TulAmmo *silver* bullets?

I just got a mixed case of 9mm TulAmmo, and several boxes had *silver* colored bullets instead of the normal brass/copper-washed color. (I didn't know I had ordered werewolf ammo!)

Has anyone else seen these?

CopyofIMG_2960_zpsdbeb1401.jpg

The paper boxes are all exactly the same. There are three different lot / date codes on the inside flaps, and each color bullet stays consistent with each code.

Code #1 (brass color):

LOT Z699-13

06-12

Code #2 (silver color):

LOT Z714-13

24-12

Code #3 (brass color):

LOT Z723-14

20-01

CopyofIMG_2961_zpsa1768ae6.jpg

Left to right:

- TulAmmo steel case (polymer coated), with brass-colored bimetal jacket

- TulAmmo steel case (polymer coated), with silver-colored bimetal jacket

(for reference)

- Brown Bear steel case (lacquer-coated), with copper-colored bimetal jacket

- Federal brass case, with copper jacket

All are 115 gr. FMJ

Doing a cursory internet search, I only found a few references on other forums where people had received these. They were all within the last year or so, and while no one had any hard info, the general response was that they thought the silver color was a zinc coating (or possibly the natural color of the bimetal jacket), and that the rounds shot just the same as the regular brass-colored bullets.

Can anyone else fill me in?

I've got a few 9mm as well that looked like this. If I've got the box still, I will look up the lot number. I thought it was possibly a bullet that just didn't go through the copper wash process? I don't know how that works! Maybe you should just call it a steel bullet and not bimetal lol.

but, but, but on TV it kills them?

Where on TV? Name a movie or show where they are killing vampires with silver bullets, and I'll campaign to have the writer blackballed from the profession. ;)

Take it from Anne Rice -- if anybody knows her vamps, it is she:

" by Kai Ryssdal

Monday, June 11, 2012 (All day)

This final note today, a correction of sorts. Friday we were talking about how silver bullets can kill vampires. One of you tweeted us to say we got it wrong -- it's silver bullets for werewolves, not vampires.

Anne Rice: We'll he's absolutely right. Traditionally a silver bullet is supposed to kill a werewolf. Vampires are not particularly affected by silver bullets. Traditionally what kills vampires is a wooden stake through the heart. Now that doesn't affect my vampires, but that's what kills the run-of-the-mill, all-world vampires.

A silver bullet right through the heart usually kills a werewolf... I think with all supernatural creatures, if you can decapitate them you can pretty much do away with them."

- OS

True Blood vampires are highly allergic to silver.  Matter of fact that's how they're bound when captured, by simple silver chains.  Now a silver bullet will mess them up pretty good but not necessarily kill them.

I have not seen a TulAmmo silver bullet.  I'll have to check my one box tonight.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

In the Monster Hunter International series of books, they use silver as their standard round for everything. Even though it doesn't inflict mortal damage on vampires, it still hurts them.

A small quote from the first book:

She laughed, and it was such a pretty laugh. I reluctantly handed her gun back. She reinserted the magazine, chambered a round, and then took the mag out to top it off with the extracted round she still had in her hand. She paused for a second and then tossed it to me. Reflexively I snatched it out of the air.

Examining the cartridge, I noticed it was a strange design. The case was normal brass, but the bullet itself was different. It was shaped like an ordinary .45 bullet, except that it appeared to be a standard jacketed hollowpoint, with a shiny metallic ball filling the cavity. The two pieces appeared to be sealed together into a solid projectile.

"What's this?

"Contrary to the Lone Ranger, silver bullets really suck compared to good old-fashioned lead. Silver's too hard, and it doesn't fully engage the rifling. It's lighter than lead, so you get really lightweight projectiles with lousy accuracy. It's pretty useless except for one thing: it's the only thing that will kill some of the stuff we face."

"Why is that, anyway?" I asked.

"Nobody knows for sure, but we have some theories. Most popular is it is a violent reaction of evil creatures to the thirty pieces of silver that Judas was paid. The Vatican's Hunter team says that it is because silver is a pure metal that represents goodness, while lead is a base metal of the earth. You get other weird ideas from Wiccans and mystics, but even science is stumped why silver works so much better on bona fide evil creatures. All we know is that it does. Lycanthropes can't regenerate, and even vampires feel pain from silver."

"Looks like a Corbon Pow'r Ball." That was a type of regular defensive ammunition that I had used a few times before. It used a ball stuck in a hollow cavity designed to squish back to force expansion of the bullet on impact, thereby increasing the severity of the wound.

"Good call. That's who we stole the idea from. The ball in front is pure silver. It penetrates well, and as the silver is forced back it expands the traditional lead slug around it. Usually the silver fragments off after a few inches and leaves a separate wound cavity. Best of both worlds. Still works like a regular bullet, shoots like a regular bullet, but enough silver to do a number on evil. We have them made for us specifically. They cost a fortune, so we only make them in .45 for pistols and subguns, and .308 for rifles. When we need lots of silver up close and fast, we use a modified silver double-aught buckshot."

"Now you're talking my language." I held up the bullet. "So I guess that's what the Feds were going to shoot me with if I had been infected."

"Nope, they use a sintered metal. Silver powder encased in a polymer matrix. Neat stuff, but the company that makes it only sells to the government." She caught the bullet when I tossed it back. She loaded it back in the magazine, inserted that back into her 1911 and reholstered without looking.

All blasphemy, these Johnny-Come-Lately authors tacking their twisted takes on the true mythology. Next they'll be using crucifixes on werewolves.

Bram Stoker is the Moses of Vampire-ism, Hammer Films delivered its Commandments, and Coppola finalized its Revelations.

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book". !!

;)

- OS

• Like 1

a lot of cheap foreign ammo is "bi-metal" jacketed which is a nice way to say "copper wash over steel jackets".  The copper is *supposedly* thick enough to not damage your barrel, and the steel reinforces it so it behaves as a jacketed round should.  Its just cheaper: they have a lot of steel, and they do not have a lot of copper (hence the steel cases as well).

So at a guess a few slip thru the works and miss being dipped in the copper paint.  This is only a guess.  They could be using zinc or something else as well.  All I know is, they keep the copper to a minimum.

Edited by Jonnin

"HA" and again I say "HA"

Give the character a silver bullet. This will only kill a vampire if it goes through the heart,[6] but even if it doesn't kill the vampire, it is toxic and will slow the vampire down. A silver bullet hanging on a necklace can be effective for cosplay and costumes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-a-Vampire

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: