Howdy folks

Guest sigequinox

Guest sigequinox

Hello free men and women,

I didn't see a subforum for TN gun stores and being my first post, I figured this is an appropriate place to start.

My wife and I are planning to move to TN by this time next year. We are visiting Franklin/Nashville at the end of May (more of an exploratory mission than a vacation). Our goal is to pretend like we live in TN for a few days to get a feel for the culture and day-to-day life (as opposed to going to all the typical tourist spots). 

A basic google search shows that Franklin has quite a few gun stores ( yayyyy) and I was hoping you guys might be able to steer me in the direction of maybe 2 or 3 that are the most worthwhile.

Thanks a lot guys (and gals) . I look forward to our visit and hopefully our eventual move.

-----------------------------------------

A little bio so I don't need to make another thread...

My wife and I are 25 and 26 respectively. We currently reside in the greater Hartford area of CT. She is a pharmaceutical sales rep and I work in the biotech industry (currently a genetic analyst). Due to the nature of my job--her industry exists pretty much everywhere--we are more or less constrained to middle TN and, to a lesser extent, greater Memphis area.

We love guns, we love freedom, we love small government. We are very open minded and excited to assimilate to the Southern culture. We are not moving on the single issue of cost of living, so our goal is to leave all of this super liberal garbage up North, not take it with us! We are leaving because of it all, the attack on our freedoms, the COL, the rising taxes justified by school systems which are in decline, the change in market/business demographics (leaving north and setting up shop in The South), etc. We are young goal oriented conservatives and as such we want to follow opportunity, and opportunity is moving south as entitlement replaces it in the north.

Did I say I love guns?

Safe shootin!

-Andrew

Edited by sigequinox
Guest sigequinox

Pre --- Welcome!... just got a 227 under your screen name.   :up:   If your going to be in Franklin..well you must have some $$$... costs higher in that area. 

We are young so we don't have a lot of savings--put most of it down on the house we are in now-- but we make good money for our age and we have the house as an asset. And congrats on the 227. I love me a Sig!

Did you not see what he and his old lady do for a living? 

SAW it all....just trying to say or (warn) // be neighborly so to speak... I know my wife and I appreciated it when we moved from MD.  Thanks BTW to  Hickok45 among others for all their knowledge and help before we moved here.  

Edited by sigrug17

SAW it all....just trying to say or (warn) // be neighborly so to speak... I know my wife and I appreciated it when we moved from MD.  Thanks BTW to  Hickok45 among others for all their knowledge and help before we moved here.

Get out, Hickok45 is here?

I love his videos. When we move there having a range like that on my property is a must have.

Which leads me to a couple questions. Is there any areas that you can't have a range? Also is there. Minimum amount of area you need for a range? How about inspections from either the state or sheriff?
Guest sigequinox

I love his videos. When we move there having a range like that on my property is a must have.

Which leads me to a couple questions. Is there any areas that you can't have a range? Also is there. Minimum amount of area you need for a range? How about inspections from either the state or sheriff?

I shoot on my property even here in CT. Most rules regarding distances from houses etc are only enforced as HUNTING ordinances, NOT target shooting. The fact that Hickok45 shoots on his property is evidence there is no state level ordinance. When you are figuring out what municipality you are moving to you will have to see if they have any additional local laws regarding the "discharge of a firearm". I doubt many in TN have such an ordinance.

Paul, one thing you might want to keep in mind if it matters to you is that a lot of rural TN towns are "dry". I'm no drinker, but I love a bourbon now and then and would personally try to avoid somewhere that is dry. YMMV.

Inside city limits is usually a problem. No inspections necessary. I think you will wind up with more problems from whiny neighbors than the law. Just ask lots of questions before you buy. I shot AR's, including a .458 SOCOM in a guys back yard in the Ashland City area. He maybe had 3 acres, with houses all around. He had pushed up a dirt pile as a backstop.

Hickock doesn't come around much, but is right outside the Nashville area. I think he stays pretty busy with his Youtube stuff