90 yr old S&W Fails to Function

Sad news today. 90+/- yr old S&W .32 Long DA revolver fails to release cylinder.

Wonder if these came with Lifetime warranty?  Orrrrr, can I send it back to Smith for a new .460?

Anyway, looks like I need a Gunsmith............................................................or someone with working knowledge of the internals of this old relic.

The lock-up in front is a bit different than modern design.

Any recommendations in the Dickson/Franklin/Columbia area for a gunsmith?

My old S&W would't release the cylinder because a previous owner had overloaded a round and bulged the forcing cone.

Once that happened it put pressure against the cylinder when you tried to open it. If I hold the open button forward with one hand 

and rap the cylinder to push it out with the palm of the other hand it will open. The cylinder rotates freely when it's in battery.

My only fix is to saw  off the forcing cone and find someone with a jig to remove the barrel without twisting the pistols frame.

You might not have the same problem but it;s worth a look to see if that might be the problem. 

Edited by Lowpower
Only issue I've seen with a Smith not opening was when the screwed in section at the end of the crane arm backed out and was closed. It closed fine but got caught up in the shroud. Hold int the release forward and applying some pressure got it opened again, then we tightened it up and all was well again.

No idea if any of the above applies with your revolver or not.
  • Like 3
Not a gunsmith, but thinking that soaking won't cure "internal corrosion" if there is any; that only disassembly and cleaning/replacing of parts can fix corrosion. Considering your problem and the age of the gun, a thorough cleaning might be in order.

I wouldn't soak a revolver in anything. Edited by enfield
  • Like 1
Bon Aqua is a little ways away, but if Jeff at Guns&Leather moved out there, and I was in your position here in Nashville, I'd make the drive over soaking any day.

If you had found this in the bottom of grandpaws tackle box and it was legitimately rusted shut, I'd say a good soaking would be in order to help clear out some corrosion. It sounds from the time of your OP that this is maybe something that was working until recently. If that's the case, have you checked inside to see if there *is* any corrosion to remove?

I'd take it in. There is a very good chance at this point that soaking it in oil will just result in a gun, well soaked with oil. I can tell you one thing, if the gun had been working up until recently, soaking it isn't likely to help. If it doesn't, it's only going to be harder to diagnose quickly with it dripping oil inside. YMMV and its possible that it just needs a "deep oiling", but I doubt it.

Well, had a chance to "play" with the old iron. Seems to be back to functioning as before. Not the slickest tool in the arsenal, but functional. Did absolutely nothing to it but work mechanism numerous times. Diss-assembly of this particular piece is NOT gonna happen by me. To old(both of us), to frail(the gun) and to complicated(take your choice). There's a pin that would have to be driven out on the front end.

I don't really do any machining on delicate parts anymore.  Thanks for all the responses.

And PM sent.