They're out there.

I was on a facebook page today and there was a fella whom was trying to sell a Uberti Cattleman Hombre w/50 rounds(which I know are about a $1 per round pending brand/model) for "$550 or trade on a Glock" I normally wouldn't have a problem but the thing is, the Hombre retails NEW for $459. Even if the gun was still brand new with the shells, it's not worth $15 under new price for BOTH(obviously I'm even factoring in the tax and TICS check). I posted a link to the manufacturer's web page with the retail price and after going back and forth with the fella (to which he was starting to just outright insult and his buddy whom was defending him was also attacking me but whatever I'm not trying to be a victim here cause I said some choice words back, felt like a fourteen year old again...) I finally just blocked the two of em as I had enough of their douchebaggery. I hate the fact that someone out there is going to get conned into buying that but as they say, there's a sucker born every minute. I don't think I was, but do y'all think I was in the wrong for trying to bring some information to the table there or should I have just minded my own business, which I usually do but seeing the same model I've had go for over NEW just felt wrong. I know there are some on here whom feel strongly about gougers and I myself THINK they'd fall under that category but I'll ask for the opinion of the masses, what say you TGO?

Edited by whitewolf001

the problem with gougers is that most people let them get away with it by buying what they have for sale.  if they can not sale it then the price will come down.  the gougers are all dirt bags in my book.  in the same boat as the wal mart ammo guys. 

Guest semiautots

There are a lot of guns here on the "for sale" page that are at, or within a few dollars of retail.  Some buyers will pay for no paper trail.

Not me.

have an 1873 Hombre in .45 LC for trade. I was thinking like you Colt 1911 Gold Cup or maybe an AR-15 not one of the cheap ones either.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/u2_zpsd499d37b.jpg.html]u2_zpsd499d37b.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/u1_zps15d7fdbe.jpg.html]u1_zps15d7fdbe.jpg[/URL]

I might be tempting to throw in a cylinder or two of leaded bullets too. 

Now this was made way back in 1874 when Umberti was in it's infant stage. Waaaah. You can tell from where the finish is all worn off due to it's age. I think it's more from holster wear more so than shooting as the original owner (me) has only put around 100 rounds through it. Then again it coulda been my sitting on my recliner with a scotch bruie pad scrubbing the matt finish of it. Naw. I sent it back to Ubme...errr..Colt back in '36 to have the springs worked on. When I bought it way back when (2011) I think I paid a hefty $350 for it. In fact i found the box lying around in the root cellar. How bout that!?!  What's really amazing can you believe Bass Pro Shop was in business way back then? 

Well, I thought about trading it but see'n as how i don't have a Facebook account I guess I can't so I'll just go on shooting her.

I do like her tho...

Did I mention I like calls that start with .4?

Edited to remind all this is a story and the pistol is NOT up for sale or trade.... :D

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1
so what do you consider a fair price to ask for a gun?? I understand that shooting a gun devalues like driving a car...but what is the fine line?? I myself dont ask what I paid for a gun, but I dont want to screw myself either because someone else wants a glock for the price of a hipoint or jimenez (or whatever the brand is)...
  • Like 1

so what do you consider a fair price to ask for a gun?? I understand that shooting a gun devalues like driving a car...but what is the fine line?? I myself dont ask what I paid for a gun, but I dont want to screw myself either because someone else wants a glock for the price of a hipoint or jimenez (or whatever the brand is)...

I consider an average fair asking price the going average going rate of a firearm via sites such as gunbroker, gun owners club, armslist, etc, where MOST are honest. Which the average of the Hombre is right around $350.

Edited by whitewolf001
[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1129860" timestamp="1395787248"]I consider an average fair asking price the going average going rate of a firearm via sites such as gunbroker, gun owners club, armslist, etc, where MOST are honest. Which the average of the Hombre is right around $350.[/quote] I would also think it would depend on the condition of the firearm as well that would dictate the price...I dont disagree, but I think sometimes some people are quick to complain because someone doesnt sell a gun for what they are willing to pay.... that is why I have learned to think about what I am buying so I dont lose on my end trying to offload something I shouldnt have bought to begin with..
  • Like 1

I would also think it would depend on the condition of the firearm as well that would dictate the price...I dont disagree, but I think sometimes some people are quick to complain because someone doesnt sell a gun for what they are willing to pay.... that is why I have learned to think about what I am buying so I dont lose on my end trying to offload something I shouldnt have bought to begin with..

I too am parallel to your thinking.

I see this a lot as well.  What gets me is when they post something to the effect of "If you don't like my price then don't comment" especially when it is something stupid.  I'm glad we have so many Facebookphobes on TGO, makes it easier to get the good deals.

The real problem is akin to the wally world guys going in every morning to buy up all the .22LR so that they can sell it on arms list for 2-3X the price.

But that's not the real answer.... IMHO the real reason is the requirement for instant gratification by buyers.

If someone is willing to pay the crazy prices out there then more power to them. They're happy. They have no retirement or anything but that's not instant

gratification. They beat out everyone else by paying whatever was asked. 

The good news is there are enough guns out there the one you want will come along when you least expect it for a fair price. 

Define fair price? 

Definition: I just bought my Colt 1911 9MM brand new for $600 but I see them on arms list and other places for $1000. Boyo, I'm gonna go sell it for 

that money.  It does't matter that I won't own it anymore and the only place in town that had one does't have another one.

