Super tight Galco holster needs s t r e t c h i n g - But how?

I bought a high end Galco molded leather holster designed to fit a P226 with rail. The mold profile looks perfect, but the darn thing is tighter than Dick's hatband. Yes, I read instructions and have been sheathing unloaded gun in multiple trash bags and pushing deep into holster and drawing as often as I can over the last month. The rig sleeps with the trash bags, yet the holster remains tight as heck and drawing the pistol requires two hands on the grip and a cord through the belt loops that I have to step on to remove gun. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but the holster is sticky and very tight and it's not improving with repeated stretching attempts. Any ideas as to what to do next? Saddle soap? Bear grease? My wife says she stretches leather shoes by wetting with rubbing alcohol. I'm open to proven methods that won't injure the gun.

I have several of their Concealable models. Yep, they're tight. With mine, even once they're broken in, they tighten up again when you put them on a belt. Get some Draw-Ez. It helps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TOLNCK/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=31753861376&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5410655596069252164&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7iee7mx5oz_b

I have several of their Concealable models. Yep, they're tight. With mine, even once they're broken in, they tighten up again when you put them on a belt. Get some Draw-Ez. It helps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TOLNCK/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=31753861376&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5410655596069252164&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7iee7mx5oz_b

I appreciate the suggestion, and this is the kind of suggestion I was hoping for, but Wow! Did you see the pricing on the Amazon link? I could save $280.31 on 1/2 ounce - Who wouldn't jump on that? It had better smell like French perfume. This is a good starting point, but maybe Draw-Ez is a little over the top. I'll dig around online and see what's competing with Draw-Ez.

I appreciate the suggestion, and this is the kind of suggestion I was hoping for, but Wow! Did you see the pricing on the Amazon link? I could save $280.31 on 1/2 ounce - Who wouldn't jump on that? It had better smell like French perfume. This is a good starting point, but maybe Draw-Ez is a little over the top. I'll dig around online and see what's competing with Draw-Ez.

I don't know what that's all about. I have a bottle of it. I remember it was pricey, maybe 20ish. I would just rather do that than risk wrecking a good holster. That 1/2 oz bottle will probably last for life.

Mike

I found a similar product by Mitch Rosen - Leather Lightning. It's priced in the same ballpark, about $15, so I'll use your suggestion. After reading a review of the product, the writer emphasized do not do anything that will soften the holster (ie alcohol). The review noted that without a thumb release, an open top holster needs to remain stiff. Draw-Ez is something to help out until the holster finally wears in - and it was explained, this can take a long time if the gun is not carried often. That will be the case with the 226.

Edited by Vistar

I have a nice Alessi holster that will not break in, period. I've inserted it in the holster with the supplied plastic bag, with two baggies and plastic wrap and let it sit for weeks and weeks. The draw is tight but acceptable when the holster is not worn. Wearing it with the slight bow and it almost requires two hands to pull it out. Over time I've used the whole 1/2 ounce of EZ draw and made little if any difference.

I came to the conclusion it was made to tight and I give up. It's the only holster of dozens I've never had success stretching.

Guys... The "dirty secret" on all these leather "stretching compounds"; including shoe stretch that the ladies use is that they are all a mixture of water and a little bit of alcohol (...the alcohol makes the leather dry a bit faster than just water...).... I carry pocket knife sheaths all the time and i use plain warm water to moisten (...turn the leather plumb dark...) them with lukewarm water and let them sit and dry with the knife where i want it... I mold the sheath exactly how i want it with my fingers while the leather is pliable...What happens is that the leather absorbs the water and (...softens...) loosens up; the pistola (...or knife...) outlines the sheath or holster the way ya want it; and ya get the fit ya want... Let it sit overnite and then it will air dry and take the set ya want...

If i had a "tight holster"; i would wrap my revolver or pistola in a ziplock bag, wet the holster down with a microfiber cloth wet down with lukewarm water, press the pistola or revolver into the holster, and let it dry over nite; just like the old timers did to get boots to fit (...jump in the creek, wet the leather, wear the boots until dry, then wax 'em down...)... The leather will stretch and take the set ya want... I always use Snoseal (...or a beeswax based sealer...Snoseal is bees wax based...) on the holster (...or sheath...) after it dries... This always works for me... Havin said all that; the holster guys aint gonna tell ya that; they sell more "magic holster stretch" the other way...

Hope this helps a bit...

leroy

Edited by leroy

Thanks for telling that, Leroy.

My dear old daddy did pretty much the same thing with his homemade holsters when he shot competition in the 60's. Always had some of the best fitting rigs around. His buds were always asking him to make theirs.

Man, that's been a long time ago.

• Like 1

Did the water thing last night with two layers of trash bag. I do have a can of SnoSeal (great stuff for boots you're really going to wear outdoors). I'll let you know how it works tomorrow. Going to give it time to really dry and take its form.

• Like 1

I soak my holsters/sheaths in water or coffee (the coffee darkens them, if you want.) I wrap the gun or knife in a plastic bag and spend a couple hours while watching a movie smoothing it all out with either my fingers or a sharpie marker. Gives a really nice custom boned fit.

It has never failed for me.

I suppose there is a bit of hesitation to drop a $75+ holster into a pot of warm water, but it gets easier after the first time.

• Like 1

Have had this problem with new Galco before,Galco will tell You to spray it wet with silicone spray and put holster in it for two days.

Called back and talked to a customer service supervisor and they said once in a while one gets out tight and there is nothing you

can do to make it fit. They had me mail it back covered postage and sent a new one.

That may be the final outcome. Galco's holster instructions certainly encourage trying to make it work - plastic bag sheaths, twist the gun in holster - be patient, keep working on it. I think we're about at the end of it. It shouldn't be harder than breaking in a new baseball mitt - and this has been far more challenging. If it isn't fixed tomorrow, I'll call them.

04/05/2014 Update: Water bath worked. Used warm water as instructed and pressed pistol, covered in plastic trash bags, into moist holster and left 48 hours. Seems to fit and release perfectly now. Leather is still a little moist so will open carry on this bright sunny day while working on boat. That should set the leather and complete this project. (And likely raise eyebrows among fellow slip renters.)  

Edited by Vistar