New Surplus Pistol Powder from David (DLM37015)

+1 for David, Got some .308 caliber 110 gr fmj from him for my 300 blackout early this year and it's working great!.

@Dolomite_supafly have you tried this powder to the 300 blackout? I'm almost out of the W296 and in the market for a new poweder.

I will try it soon. What are the specs on your 300? Barrel length and gas system length.

Hey David,

Will you have any 8lb jugs of W231?  If not I know you mentioned SR7625 as an alternative to W231, would you have any of that?

Will you have 115gr or 124gr FMJ's, possibly Montana Gold and primers?

Do you still have any bulk .22's?

If you have any of this can you provide ballpark prices for it?

Thanks

I have some 7625 and the bullets see you there
Hey David,

Will you have any 8lb jugs of W231?  If not I know you mentioned SR7625 as an alternative to W231, would you have any of that?

Will you have 115gr or 124gr FMJ's, possibly Montana Gold and primers?

Do you still have any bulk .22's?

If you have any of this can you provide ballpark prices for it?

Thanks

I had the great opportunity to meet Mr. David this morning at the show in Memphis where I picked up some powder and primers he had graciously promised to hold for me.  "Thank you, Mr. David!"

The one thing nobody has mentioned about the man is that he is very passionate about his reloading and can/will sell you more than you had planned on buying if you are not careful!  LOL!  With that said, I came home with a four pound bottle of this powder and now I am looking for some loading information to get me started.  Unlike the eight pound bottle, there are no numbers on the smaller four pounder.  I found some initial numbers that Ms. Sam had posted in an earlier thread, so is this where I start or do you guys have any advice on some basic starting loads for 9mm, 38/357mag, 44/44mag and 45acp?  Thanks!

LOAD DATA

9MM/115:  4.6 GRAINS 1150 FPS

9MM/124:  4.2 GRAINS 1100 FPS +P

.40/180:  5.5 GRAINS 950 FPS

.40/165:  5.8 GRAINS 1050 FPS

.40/155:  6.2 GRAINS 1150 FPS

.38 SPL/125:  5.0 GRAINS 1000 FPS

.38 SPL/148:  4.3 GRAINS 975FPS

.45/185:  6.8 5.8 GRAINS 950 FPS

.45/200:  6.5 GRAINS 950 FPS

.45/230:  5.8 5.0 GRAINS 850 FPS

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I had the great opportunity to meet Mr. David this morning at the show in Memphis where I picked up some powder and primers he had graciously promised to hold for me.  "Thank you, Mr. David!"

The one thing nobody has mentioned about the man is that he is very passionate about his reloading and can/will sell you more than you had planned on buying if you are not careful!  LOL!  With that said, I came home with a four pound bottle of this powder and now I am looking for some loading information to get me started.  Unlike the eight pound bottle, there are no numbers on the smaller four pounder.  I found some initial numbers that Ms. Sam had posted in an earlier thread, so is this where I start or do you guys have any advice on some basic starting loads for 9mm, 38/357mag, 44/44mag and 45acp?  Thanks!

LOAD DATA

9MM/115:  4.6 GRAINS 1150 FPS

9MM/124:  4.2 GRAINS 1100 FPS +P

.40/180:  5.5 GRAINS 950 FPS

.40/165:  5.8 GRAINS 1050 FPS

.40/155:  6.2 GRAINS 1150 FPS

.38 SPL/125:  5.0 GRAINS 1000 FPS

.38 SPL/148:  4.3 GRAINS 975FPS

.45/185:  6.8 5.8 GRAINS 950 FPS

.45/200:  6.5 GRAINS 950 FPS

.45/230:  5.8 5.0 GRAINS 850 FPS

the 45 data is 5.0 with the 230 and 5.8 with the 185 thanks for your buisness

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
Picked up a jug of this Sunday from David. I'll be loading up some 9mm 124g XTPs in the next couple of weeks to run in pistols and carbine. I'll post up my results when I'm done. Thanks David!

Thanks guys.  This is giving me some places to start.  Also, thanks Dolomite for fixing my post.  I just lifted that straight from the ad in the vendors section. 

Mr. David, I've already been loading some of this powder; looking good!

I'm liking 3.3 grains with 147 grain extreme plated 9mm bullet out of a Glock 34.  5.6 grains with a 230 grain extreme plated 45 acp bullet out of my Springfield TRP.  Consistant out of my Dillon powder drop.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wanting to load some 9mm 147gr coated lead with the new powder but can't find any numbers for just lead.  Everything is for jacketed that I have been able to find.  I decided to load up a couple with 3.0 grains of the CSB-1 powder to start with.  Does anyone feel that this is out of safety range?  None of my books have 147 lead recipes for Universal and I haven't been able to find much on the internet either.  Help, guys.

I was wanting to load some 9mm 147gr coated lead with the new powder but can't find any numbers for just lead.  Everything is for jacketed that I have been able to find.  I decided to load up a couple with 3.0 grains of the CSB-1 powder to start with.  Does anyone feel that this is out of safety range?  None of my books have 147 lead recipes for Universal and I haven't been able to find much on the internet either.  Help, guys.

I would be careful to make sure you see the bullets impact. My suspicion is it is too light.

You can ALWAYS start out using jacketed load data for a cast bullet of the same weight. Cast bullets have less pressure than jacketed when all else is equal. This applies to coated bullets as well but not plated. Plated bullets should be treated as jacketed bullets.

"Universal" is a specific powder it is not load data that can be used "universally".

• Like 1

I would be careful to make sure you see the bullets impact. My suspicion is it is too light.

You can ALWAYS start out using jacketed load data for a cast bullet of the same weight. Cast bullets have less pressure than jacketed when all else is equal. This applies to coated bullets as well but not plated. Plated bullets should be treated as jacketed bullets.

"Universal" is a specific powder it is not load data that can be used "universally".

I tend to start pretty light with any work-up and especially when there is a dearth of information.  Sorry, laziness caused me not to type "powder" behind Universal.  It's also interesting that the label of the CSB-1 powder says to use Universal loads.  Thanks, I'll watch to make sure for impacts and let you know how it goes.

I have been using Green Dot data for my Lee Powder disk and the info on the jug for loads (worked them up).

I am very happy with this powder especially for range use.

I am reloading for 9mm and just started for 45 ACP and it works very well for both calibers.

David also has had other powders so if you need some contact him.

He and Sam are both great to deal with and are gentlefolk.

• Like 1

Well, had the opportunity to slip off and shoot a few shells with the new powder.  I had loaded 5 each of two different beginning loads.  Both were using the CSB-1 which I was able to get from David.

1.  147gr BBI Hi-tech coated with 3.0 of CSB-1.  Load was smooth and functioned well.  Recoil was sort of a rolling kick and felt good.  No chrony but a very satisfying smack from the 147.  Brass landed just a few feet in front and slightly to my right.  No signs of high-pressure.  Brass was clean, no soot and appeared to have sealed well.

2.  115gr fmj with 4.2 of CSB-1.  Again, function and feeding were smooth with no ftf, fte or stovepipes.  Recoil was a little more snappy and and the gun felt good during the firing sequence.  Brass landed a little farther away but still within reason, maybe 4 or 5 feet away in front and again, slightly to the right.  No signs of high-pressure with round-edged primers but with a very slight cratering.  Clean brass.

Gun used was a S&W SD9VE that seems to digest anything I give it.  All in all, I may run the 147 bullet a little faster but I'm liking the 115 bullet at this loading a lot.  There was no time to shoot for accuracy today but I was banging the dirtclods I was aiming at with regular consistency so I feel it is shooting at POA with both loads and some paper targets will be next to try. 

• 1 month later...

I finally had a chance to look in to the powder I got from David last time he was in Memphis, thanks again David.  Looking at the Rio website http://www.shooterspagetx.com/rio/components_powders.htm it looks like the powder is CSB-5 judging by the color.  A lot of posts I see about the Surplus Pistol Powder is that it is CSB-1 and to use Universal data when loading.  I'm attaching two pictures  so you can compare them to the powder pictures in the link above. If it is CSB-5 would I still use the Universal load data?

David it is even possible that you got CSB-5 or are the colors off from my picture to the pictures on the Rio website?  Picture below. Dolomite, I tried to match your photo for comparison of the powder you have and the powder I got.

Thanks for the help.

CSB1or5-b.jpg

CSB1or5-a.jpg