What is "Keymod"

Until a few days ago, I'd never heard of it and then I get a couple promo emails and it seems to be everywhere.

Apparently, it's a new way to attach accessories to AR free float (or other, probably) tubes.  What accessories?  How does it work?

Is this the latest tacticool fad or a new standard?

Here are a few different manufacturers I've found.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KMR13-Free-Float-Handguard-p/bcm-kmr13.htm?utm_source=Copy+of+KMR+Launch&utm_campaign=RMR-Proctor-Multitasker-Newsletter&utm_medium=email

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2852731674/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-specials-_-specials_prospects_20140318_1-_-AdBlock09

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2922114288/noveske-nsr-keymod-customizable-free-float-handguard-ar-15-aluminum-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2344327754/midwest-industries-k-series-free-float-keymod-handguard-ar-15-aluminum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Edited by Clod Stomper

I wouldn't call it a fad or a new standard.  They are popular, but they are popular for a good reason.  Key mod tubes allow the end user to mount things only where it is necessary without having the additional bulk and sharp edges of wasted rail space.  I wanna say VLTOR came up with the original design, but they made it as an open source design in hopes that more firearms and accessories manufacturers would adopt it and it would eventually become the new standard.  My AR pistol has a key mod fore end and i love it, but then again i'm not a fan of adding everything you possibly can to a rifle.  http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/74327-300-blk-pistol-build/

They are still a little on the pricey side, but that should come down as more and more manufacturers move that way.  I'm not a machinist, but they appear to be easier to machine than a quad rail fore end.  

Troy was one of the pioneers in rail-less systems with their TRX series, though not a keymod, it proved that attaching rails at your own discretion was ingenious due to the weight savings gained.

Were they before Magpul MOE?

I understand there's no free float Magpul stuff, but weren't they the first mainstream maker of "add rails as you want" handguards?

- OS

Were they before Magpul MOE?

I understand there's no free float Magpul stuff, but weren't they the first mainstream maker of "add rails as you want" handguards?

- OS

I suppose you'd be correct in that statement though as I recall when MOE first came out, they didn't have the attachable rails but it was designed with this originally in mind or am I wrong? I can't really remember, been a minute or two...

I put a GG&G modular forearm on my rifle about 10 years ago.  You just bolt on rail sections wherever you need them.

Keymod is literally an groundbreaking advancement in the shape of... holes.   :rofl:

Well, the keymod allows you to easily add/remove them without removing the handguard, unlike say the Magpul MOE. Could you do that with your old forearm?

- OS

• Moderators

I use a Midwest Industries 15" Gen II SS rail and I can bolt on sections as needed and where they are needed without removing the rail. As you can see from the picture, I don't bolt on much. hahegaha.jpg

Edited by Chucktshoes