New AR Build

that_guy

Overall I like it, I would add a BCM charging handle though. Totally worth the cost and IMO is a huge improvement over the mil spec. I like the large ones.

Other than that I would maybe look into a keymod handguard to save some weight. Plus I'm just not a fan of quad rails. Too bulky and uncomfortable.

As to optics, we're back to the whole matter of what are you using it for.

Here's mine as it sits,

23666818-5D8B-44BC-9716-095FABAEFE5E-134

It has a vortex SPARC and vortex magnifier. The setup works ok, pretty well actually for what I expect which is quick targeting and being able to do so from 10-100 yards. Accuracy isn't fantastic, but it works well enough to put you on target. Just don't expect admirable groups. Probably great for steel shooting.

I'm swapping out the current setup soon for a higher power option. I'm looking at models from Nikon and Bushells that are apparently designed around the rifle/cartridge and are around the $200 mark. I'm going to try to milk some accuracy out of it while still holding to the budget. I've got around 1k into minus the vortex stuff I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on the new scope.

That looks real nice. I was going to use the BCM Mod 3 charging handle, just forgot to put it in the list. And as for the handguard, if I decide I want to get rid of the quad rail, I will put it up somewhere and (hopefully) trade it for a Troy VTAC or Alpha rail, or a Geissele SMR.

Edited by that_guy
Thanks, like I said its a balance of form, function and budget. Nothing super high end, but the right parts for what I want to do with it. I would have liked a fancier stock, but the MOE was priced right. I don't regret it in hindsight, it's the right choice for this rifle.

Also take look at the BCGs being offered from AIM surplus right now. You have to get set up for email notifications and jump on them fast, they're the best deal going in a BCG IMO. I got a nitrided one and am very happy with it. Especially for the wopping $99. Shipped to my door.

Thanks, like I said its a balance of form, function and budget. Nothing super high end, but the right parts for what I want to do with it. I would have liked a fancier stock, but the MOE was priced right. I don't regret it in hindsight, it's the right choice for this rifle.

Also take look at the BCGs being offered from AIM surplus right now. You have to get set up for email notifications and jump on them fast, they're the best deal going in a BCG IMO. I got a nitrided one and am very happy with it. Especially for the wopping $99. Shipped to my door.

thanks for that. Whenever I see the "Out of Stock" over the picture I usually tend to not click on that item.

I look at hpt as being a nice quality control step, but the fact that these aren't doesn't turn me off to them. There are more than a few other makers out the with carriers costing the same or more with the same specs minus the fancy finish. I'll trust AIM to put out a good product, I haven't taken mine out and put rounds through the rifle with it yet but it certainly looks and feels solid. Very nice machining, excellent staking and an all around smooth feel to the moving pieces.

If HPT is a deal breaker, BCM makes a great bolt and carrier. It's a bit pricey at $180 +\- but very well made. Even the finish seems to be if not tougher, than more even than other parkerized BCGs I own. More rounds through it than any if the others and less wear too.

Mag330%20UBR%20Stock%20BLACK-11.jpg?1357

Looks a bit more like what I want to build.

Only possible deviations from this I can imagine as of right now:

20" or 18" barrel *idk yet

Quad Rail instead of that

Trijicon TR20R

FAB Defense Vertical Grip

KAC rear Flip up Sight

And Maybe a paint Job

I will go a head and order my LPK either tonight or tomorrow. 

Constructive criticism is always welcome. 

Thanks for replying. (if you're into that i guess...)

Edited by that_guy

Have you ever held a full quad rail? There is a reason that they have faded from popularity. Slim customizable rails are much more comfortable and you can still add on all the accessories you want.

Yup, I wouldn't go full quad. Even if you do insist on hanging a bunch of stuff off it, a quad just isn't comfortable and just unnecessary.

Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a world of difference in performance with 18"vs 20". One thing to keep in mind is your overall length with muzzle devise. An 18" will end up closer to 20" and a20" closer to 22".

If you want a handier rifle (marginally) go with the 18". I'd look into a light weight options as far as profile. If the weight won't be a factor for whatever reason then go with a 20" and make it a bull barrel.

I know it's been said but my philosophy on the quad-rail is, "why do you need THAT much accessory real-estate for?" With the modern bolt on/key-mod concept, you lighten the system considerably AND it is in fact much more comfortable than a quad-rail.

Yup, I wouldn't go full quad. Even if you do insist on hanging a bunch of stuff off it, a quad just isn't comfortable and just unnecessary.

Have you ever held a full quad rail? There is a reason that they have faded from popularity. Slim customizable rails are much more comfortable and you can still add on all the accessories you want.

OK. Fine. I got a quad rail from a buddy of mine (KAC M5 RAS) for pretty cheap, and have found someone with a Troy VTAC Alpha rail of which wants a supreme "Tactical" weapon system and has agreed for a trade. So there. My handguard will be the Troy VTAC Alpha Rail.

