TN OC bill passed Senate

I feel compelled to add my two cents here. Some here may recall from previous discussions on the topic know I'm not particularly a fan of open carry, but for some to suggest that allowing people to do so without a carry permit will end up with people shooting people's poodles and have negligent discharges all over the place is simply absurd. These people likely own firearms anyhow, likely carry them illegally anyhow, and somehow - magically I suppose - these untrained people somehow manage to contain their small dog hatred and novice trigger fingers. If people want to OC, then that's their prerogative, even if I think it's a bad decision for most situations. But I'm a bit shocked at how quickly gun owners will turn to the very same arguments that anti-Second Amendment folks do.
  • Like 8

... But I'm a bit shocked at how quickly gun owners will turn to the very same arguments that anti-Second Amendment folks do...

This is the part that worries me most.... Same category as the duck or deer hunter who has no use for AK's, AR's and thus cares less if they get banned as it does not affect them... YET !!!

• Like 2
I guess he didnt want to have to eat his words and sign a bill for OC if the legislature passed one...so lets undermine the process in the legislature to ensure it doesnt go to the floor for a vote....priceless...
Guest tangojuliet

if a politician wants to be voted out of office he must mess with the following things a voters money ,guns and religion haslam has done all three 

Edited by tangojuliet

This kind of garbage is infuriating.  They absolutely MUST have $100k to unnecessarily change the HCP for open carry passage....they're just trying to be accurate after all.  This from the same folks, who, when (State) Parks carry passed they made sure that none of the 'No Firearms Allowed' signs need be removed from State Park entrances.  With state legislative and administration friends like these, who needs enemies?

You know, I really prefer politicians to just be what they really are - openly. 

Nothing loses my vote faster than hidden shenanigans, regardless of the party

The Republican trifecta is secure for a while, they know Tennessee isn't going Democratic for at least another few elections.  Pissing off voters isn't a concern because it's not like there is any serious Democratic opposition to capitalize on the letdown in Republican voter enthusiasm would bring. This is how legislation dies with a wink and a nod when one party has complete control.

[quote name="btq96r" post="1138573" timestamp="1397512770"]The Republican trifecta is secure for a while, they know Tennessee isn't going Democratic for at least another few elections. Pissing off voters isn't a concern because it's not like there is any serious Democratic opposition to capitalize on the letdown in Republican voter enthusiasm would bring. This is how legislation dies with a wink and a nod when one party has complete control.[/quote] all the more reason to try to get these guys out at a grassroots level if possible....I wonder how many of these politicians run unopposed?

Here is Micah Van Huss's letter regarding the bill. Seems rule 53 will necessarily have to voted on? If so, I hope a recorded vote is demanded, most especially if it is defeated.

VanHuss1.jpg

Edited by Oh Shoot

HB2409 failed in a night-ending FWM Subcomte vote by a 10-1 margin (GA website hasn't yet posted the vote yet, but it was a roll call vote - so names should be available).  Harrison, McCormick, and Gibbons (Tn Homeland Security) played the Governors line right to the letter...and it was obvious that all the Establishment Rs were falling right into line, just like they'd been told to.

HB2409 failed in a night-ending FWM Subcomte vote by a 10-1 margin (GA website hasn't yet posted the vote yet, but it was a roll call vote - so names should be available).  Harrison, McCormick, and Gibbons (Tn Homeland Security) played the Governors line right to the letter...and it was obvious that all the Establishment Rs were falling right into line, just like they'd been told to.

According to the letter I posted, and various other commentaries on it, the full House must vote on Rule 53 motion, to bring it to floor regardless of committee as amended with no fiscal note attached? THAT is the recorded vote I meant.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Doubtful it will get that far.  FWM sub acknowledged it had no meaningful fiscal note as amended...but the Emperor's minions have done a good job of lining up all the obedient little indians to go along with the "Homeland Security" concerns.  If it failed 10-1 in a roll cal vote in the sub, do you really think it can muster a 2/3 majority on the floor?  There aren't that many gonads in the building...  Sponsor has already admitted on FB that it is dead, and Rule 53 vote wont happen.  He intends to bring it back next year.

• Like 1

Doubtful it will get that far.  FWM sub acknowledged it had no meaningful fiscal note as amended...but the Emperor's minions have done a good job of lining up all the obedient little indians to go along with the "Homeland Security" concerns.  If it failed 10-1 in a roll cal vote in the sub, do you really think it can muster a 2/3 majority on the floor?  There aren't that many gonads in the building...  Sponsor has already admitted on FB that it is dead, and Rule 53 vote wont happen.  He intends to bring it back next year.

Thanks. I didn't know they could kill the Rule 53 short of full floor vote, how dey do dat?

- OS

You know, I really prefer politicians to just be what they really are - openly. 

Nothing loses my vote faster than hidden shenanigans, regardless of the party

Well, I guess they showed me, huh?