getting started in reloading

I think I'm going to finally take the plunge into reloading. I've been looking at two starter kits. The Hornady L-N-L and Lee kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360910571916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 http://www.ebay.com/itm/171288242391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.

Any reason why one is better than the other? And what other must haves do I need? I know I'll want a good manual or 3, dial calipers, and tumbler.

I've been reading all I can the last couple of days online. I've got a lot to learn so I'll take any advice and info you wanna pass along.
Really either one is a great value, the ROck Chucker kit is what most people buy though. I am not so sure that I wouldn't just buy the Lee Challenger kit and upgrade the powder dispenser and scale if you decided the Lee's wasn't what you wanted. I am inclined to believe that you will be perfectly happy with the Lee press itself, it's what I have and have never desired a different one.

+1 On the Rockchucker Kit. It's a tool that you will use for the rest of your life. Even after you have gone to the dark side with the progressive presses you will be going back to your Rockchucker for  stuff you need more leverage and less production for. I don't like Lee. A lot of soft aluminum in them.

• Like 1
You will hear a few people say that Lee is crap or that Lee is cheap. One of my friends that got me into reloading recommended the Lee kit, it has a little easier access than others. In fact he has brought a die over to beat and bang a stuck case out using my Lee press. That Lee press has a lifetime warranty and should last a million rounds. The Hornady scale is only about $35, the powder drop is about $100. The Lee scale seems cheap but mine is within less than 1/10 of a grain of two other scales. The Lee gives you the option to prime on the press which I really like doing, this may be a personal preference though. The Hornady manual is ok, so is the hand primer. The Hornady power trickled is just a luxury that will come in handy very seldom for most people. That Hornady One Shot case lube is great but only about $6.

That Lee press has a lifetime warranty and should last a million rounds. 

Not really a lifetime warranty...it is a 2 year warranty for full coverage. After 2 years, they will repair the item but charge a fee of half of what the current retail value is.  http://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html  

OP, nothing really wrong with Lee if you want to go the inexpensive route and possibly upgrade later. When I bought my own equipment, I wanted quality and full coverage forever, so I went with RCBS. Hornady stands behind their products with a lifetime warranty as well so between the two you have listed the Hornady wins out to me. But if you don't mind potentially paying to have parts fixed later on because they are made out of softer materials then the Lee would be fine.

I'll say it again,.. a good notebook and lots of meticulous notes every time you sit down to the bench....and always double check settings DO NOT rely on memory there's alot of difference between a charge of 4.7gr Bullseye and 7.4gr Bullseye for example and some of the number powders look similar but are vastly different in "personality"

I think and close enough  are words that should never be used while at said bench it is pretty black and white either perfectly right or perfectly wrong

any of those press kits are a good starting point   I have in my "toolbox" a Lyman and RCBS single stage and a Dillon 450 with powder upgrade kit  and they all make top shelf ammo though I lean to RCBS or Dillon for my dies I do use LEE for my .223/5.56  my 10mm set uses dies form 3 different mfgs.

a good solid bench to mount the press to with good lighting and a separate shelf for the scale and if it is digital no fluorescent lighting as it will cause variances I use 2 beam scales and check weights to verify often

case lube for rifles is pretty much mandatory and optional for pistol cases you can make your own for pennies using alcohol and lanolin and a dollar store spray bottle

Adopt the 1 powder 1 bullet on the bench policy keep all other components separated from the table you really don't want to mix powders the results are unpredictable and usually not good.

When I started out my Dad had the 15 year old me write out a Loading Plan  basically a sheet of paper with powder and charge weight, bullet and primers along with any press settings (OAL,Crimp) he would check it and we would double check charge weight against the established loading manual and that sheet hung near the press until after loading then it was put into a loose leaf binder and went to the range with us so I could fill out any range notes.

This practice has kept me from KABOOMING for close to 30 years now.  I have loaded bad ammo we all do at some point  a crimp setting off,short or long OAL etc. which brings me to the next piece of equipment  a Bullet Puller  you will use it eventually so go buy one when you get your press I think every press should come with one.....

Always keep in mind what you are doing has certain risks, like anything else in life if done right can be enjoyed for years  done wrong you end up in the ER or worse.

I wish you good times and enjoyment in your new hobby,

John

• Like 2

Great advice John. I do pretty much the same things.

Nothing wrong with Lee stuff. I use the dies, and hand press for primers. Use check weights for the beam scale,

and keep it covered when not in use ( dust, lint,etc ). Made a cover form aluminum foil.

Focus on what you're doing, easy to screw up if not.

Enjoy.........

What cal's do you plan on loading?

My suggestion buy once and pass it on to your kids.

I have a Dillon 550B, a Herters (real old) and a rock chucker which I seldom use much anymore. It is relegated to pulling bullets and punching primers.

The old herters is for reloading 45-70's since I never resize them.  The Dillon pretty much has all the duties for both pistol and rifle reloading. 

My reloading buddy has a Hornady which works fine. The Dillon and Hornady have a 100% replacement part warranty that is unlimited.

I've never been fond of the Lee Loaders because most of them are cast and aluminum. I just saw a complete Lee Progressive press at our club swap

meet today for $70. It's probably go for $50. It even had a bullet feeder. Someone will buy it.

Parts break all the time on progressive presses. I even broke a handle off my old dillon square deal b. I called them and had a new one in 4 days, free of charge.

Lp

Thanks guys, lots of good info. I couldn't wait any longer, I ordered the Lee kit along with some extra bushings, Hornady digital calipers, and a Lyman #49 manual. All for about $180, so if I decide reloading ain't for me I'm not out a lot of money.

I'm mainly plan on loading 6.8spcII, 44mag,and 308win. May in the future load for my 30-06, 9mm's,223's,and 45acp.
Not a bad price for an entry level kit. Add your dies and a tumbler to clean the brass and will be set. Having a couple of manuals is better than one but a lot of info is available online from Hodgdon and some bullet manufacturers. Edited by jonathon1289
I actually didn't think of a tumbler, I bought a dry tumbler which does a great job but I normally just take my brass and shake them a few times in a homemade liquid cleaner. Then I let it sit for a couple of hours and then rinse.

Read Read Read,

Then buy a Dillon progressive and skip the single step process.

There isn't much to it if you understand the basic, its not rocket science. once you study and understand a progressive is the way to go.

I started with a Dillon Square deal and never had an issue, my brother started with a Rock Chucker and with in a month went with a Dillon.

This is best with pistol rounds. If your looking for match grade rifle then thats another story.

Just my 2 cents

FlyBoy

Thanks guys, lots of good info. I couldn't wait any longer, I ordered the Lee kit along with some extra bushings, Hornady digital calipers, and a Lyman #49 manual. All for about $180, so if I decide reloading ain't for me I'm not out a lot of money.

I'm mainly plan on loading 6.8spcII, 44mag,and 308win. May in the future load for my 30-06, 9mm's,223's,and 45acp.

Start with loading a pistol caliper. Bottleneck cases have a few more bumps to get over. Like trimming and making sure no berdan cases get in the batch.

Don't know if you already bought a tumbler yet but Harbor Freight has both of their vibrator tumblers on sale.

before you start and/or buy anything see if you can find someone that will show you the ropes of reloading.  that way you will know if it is for you and what to buy and not to buy.  i started reloading and casting in 1970 and over the years have helped many to get started and have talked many out of starting.  so, find someone that will spend a afternoon with you showing how to do it and what works and don't work before you spend time and money.