I actually forgot about the Mini-14 my brother gave me last year for my birthday, and it came with a BSA scope with mil-dots. 3-9x40, so I am going to use that as soon as I get I get a good mount for it, and my backup sights will either be KAC rear flip-up and flip-up front sight gas block, or 45 degree offset sights. And my choice of barrel will be a Blackhole Weaponry 18" rifle length.

• Like 1

OK. Fine. I got a quad rail from a buddy of mine (KAC M5 RAS) for pretty cheap, and have found someone with a Troy VTAC Alpha rail of which wants a supreme "Tactical" weapon system and has agreed for a trade. So there. My handguard will be the Troy VTAC Alpha Rail.

I actually forgot about the Mini-14 my brother gave me last year for my birthday, and it came with a BSA scope with mil-dots. 3-9x40, so I am going to use that as soon as I get I get a good mount for it, and my backup sights will either be KAC rear flip-up and flip-up front sight gas block, or 45 degree offset sights. And my choice of barrel will be a Blackhole Weaponry 18" rifle length.

Didn't mean for it to sound like we were bullying you into it man, we just all voiced our opinions which were all consensus in that quad rails are not only a thing of the past but in that we've been in your shoes. Know that none of us would want to push you into something you yourself aren't willing to do, in the end this is YOUR build, we'll just say "told ya so" when there's something you don't like. ;)

Though for the record, that is the rail I'll be using when I get my DI gun done.

I like the KAC sights pretty good in terms of quality but after finally getting my hands on em, just not that big on them. I LOVE the Troy di-opter series paired with the HK style front but again, MY personal preference.

• Like 1

I love me an HK hooded front!  

And yes, not trying to pressure you.  Just giving the opinions that you asked for.  

I used a Burris PEPR on a 22 build and I like it a lot.  Give it a look and see if that will work for you. 

If I managed to make you feel as if you were bullying me into not getting a quad rail, I apologize. But I was probably going to end up with a Troy VTAC anyway sooner or later...

And now ladies and gentlemen. Boys and girls. You get to witness me blow as money as fast as I can and the most I can on AR-15 parts. :)

I'll disagree with the whitewolf and capbyrd.

I AM absolutely trying to pressure you into buying what I think is best. :lol:

But really, if you see us all making the same point over and over, there's a reason. If I keep harping about weight it's because it's hard to get a feel for how these things balance out before you assemble them. I kept saying "what's a few ounces matter if it has better ______." Now I'd be willing to sacrifice some ______, if I could shave a pound or two off that is.

We want you to love your rifle.

Great trade you worked out. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

Oh, and I am also requesting opinions on slings. What kind of sling would be good on this type of setup? I'm thinking maybe running 550 chord through some of the holes in the handguard and running it through where that large hole you get in the back of the UBR stock, or maybe doing it conventional-like and running it through the sling loop. Thanks in advance.

Lots of options in that dept. I personally use the Magpul MS2 on my 870 and the MS3 for my AR build project. Viking Tac. makes a really good sling from what I've seen. If I recall, there was a sling thread that popped up some time ago with lots of good suggestions. As with most things gun related, don't go for the cheap bargain bin brands, not all are terrible but once you get a good sling you'll never look back. Troy also makes one but I haven't had any time with one. Steer clear of three points, nothing wrong with em but two/single points are just way easier to work with and less of a hassle.

Oh, and I am also requesting opinions on slings. What kind of sling would be good on this type of setup? I'm thinking maybe running 550 chord through some of the holes in the handguard and running it through where that large hole you get in the back of the UBR stock, or maybe doing it conventional-like and running it through the sling loop. Thanks in advance.

Found it.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/64033-slings-for-ar/?hl=sling

Well, I found an ak deal, and felt as if I could not pass it up, so now, I'm practically back to square one. Unless, anyone wants a mostly assembled milled ak-74 underfolder or a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle plus ati side folding stock...

Traded the VTAC rail for a triangle sidefolder stock, hand guard pistol grip, and 2 circle 11 polymer mags. And to put something with it, I bought a Romy UF kit, mix 'n matched AMD parts, 5 mags, and a 12.5" Nitride barrel. Also ordered a receiver from Nodak Spud. All for the total of... a little under the planned price of my ar idea :cry:  

I might decide to get back to the AR later, but not right now. Hopefully I'll get that bonus I've been asking for... I still have the lower though. At least I didn't get rid of that...

Edited by that_guy
Derailed by the AKs. Shame.

Hahaha just messing with ya. I have tried my best to like AKs and I own a vz58 but that will probably be the extent of my 7.62x39 collections as AR'S are just too sex and I can change anything out on them!