reloading 300blk

I would like to know what some of you are using to cut 223 brass down and what dies etc to reload your brass for 300blk I am just about down with my build and have 223 brass to use.  thanks in advance for all your info

Here's what I use to cut the cases off with. I just made a little wooden jig to drop them in so that they all get cut off around the same length. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-bench-top-cut-off-saw-61900.html

Dolomite will likely chime in on this one since it is a specific area that he has really done a lot of homework on so he'll probably be able to provide you a link to an awesome jig that a guy makes for this very purpose using this saw. I just haven't ever ordered one but will do it soon because I've got a good bit to cut coming up.

Edited by Luke E.
  • Like 1

what dies do some of you prefer in loading the brass, I may or may not cut my own now that I know that David stocks the brass.

I have an RCBS die set for blackout. The main reason (other than them being an awesome company with 2nd to none customer service) is because I could buy a dacapping rod for a 7.62x54r and put it in the blackout die for loading cast bullets that are a little oversized.

Depending on how much spare time you have and how much you value it, cutting your own will save a chunk of money over time. I guess Im assuming everyone else wants as much on hand as I do and if not it may not make much difference whether you buy or make it. Either way I would suggest buying one of the Caldwell pic rail brass catchers. Don't get the junk one that Velcro's around the handrail because you'll drive whatever distance necessary to get to a cliff to chunk it off of after the first mag. Edited by Luke E.

DO NOT BUY LEE. Not every Lee set has a problem but it seems about 1 in 10 do have problems.

If you buy RCBS Small base dies you will never have an issue. If you plan on shooting cast call RCBS and ask for an expander ball for a 7.62x39. It gives you a few extra thousandths to keep your brass from sizing your cast bullets down.

I use the Harbor Freight mini chop saw and this:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=80842

You can get it set so you do not have to trim although trimming is not a bad idea.

For trimming I made a trimmer using a 7.62x39 Lee trimmer before there were any trimmer available. These days I use a trimmer similar to the WFT.

Remember, chop first then size then trim.

DO NOT BUY LEE. Not every Lee set has a problem but it seems about 1 in 10 do have problems.

If you buy RCBS Small base dies you will never have an issue. If you plan on shooting cast call RCBS and ask for an expander ball for a 7.62x39. It gives you a few extra thousandths to keep your brass from sizing your cast bullets down.

You can get it set so you do not have to trim although trimming is not a bad idea.

For trimming I made a trimmer using a 7.62x39 Lee trimmer before there were any trimmer available. These days I use a trimmer similar to the WFT.

+1 on this setup. Works great!

Forgot to mention that I use the WFT trimmer when I posted the chop saw link earlier but other than that I think we use about the same setup. I'm sure there's a quicker process out there but any way that I could come up with that was quicker was also prohibitively (for me to justify for the number of cases I convert) expensive.
Gordon, do you have the link for that guy that sells the spring loaded (I think it was anyways) jig. I believe you PM's it to me once before but It got cleared out but if I remember correctly the link went to a thread over on arfcom or something.
I use my dillon xl650 with redding dies

1st stage is a universal decapping die.
2 is a neck sizing die with no rob in it so it just forms the outside or the brass. I found this easier on that die then the trim die.
3 is empty
4 is a ch4d trim die with dillon rt1200 trimmer
5 is empty

Single pass cuts them down. With a case feeder I can cut about 1200-1500 an hour. Just depends how fast I want to pull the handle. I used to cut the necks off on my band saw first to help my trimmer out a little. But honestly the trimmer is doing just fine cutting it all in smaller portions. I'll do a couple hundred then do something else for a bit and come back and do more after the trimmers cooled back down. It just saves time over chopping the necks off first.

July 1st dillon releases the rt1500 trimmer which is the upgrade to the rt1200. Three times the bearings and designed to do 300 blackout in a single pass. I'll be picking one up for sure.

2 is a neck sizing die with no rob in it so it just forms the outside or the brass. I found this easier on that die then the trim die.
3 is empty
5 is empty

Single pass cuts them down. With a case feeder I can cut about 1200-1500 an hour. Just depends how fast I want to pull the handle. I used to cut the necks off on my band saw first to help my trimmer out a little. But honestly the trimmer is doing just fine cutting it all in smaller portions. I'll do a couple hundred then do something else for a bit and come back and do more after the trimmers cooled back down. It just saves time over chopping the necks off first.

July 1st dillon releases the rt1500 trimmer which is the upgrade to the rt1200. Three times the bearings and designed to do 300 blackout in a single pass. I'll be picking one up for sure.

I thought really hard about basically the same setup that you've got but just don't do enough to justify the expense. Seems like a really sweet setup though!

3 is empty
5 is empty

THIS is the way to do it if you can justify tooling up for that kind of volume. My total round count on this caliber won't ever get bigger than a couple thousand. So, I'm stuck with the Chinese saw :)

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1