Out of State Armslist Safe Transaction Question

runco

I may have found my unicorn gun today on Armslist.  Problem, its out of state, like really far out of state.  I have already reached out to the seller about sending it to my local FFL if it checks out.  He said he would.  Now here is the gamble and risk.  If the additional pictures that I have requested prove what I have been looking for, I want the gun.  Whats the best and safest payment method?  I do know I will bare the blind trust until the gun arrives.  I buy stuff off of ebay and gun broker all the time, but this is a real gamble. 

What say you?  Any experience?  Any advice?  Would having him to use his local FFL lessen the risk any?

....  Would having him to use his local FFL lessen the risk any?

Catch 22. How is he gonna make the effort to turn a gun over to FFL for shipping so you can verify by phone with FFL before you pay him?

When you pay him first, how you gonna know he's using an FFL to ship, or ship at all?

Does Armslist have a feedback rating like Gunbroker? (sorry, I've never perused it enough to notice). I assume there's no way to use plastic to pay him, right?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I'd start by finding out if he participated on any other forums and had an street cred. 

I've sold guns across country and been on the selling end, but I'd be much more leery on the purchasing end.

As far as the FFL checking it out, that is hit or miss.  What is in perfect shape to them could be less than perfect to you.

As far as payment, I've always asked for USPS MO.

Edited by sigmtnman

Catch 22. How is he gonna make the effort to turn a gun over to FFL for shipping so you can verify by phone with FFL before you pay him?

When you pay him first, how you gonna know he's using an FFL to ship, or ship at all?

Does Armslist have a feedback rating like Gunbroker? (sorry, I've never perused it enough to notice). I assume there's no way to use plastic to pay him, right?

- OS

No rating.  That is the problem.  Truly placing my trust in a total stranger 2,000+ miles away.  Giving him ~$500 blindly with his word he will ship the gun to my FFL.  That is a big risk.  My good judgment is at risk of being cloudy in hopes to land this unicorn. 

Edited by Runco

No rating.  That is the problem.  Truly placing my trust in a total stranger 2,000+ miles away.  Giving him ~$500 blindly with his word he will ship the gun to my FFL.  That is a big risk.  My good judgment is at risk of being cloudy in hopes to land this unicorn. 

I know it's a unicorn, but I'd be nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs about sending that money and waiting, hoping for a gun to show up.

As far as the FFL checking it out, that is hit or miss.  What is in perfect shape to them could be less than perfect to you.

Not to mention that an FFL on his end isn't likely to do anything with his gun without getting paid whatever amount, unless he happens to have a very good relationship with one.

- OS

You could call an FFL in that persons area and see if they would be willing to act as an escrow.  You send them payment in the form of MO or Cashiers check they hold it until he brings in gun to be shipped to you.  

I think in this case it would also be reasonable for you to pay the FFL for their troubles

Edited by c.a.willard
  • Like 2

You could call an FFL in that persons area and see if they would be willing to act as an escrow.  You send them payment in the form of MO or Cashiers check they hold it until he brings in gun to be shipped to you.  

I think in this case it would also be reasonable for you to pay the FFL for their troubles

^^Good idea! That would make me feel a lot better.

• Moderators
[quote name="c.a.willard" post="1114867" timestamp="1393041121"]You could call an FFL in that persons area and see if they would be willing to act as an escrow. You send them payment in the form of MO or Cashiers check they hold it until he brings in gun to be shipped to you. I think in this case it would also be reasonable for you to pay the FFL for their troubles[/quote] This. Call a highly regarded FFL in the area, explain the situation, and offer them $25-$50 pure profit on top of what you are paying for the gun and shipping. Send the money to the FFL, but only after the FFL has possession of the firearm. You of course will have to instruct the Seller to go to the FFL. The only way I would try doing it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this.  That is why I posted my question.

Instead, you could use a 3rd-party escrow company (not an FFL) to hold the payment; one that has a dispute resolution process clearly outlined that both of you look over & agree to. That way the FFL wouldn't be stuck trying to arbitrate between you if something goes wrong, or worse, screw one of you over in some way.

Guest TankerHC

Instead, you could use a 3rd-party escrow company (not an FFL) to hold the payment; one that has a dispute resolution process clearly outlined that both of you look over & agree to. That way the FFL wouldn't be stuck trying to arbitrate between you if something goes wrong, or worse, screw one of you over in some way.

This is the way, have done it several times through Gunbroker and it works fine. Use Tradiator.

EDIT: Forgot that Tradiator can only be used through 3rd party sites, I dont see Armslist listed as one of them But there are several out there that will do guns.

Edited by TankerHC

I've bought several from out of state. Safest way I've found is to get a third party involved, as several have already stated.

My method after finding said firearm:

Search the local ffl/gunshop first.

Then search that ffl or shops reputation.

Then I will call them and let me know what I have in mind. I've been shot down several times or was given a price beyond what I wanted to pay. But I always ended up finding someone.

Establish a price for handling such a task with the ffl.

Then pursue the seller and the firearm.

I usually let them know right up front that I already have an ffl in the area ready to take possession of the firearm and take care of the entire transfer.

If they suggest their own "buddy ffl" that will do it for free then for me I am out. I've done the leg work and they insist on using their guy ??? First sign of an ass raping IMO.

