Please help ID Russian rifle

Vistar

The photo below appeared in today's Wall Street Journal shows carbine carriered by supposed Russian troops at Simferopol Airport in Crimea Ukrain. Is this an AN94? I thought production of the AN94 had been put on hold for economic reasons? If not an AN94, do you know what it is? (I'd like one of those in my arsenal.)

d8e834.jpeg

That's such a small picture it's hard to tell.  I don't think it is an AN94 because the muzzle brake isn't correct (or not on ones I've seen).  I think I would lean toward a standard AK with a ported style brake over a slant brake. AK 74 maybe?

EDIT* Garufa beat me to it.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

AK-74M

the 103 is the newer version of the 74m, so we both could be right. I went with 103 mainly because it is newer variant. After quick reserch the 103 is mainly for export, so I guess it comes down to which military issued it.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
[quote name="Superman" post="1118591" timestamp="1393711966"]That has the AK100 series folder on it. It folds to the left side and locks into place. The button is to release the lock to unfold it[/quote] Thanks - seems like you might accidentally press the button while firing?
But, but the news all calls them unidentified paramilitary! How does a paramilitary gunman get the latest and greatest... unless they are Russian. These news reporters are all dumbasses. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Without a magazine in it, it is impossible (for me at least) to determine.

But both the Russian and Ukraine military use 5.45x39, so most likely it is an AK-74M.

I think it's unlikely that it is an AK-103 which is 7.62x39 and not commonly issued by either Russian or Ukraine.

Agreed, definitely a 100-series AK due to being russian, having a '74 style break, having the 100-series folding stock, and the newer 90 degree gas block.  While I am sure they still have plenty of 7.62 flavor rifles floating around I don't think these guys, being active military forces, would deploy with anything other than 5.45 rifles as that is the cartridge the Russian military has decided a long time ago to continue on with.

Expensive uniform and variety of weapons suggest that those guys belong to spetsnaz rather than marines. Navi spetsnaz usually guards really valuable assets like nuclear submarines. I did not expect them patroling streets

Expensive uniform and variety of weapons suggest that those guys belong to spetsnaz rather than marines. Navi spetsnaz usually guards really valuable assets like nuclear submarines. I did not expect them patroling streets

Not really, that equipment is standard issue Russian army. Also Spetsnaz encompasses ALOT more than you think and is more of an umbrella term. It's their equivalent to JSOC or Spec Ops really but not one individual unit.

Edited by whitewolf001