Why Are Some S&W Revolvers So Hard To Find?

mhl6493

Yeah, thanks to you guys, I'm finding a whole lot more of them than I realized were out there.  Problem now is that my savings account had taken a beating.  So many Smith's, so little money...

Look at it like this, its wise to have a diverse savings portfolio. Cash and stocks are fluid, gold and silver are just fairly useless metals and art is too fickle.

Keep buying the quality gun you have been and take care of them, they'll hold their value fairly securely.
  • Like 2

My last find. I really didn't need or want another 686 but I couldn't pass on it either. No dash, 6 inch and the original year of issue. Bought it right, so It is money in the bank and when I do sell it, it will have generated a better profit than the Dow for the last 10 years.

[URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/dadams111/media/Handguns/image_zps9a82163c.jpg.html]image_zps9a82163c.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

My last find. I really didn't need or want another 686 but I couldn't pass on it either. No dash, 6 inch and the original year of issue. Bought it right, so It is money in the bank and when I do sell it, it will have generated a better profit than the Dow for the last 10 years.

image_zps9a82163c.jpg

Very nice!  "Need" certainly doesn't come into play when it comes to another 686.  :D  I have a Ruger GP100 and a S&W 640, but no 686 yet.  A 686 plus, however, is on my wish list to acquire one of these days.  I've been trying to convince my wife that my gun purchases -- revolvers in particular -- are a wise investment strategy.  She's not buying it...

I have no need for it but it took all I had to walk away from a S&W 686 3" today at GT's for less than $500.

3 inch in a S&W is typically in much, much greater demand than the 2.5 or 4 inches plus.

I hope that wasn't a no lock version and hope even more that it wasn't a 686 CS-1 in 3 inch. :stunned:

Where is GTs?

I've been trying to convince my wife that my gun purchases -- revolvers in particular -- are a wise investment strategy.  She's not buying it...

Money in the bank. Just have to know what your looking at and buy/sell to someone willing to pay for it more than you did. Over time that's straightforward for certain models and configurations.

Forget about anything with a lock for investment/resale. They are ok for shooters though.

Get yourself a Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson Book by Supica/Nahas. Start prowling the LG and Pawn shops.

• Like 1

3 inch in a S&W is typically in much, much greater demand than the 2.5 or 4 inches plus.
I hope that wasn't a no lock version and hope even more that it wasn't a 686 CS-1 in 3 inch. :stunned:

Where is GTs?

No lock and somewhat rough condition. It could have been a 2" but I really think it was a 3". Honestly they brought a whole container of S&W jewels back from Puerto Rico. Mostly all are 38 or 357 w/ 2-4" barrels.
etuhubes.jpg Well here is mine. Nothing like y'all's gems but it was my husbands grandmothers and it means the world to this ole gal. Around 1960's to 70's. I've got the exact specks somewhere. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The 940 will show up occasionally around here, though I've yet to get and keep one. I did have one for a month or so, but got talked out of it by the orginal owner.

I favor the 547 9mm myself. Got a call from my brother-in-law one day when he was working at a lgs. He knew I liked Smith's and 9mm, so when one came in the shop, he called. I went immediately and its been with me for about 10 years, and I have no plans on letting it go.

• Like 1
[quote name="hipower" post="1161678" timestamp="1403493781"]The 940 will show up occasionally around here, though I've yet to get and keep one. I did have one for a month or so, but got talked out of it by the orginal owner. I favor the 547 9mm myself. Got a call from my brother-in-law one day when he was working at a lgs. He knew I liked Smith's and 9mm, so when one came in the shop, he called. I went immediately and its been with me for about 10 years, and I have no plans on letting it go.[/quote] I honestly didn't know there was another 9 mm SW out there. I waited too long to grab one I saw on the SW forum. But I have not been searching lately either. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without looking it up, if my memory is close to right, It was produced in the early 90's and thru the decade. Seem like around 10,000 were manufactured. It's an interesting revolver. Very accurate, but a surprising amount of recoil for a 9mm. And it really, really doesn't like to be shot dirty, or have a cheap dirty powder cartridge used in it. At least mine doesn't.

Twenty rounds or so and it needs at least wiping down the cyclinder face and crane or it will get very tight and gritty feeling.
  • Like 1
I am curious how the new 9mm revolver(986&929) will be in the long run. Everyone says that about the 940's , and bent moonclips as well as weak primer strikes are issues. The 547 is just unique in a weird way. Edited by Patton

I am curious how the new 9mm revolver(986&929) will be in the long run. Everyone says that about the 940's , and bent moonclips as well as weak primer strikes are issues. The 547 is just unique in a weird way.

I doubt they will do much. They quit making 9mm revolvers because they didn’t sell. The .357Mag is far more desirable than the 9mm and if that’s too much you can shoot .38 in the same gun; that’s a pretty good selling point.

On the other hand a generation that grew up on Tupperware in 9mm and now has to pay through the nose for .357 (if they can get it) might make a difference.

S&W gives people what they ask for.

Is it the ammo or is the cylinder gap too tight?

Personally, I think it might be a bit of both. My 547 is very tight. It almost seems like the K-22 Combat Masterpiece in its construction. Everything seems to be fitted very closely in it. Even the cylinder to frame mate up is very snug.

As far as ammo...let me back up here, now that I think about it more; all but some of the better, high end defensive loads seemed to leave it pretty dirty.

About the only ammo that didn't was some special 124 grain reloads that I got from a small operation a few years ago. Blue Bunny Ammo from Eastside Gun Shop. But their reloading operation closed up before the shop did. The 9 was almost "boutique" style. I picked the bullet and the powder and load was worked out by the then armorer and myself. Pretty much a trial and error thing.

I think I still have a couple hundred rounds of it left. Guess it's about time to take it it again.