Political Correctness Run Amok (Today's Edition)

Garufa

Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe the ladyfish, "skipjack" is one colloquial name for them. I've caught them in the Keys, and no, nobody eats them. Dunno if they are in Pontchartrain or not but apparently can do brackish water too. (edit: looks like they are indeed in Pontchartrain).

I never caught one but about half the size of this one. They do acrobatics like small tarpon when hooked, similar to our own skipjack. (edit: looks like there are actually tarpon in Pontchartrain sometimes too).

Rhad%20Hayden%20Boat%20Record%20ladyfish

But there is also a "skipjack shad" or "skipjack herring" down there in Pontchartrain too, get to about 20" apparently, and may even be same thing as our TN skipjack "river herring" so dunno.

Mullet are strange. Delicious, yet used more for cut bait and chum. People do catch them on hook and line, but very specialized technique necessary.

- OS

Thanks OS

The fishermen would net mullet for bait. Big schools of mullet would swim right by shore. I guessed at the time maybe they were vegetarians. Sometimes they would be so thick I'd cast into the schools hoping to snag one by accident, on a fin or gill, but it never happened. Fishermen would net them for bait. Sometimes gut a mullet and sew a big hook down inside its abdominal cavity for big fish bait, boat trawling.

When I'd see skipjack and mullet jumping in the water during a feeding frenzy, they looked bigger than 20", but it was a very long time ago. Dunno nothin about it. Maybe they were small tarpon. Though there are plenty of online references to skipjacks synonymous with freshwater herring or shad, according to references of fish native to the pontchartrain region. Maybe I remembered the name wrong.

Am purt sure the New Orleans geezers fishing alongside me called em skipjacks in the 1960's, but went looking around and found variations on a "jack" fish name that MAY be the critters I recall. Cajuns most likely had unusual names for lots of thangs. Supposedly a fairly large family of fishes including Crevalle Jack, that can supposedly found in the gulf. Found some old google books results-- old fish books from the 1800's describing the Crevalle various species, and various "jack" names associated in various geographical locations. It is described as a powerful predator fish.

Here are a couple of videos of what they might have been, looks reasonable. Found another video of "jacks" chopping up the water in a feeding frenzy, but I think that video was florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhqAUADtJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlPEy9epB0I

• Admin Team
Ladyfish are plenty good to eat - just a lot of bones. But, if you're willing to eat mullet,you won't be disappointed by ladyfish.

We pretty regularly catch them that big up in NW Florida. Get one on ultralight tackle and you've got a real fight on your hands. There's probably nothing that hits harder for its size than maybe a bonefish. An ultralight rod and a Rapala in silver blue is a recipe for a great afternoon.

They're probably my favorite fish to catch from the beach.

Here are a couple of videos of what they might have been, looks reasonable. Found another video of "jacks" chopping up the water in a feeding frenzy, but I think that video was florida.

Yeah those are Jack Crevalle. They do roil the surface after bait fish, but aren't acrobatic when hooked. Very strong like most salt water fish though, imagine a 20 lb or more bluegill with more stamina.

edit: apologies for continuing the thread drift, but hey, it's fishing!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot