How Gunsmoke (TV Show) Ended

You mean he didn't turn in his badge and make an honest woman outta Kitty!  :rofl:

Come to think about I don't think I ever saw how they ended Gunsmoke. I know for a while they had them with out Matt. And they had that movie where the guy comes back, beats the hell outta Kitty and Matt has to come back from the Mountains where he had a family to save her.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

One thing I liked was all the "oddball characters" in the show. And that nobody had acceptable body hygiene except matt and maybe kitty. Most folks walked around covered in months of grime. Matt probably didn't have to worry about getting snuck up on, because he could probably smell em from the next county over.

• 5 months later...

Blowing the dust off this post.  My barbershop is running several series of Gunsmoke on their TV, and I have rediscovered this show.  I remember as a little boy watching this with my Dad.  I had thought about Santa getting me the entire series of DVDs, wow that it is expensive, but its a lot of DVDs.  However, Youtube seems to have every episode.  For the past week I have been watching a lot of Gunsmoke.  Man, they just don't make tv like this anymore. 

I think this show probably contributed a wee bit to my obsession of guns in some matter, or at least that is my story.  Oh this show, and those pesty green plastic army men when I was a kid too.

If you like old westerns, look into "Cheyenne" with Clint Walker. It was a little pricey, but I got my father-in-law all 7 seasons of it this last spring and summer. I had to do the dvd route as they really don't do much online. Next I'm thinking Sugarfoot and Bronco for him.

But on the plus side, it has given them many hours of enjoyment; and when they have finished with it, I'll watch it. Hopefully.

Or at least add it to the pile of others I intend to watch.

But that list just gets longer and longer. lol

I enjoyed Gun Smoke all my life from Childhood to Adult hood and I would be afraid to see what the cost would be to get the entire series on DVD. It was one of the longest if not the longest running show on Television........................ :shrug: :shrug:

I have had a search engine on ebay now for 3-4 months, and it appears for seasons 1-8 it runs about $200 to $250 (56 DVDs), and it appears that seasons 9-10 have been released, but season 11 will be released in Dec. 2014 and the other 8 seasons ?? (total 20 seasons) as per Wikipedia. 

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsmoke

On Amazon you can buy seasons 1-8, and I have seen this set as low as $199.  Its been in my cart for awhile.  As of this post, it was showing $249.

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Seasons-1-8/dp/B00BCJR9LQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1416937867&sr=8-11&keywords=gunsmoke+dvd+set

Speaking of old westerns, anyone remember the original "Wild Wild West"? (Robert Conrad & Ross Martin 1965-1969) It was before my time but I watched the re-runs back in the 90's.

Strange reason why it was cancelled: "Despite high ratings, the series was cancelled near the end of its fourth season as a concession to Congress over television violence." (from wikipedia)

Compared to today's violence on tv?? :squint:   Anyhow, I missed this show and was able to find the DVD set (all 104 episodes). :up:

First episode of Festus, (Us Haggens). His character changed somwhat after a few episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQoq6K0IG_A

Early episode, Ken Curtis was a singer with a western band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC--jr4CoLk

I'm sure all of us Gunsmoke fans know that Ken Curtis replaced Roy Rogers in the Sons of the Pioneers group.  He was a fine singer.