New AR Build

that_guy

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the firearms world, just got my first handgun and only own 3.5 long guns and an AR lower, and have been advised to purchase/build and AR type rifle. I have decided to build one and cannot decide what kind of build i should go with. I'm stuck between an m16a4 clone, and m16a1 clone, or something totally custom and "tacticool". I don't really want to spend $375 on a rail for the m16a4 clone, but kind of considering it. I'm fairly sure I want a 20" barrel, but cannot really find one with a 1:7 twist, and took me forever to find one with a 1:8 twist for about $150 or $270 for one with polygonal rifling.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by that_guy
What are you going to use it for? Where will it fit in with what you already have? You've got an ak74 and building a '47, correct? If so a longer barreled rifle (20") might be a good fit. If you go that way I'd recommend looking carefully at the weight of each component as with a heavier barrel, optic, and longer handguard, the weight can creep up on you fast.

You can keep the overall weight down, Dolomite has a 20" AR that comes in pretty light, around 6lbs if I recall right. On the other side of the coin I've got one that comes in at about 9-10lbs without bipod, scope, or mount. From reading his part list back when he built it I'd say most of the weight difference comes from the barrel and the handguard.

For me the extra weight isn't too big of a deal. It was built for the bench or other mostly stationary kinds of shooting. It's still light enough that it would work for a grab and go rifle, but it wouldn't be my first pick just based on having lighter options available.

I go with 50 Beowulf?

YES! YES. yes.... Jk. 5.56 will be your best bet. I been looking at building an A4 clone but carbines are much cheaper and a tac rail for 20" can get pricey fast. Have you considered a 18"? 

Have you considered a 18"? 

Yea, as of right now anything is a possibility. I would just like to have an A4 clone, if I can't have that, I'll go with a SPR style thingy, or if that is not feasible, I'll go ahead and do a DDM4 upper and make it "tactical"

Yea, as of right now anything is a possibility. I would just like to have an A4 clone, if I can't have that, I'll go with a SPR style thingy, or if that is not feasible, I'll go ahead and do a DDM4 upper and make it "tactical"

I been longing for a 20" 5.56 ar, and I keep getting 16". Same thing for my beloved G3. I have the funds to walk into northside gun shop and buy it. But something in back of my head keeps saying "dont do it" or "if you buy it you wont love it anymore"  :confused:

Unless you reload your own ammo stick with 5.56/.223Rem.

I went with an 18" SPR /3 gun/varmint rifle type build myself (18" Black Hole Weaponry HBAR contour with other lighter weight components to keep weight manageable) my Dad has an M-4 clone my Brother has a 20" SS Bull barrel setup and we can't convince the others that ours is a better overall setup than the others.

that is the joy and curse of the AR platform lots of options and lots of choices and a build from the ground up can change many times before it is "finished" You really have to figure what you plan to do with it, knowing you can always build another upper or change out a component or 3 if you decide to go another direction with it, think LEGO gun add, subtract, presto changeo  modularity at it's best

.223 works for me and if it becomes a distance thing I have a couple of .30-06 rifles (M-1 Garand,1903A3) that I am very comfortable shooting at longer distances where the .223 just can't perform as well and the math is easier to figure drift and drop

.300 Blackout is great if you want to suppress and I understand and 6.5Grendel vs. 6.8SPCII debate is still going on .50 Beowulf stands alone but they are all a reloaders cartridge pretty much along with 6x223 and other wildcats  as factory offerings are limited and hard to find vs. 5.56/223 Rem 

So start your sickness with an M-4 and watch the BRD (Black Rifle disease) grow in your safe..

M4 will likely be cheapest. They're also handy little carbines, I'm glad I started that way personally as it is easier to decide what to build differently having a reference point. You might even decide that the M4 does everything you want an AR to do.

What is you guys' opinion on the "Dissipator" style AR's. 16" barrel, rifle length sight radius midlength gas system, or sometimes full rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel

I've had 4 different dissipators and love them. Midlength gas systems and magpul rifle rails

Ok, guide me through the parts I will use to purchase. I guess I will start with the LPK. What's the best QUALITY lpk for the price? Right now I'm looking at a Spike's, are they good for the $70 I will have to dish out for it? I will also post pics as i go along. will post a pic of my lower in a few.

For price and availability it is hard to beat PSA (Palmetto State Armory) you can usually find a LPK bundled in with some other goodies for pretty cheap. Make sure you get the PSA brand and not the ptac if you want the better kit.

Also take a look at tools you'll need, better to just get them out of the way so you don't end up with all your parts and no way to put them together. You can buy them separate or together as a kit. I bought all mine separate, if I had to do it again if just grab a reasonably priced kit and be done with it.

You'll need to host your pics somewhere like photobucket before posting here. Once they're uploaded just grab the long labeled img and post it here. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

th_IMG_11931_zps0dfa3fa0.jpg

AHA! I got it! I wish I knew how to make it bigger though :(

Anyway, it is a Spike's Tactical Stripped Zombie Lower. Multi Cal. A guitar pick covering the serial number. Spyderco Meerkat holding the receiver at a good angle so I could get a good picture, and Pandora playing in the background.

Edited by that_guy

th_IMG_11931_zps0dfa3fa0.jpg

AHA! I got it! I wish I knew how to make it bigger though :(
Anyway, it is a Spike's Tactical Stripped Zombie Lower. Multi Cal. A guitar pick covering the serial number. Spyderco Meerkat holding the receiver at a good angle so I could get a good picture, and Pandora playing in the background.

Uh oh, triangular guitar pick + skulls on pandora = :Rock:

You might check this out, pretty good deal.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-mid-length-5-56mm-moe-fde-1-9-upper-with-bcg-charging-handle-and-mbus.html Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 2

ff2af5fd.jpg

Figured I would go with something along this, not exactly like it though.

18" Blackhole weaponry barrel

BCM A2 front sight

ST rifle length melonited gas tube

KAC M5 RAS

Fail Zero BCG

Battle Comp 2.0

VLTOR MUR

PSA LPK no fcg

ST battle trigger

BAD-ASS safety

ST-T2 buffer with Damage Industries Chrome Silicon Spring

Magpul UBR

The Mako Group T-pod G2 PR

KNS Anti-Rotational pins

would still need and optic and front/rear BUIS though. Anyone want to educate me there? And how does my set-up sound? Thanks in Advance.

Edited by that_guy

Overall I like it, I would add a BCM charging handle though. Totally worth the cost and IMO is a huge improvement over the mil spec. I like the large ones.

Other than that I would maybe look into a keymod handguard to save some weight. Plus I'm just not a fan of quad rails. Too bulky and uncomfortable.

As to optics, we're back to the whole matter of what are you using it for.

Here's mine as it sits,

23666818-5D8B-44BC-9716-095FABAEFE5E-134

It has a vortex SPARC and vortex magnifier. The setup works ok, pretty well actually for what I expect which is quick targeting and being able to do so from 10-100 yards. Accuracy isn't fantastic, but it works well enough to put you on target. Just don't expect admirable groups. Probably great for steel shooting.

I'm swapping out the current setup soon for a higher power option. I'm looking at models from Nikon and Bushells that are apparently designed around the rifle/cartridge and are around the $200 mark. I'm going to try to milk some accuracy out of it while still holding to the budget. I've got around 1k into minus the vortex stuff I'm looking to spend no more than $300 on the new scope.