safety

Fourtyfive

I have been looking into buying a E-Series SW1911sc bobtail and after looking at the LGS and GB I have noticed there are apparently two different grip safeties coming out of the factory. Is there a certain serial number that they changed this ? I prefer the smaller hump , the larger one is just plain fugly.

pix896995010_zps092b7ece.jpg

pix189961465_zps1d207340.jpg

pix247938354_zpsb9e74a2f.jpg

pix390420361_zpscc0c4ad4.jpg

Edited by Threeeighty
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of they're 1911's are a bit sloppy. If you ever go somewhere where you can see several S&Ws at once you'll notice the checkering is very very inconsistent. I'm not even a big 1911 guy and I notice it right off the bat. Take a look at a sig in the same price point. The machining and fitting is typically better.

Is the second pic. a used gun, it looks like someone may have changed it out but I'm really not sure. I haven't seen a Grip Safety shaped liked that, sure looks like some shoddy work. I would look at some other brands in the same price range, I would get a Springfield Range Officer or a Springfield Loaded, to me they are better built than the S&W, besides the E-Series was built to compete with some other High end 1911's but I feel they fall short. Look at D&W also not bad, and price is right close to the S&W E-series. Are you set on the Bob Tail?

Edited by tjc357
Guest drv2fst

I've owned, carried, and shot an S&W SC PD which was the predecessor to the E-Series.  I really liked that gun.  I sold it because I plan to get the E-Series with the Bobtail.  I think they are great guns.  

It looks to me like the owner of that odd E-Series probably modified it himself.  I would be suspect that the gun is not factory original.

Oh, I thought the OP was referencing the blending of the mainspring housing.  Bad comprehension on my part...  After re-reading, I see you are talking about the grip safety itself.  It does look like it was replaced as does the checkered mainspring housing.

That is one ugly gun though with all the rollmarks and snake skin cocking serrations.

Edited by sigmtnman

I don't mean to rain on your party but I bought that very gun when they first came out. it was a total piece of crap. never got it to fire a full mag of ammo without a ftf or fte. I sent it back to s&w 2 different times. the first time they replaced the barrel and the second time they "refitted " all the parts. no improvement after either repair. I had 6 or 7 different people shoot the gun all with same results so it was not just me. I finally came to my senses and traded it on a Glock 21sf and have not looked back. while I have never been a fan of the 1911 platform I thought I would see if I could warm up to them with smith's best effort but that was not to be. Hope this gun works out for you but I think I will just stay with my glocks.

Sacrilege! Heresy! Foul curses on thee, knave!

I love my Smiths, but unlike the ugly ass POS Glock that has never malf'ed on me, my Gunsite Edition Smith 1911 just doesn't hold up well in that comparison.

And I have quite a few Smiths, at least by my standards.