Anyone ever look at asking prices on products on ebay then went and looked at sold prices? They ain't the same!

If people are willing to pay your 2X the cost price then that's a fair price if folks are stupid enough to buy it.

'nuff said....

The real problem is akin to the wally world guys going in every morning to buy up all the .22LR so that they can sell it on arms list for 2-3X the price.

But that's not the real answer.... IMHO the real reason is the requirement for instant gratification by buyers.

If someone is willing to pay the crazy prices out there then more power to them. They're happy. They have no retirement or anything but that's not instant

gratification. They beat out everyone else by paying whatever was asked. 

The good news is there are enough guns out there the one you want will come along when you least expect it for a fair price. 

Define fair price? 

Definition: I just bought my Colt 1911 9MM brand new for $600 but I see them on arms list and other places for $1000. Boyo, I'm gonna go sell it for 

that money.  It does't matter that I won't own it anymore and the only place in town that had one does't have another one.

Anyone ever look at asking prices on products on ebay then went and looked at sold prices? They ain't the same!

If people are willing to pay your 2X the cost price then that's a fair price if folks are stupid enough to buy it.

'nuff said....

The last time I saw guns being sold consistently for 2-3x the value was in the months immediately following Sandy Hook.  I would agree that paying more than that is plain stupid.  Asking $75-100 less than new price for a gun isn't unrealistic depending on the rounds the gun has seen and the condition.  I have had people complain to me for selling a gun for more money than they could buy it from Bud's when I was selling it with extra mags and holster, etc.  I didn't get the mags and extras for free and I'm not going to just absorb that loss when I'm already selling the piece for less than what I have in it. 

Now, my opinion (for what it's worth, which ain't much) is that if you want to eat steak but pay for bologna, then save your money for a new gun, or wait for the deal you want.  But as I stated earlier, after taking losses on guns and having to hear my wife complain for me "wasting" money, I am much more selective on what I spend my money on at this point...I would rather hoard ammo for what I know I like shooting than wasting it buying guns that will sit in the safe and collect dust....

Guest TresOsos

I look at it a little different, they can ask what they want and you can buy it or not.

I wouldn't want anyone pissing in my for sale ad and I won't piss in someone elses.

I've seen a few items for sale on here that I thought were priced stupid, but I wouldn't

comment on those either. Someone will buy them or they will adjust the price.

And most of the time they adjust the price.

We have swap meets at our club. Interesting to note that.

Those buying think the firearms being sold are worth half of what they're selling them for.

Those selling think the firearms being sold are worth twice as much as they paid for them.

Go figure..... 

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

I've slowed down on buying guns because people seem to think their used stuff is worth more than what I can buy it for new from the store.  Every once and a while I see something I like at a dumb price, so I'll ask a reasonable price since it's used.  People get insulted about it.  I don't get it.  I guess there are just that many people who are too dumb to price things out, so they're buying people's used crap for far more than what it's worth.

I made a lot of offers on guns people were selling at the end of the great panic; people trying to squeeze what they could out of the crisis.  I made fair offers on used ARs and AKs that were priced twice what they were worth.  I was told a lot of things in those replys.  Some of them quite vulgar, but most instructed me to look on the research on the internet how much their crap was "worth".  I like to go back and look at those emails some times.  I get a kick out of the fact there were people paying $2,000 for a rifle I can get now for $6-700.

It used to be you could get some good deals from folks selling their used firearms; that's how I came by most of what I have.  Now it seems like everyone lost their mind for no good reason.

Guest Lowbuster
People love to think their things are special. It's human nature. People also take the word of others as gold instead of researching themselves. If people don't know a rifle is worth 1k and pays 2k for it, they should have researched. I'm not saying the seller is right by gouging someone, but the seller has to look at himself in the mirror. I just put a mental note not to do business with him. Yesterday I did step in when a little old man was buying some plumbing for his kitchen sink. A big blue box store employee was selling him about $30-$40 worth of items when he only needed $10. He asked me for my number and called me about 2 hours later to come fix it. If we help others then sometimes it pays to step in and say they are being taken as they do not know how to research.
Guest semiautots

When I was avidly buying guns, I had a dealer that would transfer for $25.  I would call CDNN or whomever and order the gun wholesale with the dealer's FFL, they would ship it to him and I would pay him $25 over the wholesale price.

He was happy because he didn't have to stock the gun and I was happy because I got the gun near wholesale and didn't have to pay sales tax on it.

I'm special...I don't think I'm half as good as I really am.  :D

All kidding aside I went into a pawn shop the other day and saw some used thing for sale that I had just 

seen at a store. It was marked up like 50% more than it sold in the store. 

I asked him abut it and he merely said if they don't want to check prices on things and pay what he's charging 

then it's their problem, as in buyer beware,

What a way to do business.

Unfortunately, no matter how much you try, you'll never convince an idiot or an a**hole to be anything else. That's one of the reasons I don't have a facebook account. I felt the need to correct stupid people....and there was plenty of stupid to be had. Well, that and I got sick of seeing people's meals, selfies, random song lyrics, duck faces, uplifting messages, mafia wars invites, flame wars, cat memes............ ok, I pretty much hated everything. :)
  • Like 1