Keep in mind this way of doing business adds up. Usually I add $100 to whatever I am paying for the firearm. Luckily I've learned unless the piece is old and a odd bird it will eventually turn up locally. Even if locally means the other side of the state.

One part I didn't add was the exchange of money.

I've sent money to the seller but those were under unique circumstances.

Easier way was to send a usps money order to the FFL or gunshop in the sellers name. That way they have to come to the shop to make the deal. And for safety I have sent it registered so it would be signed for by someone at the shop.

There are safe ways to do it, but they are also costly. But then again, what's a unicorn worth these days :ugh:

I've bought several from out of state. Safest way I've found is to get a third party involved, as several have already stated.

My method after finding said firearm:

Search the local ffl/gunshop first.

Then search that ffl or shops reputation.

Then I will call them and let me know what I have in mind. I've been shot down several times or was given a price beyond what I wanted to pay. But I always ended up finding someone.

Establish a price for handling such a task with the ffl.

Then pursue the seller and the firearm.

I usually let them know right up front that I already have an ffl in the area ready to take possession of the firearm and take care of the entire transfer.

If they suggest their own "buddy ffl" that will do it for free then for me I am out. I've done the leg work and they insist on using their guy ??? First sign of an ass raping IMO.

Keep in mind this way of doing business adds up. Usually I add $100 to whatever I am paying for the firearm. Luckily I've learned unless the piece is old and a odd bird it will eventually turn up locally. Even if locally means the other side of the state.

Thank you.  Very good advice here.  The guy is over-due on sending my pictures, maybe it will fall through.

Was it in response to your WTB ad or did you find their ad?

I have bought several guns from individuals in the past few months. It was nerve racking but it worked out fine. I am not a very trusting person when it comes to my money but I do have some trust in mankind. The vast majority of the ads on any of the sites are legitimate ads. If you found their ad I would say that it is legitimate. Now if they responded to your WTB ad I would be very, very cautious.

I would ask for the serial number of the gun then ask for a picture of the serial number. If there are signs the picture has been edited then pass.

I would also do a google image search of the first picture he sent you. I was looking for a gun and put up a WTB ad. I had someone contact me saying they had one and everything seemed legitimate until I did a google image search. That search turned up the exact same photo they sent me had been first put up on the web a long, long time ago.

Make sure ALL communication about the deal is done through email or social media so there is a record. Do not work out the deal by phone only. But do ask for their number and call it. If they refuse to answer or call you with a blocked number then pass on the deal. Also, search the area code to ensure it is in the area they are supposedly from. If they do not match then pass.

For payment I have always used a postal money order. If they want payment though paypal or by cash then pass.

If the price seems too good to be true then pass. My biggest clue I was trying to be scammed was when a person was willing to sell me an $800 gun for $250.

Look them up on Facebook. I had one scammer that turned out to be a stripper out of Florida.

Was it in response to your WTB ad or did you find their ad?

I have bought several guns from individuals in the past few months. It was nerve racking but it worked out fine. I am not a very trusting person when it comes to my money but I do have some trust in mankind. The vast majority of the ads on any of the sites are legitimate ads. If you found their ad I would say that it is legitimate. Now if they responded to your WTB ad I would be very, very cautious.

I would ask for the serial number of the gun then ask for a picture of the serial number. If there are signs the picture has been edited then pass.

I would also do a google image search of the first picture he sent you. I was looking for a gun and put up a WTB ad. I had someone contact me saying they had one and everything seemed legitimate until I did a google image search. That search turned up the exact same photo they sent me had been first put up on the web a long, long time ago.

Make sure ALL communication about the deal is done through email or social media so there is a record. Do not work out the deal by phone only. But do ask for their number and call it. If they refuse to answer or call you with a blocked number then pass on the deal. Also, search the area code to ensure it is in the area they are supposedly from. If they do not match then pass.

For payment I have always used a postal money order. If they want payment though paypal or by cash then pass.

If the price seems too good to be true then pass. My biggest clue I was trying to be scammed was when a person was willing to sell me an $800 gun for $250.

Look them up on Facebook. I had one scammer that turned out to be a stripper out of Florida.

Thanks for the information.  I have several search engines on Armslist.  So the ad is legitimate.  The price is a "make an offer" price, which I will, but only he sends me the pictures that asked for including the s/n.  50% of me wants the deal to fall through, but the impatient kid in me what really wants the gun, wants the gun really really bad.

Its over, I turned my heels.  He sent me the pictures, and a very nice guy.  No doubt he has a Glock 32 Gen2, but from what I have seen in person and from my research, most if not all Glock 32 Gen2 have the roll mark "Sig .357" on the slide.  His has like all Gen3 and Gen4 ".357" roll marks.  He also changed his posting from make an offer to $800 which includes 8 magazines and one extra barrel for 40.  The 8 mags alone would be worth ~$200 and the barrel, being a factory barrel ~$150, which would give his gun being around ~$450.  Not a bad deal, and if this was local, I would buy it.  But I want the Glock 32 Gen2 to complete my Gen2 collection, and again from what I have read and seen in person, it must have "Sig .357" roll marks.

If anyone is interested here is his listing:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2718602/medford-oregon-handguns-for-sale--glock-32--357-sig-gen--2-with-extra-glock--40-s-w-barrel---night-sights