AR-7.62 39

Flyboy

Looking at building my TGO upper and lower into something different. Now that the price of this ammo has dropped back down, is there a build worth doing in the 7.62, or should I just go with the 300BO. Seems with what little reserch I have done on the subject I didn't know if they where any more reliable these days. Looking to build a cheap to shoot AR. 

What the word out there on a AK-AR build.

Flyboy

I've had folks speak passionately about them not feeding reliably.. That being said I have run a total of 4-500 rounds through two different AR's in this chambering  with absolutely zero issues whatsoever. Also this weekend I ran a few mags through a Sig 556 chambered in 7.62x39 and it also ran flawlessly. While my experience isn't extremely extensive I feel like if they were truly problematic I would have had at least one snag. I'm sure there are others that have run one more than myself that will chime in. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a crap load when it was 10-12 cents a round.

Not sure what a crap load is but I'd have bought a moving truck full if I could get it for 10-12 cents per round... Then I'd have gone about finding a rifle to shoot it with!

Well I went with the 5.45, took it to the range today. Ran Great with Metal mags, as long as I didn't go over 25 or so. P mags where a NO GO!!

Just order some 5.45 metal mags. to see if it will run with 30 under it. If not running metal mags with 25 isn't an issue. Mostly for range use anyway. 

Cheap Shooting for sure and a better thump then the elusive .22

FlyBoy

So, you are using a standard ar 15 lower and a 5.45 upper? Sounds intriguing. I have a ak 74 in 5.45 but for some reason, the ar platform keeps pulling me in.

I built the upper with Voo Doo Inovation parts, the lower is stock except for a wolf heavy spring.

FlyBoy

Well I went with the 5.45, took it to the range today. Ran Great with Metal mags, as long as I didn't go over 25 or so. P mags where a NO GO!!

Just order some 5.45 metal mags. to see if it will run with 30 under it. If not running metal mags with 25 isn't an issue. Mostly for range use anyway. 

Cheap Shooting for sure and a better thump then the elusive .22

FlyBoy

I run P-MAGS in my 5.45. You have to cut the front leg off the follower even with it.  Rumor is the E-Mag will work with no mods. I have several of the C-Product 5.45 mags and have never had any issues in my S&W AR that I use.

I also use a standard hammer spring with no issues.

Edited by R1100R