So my Great Uncle had this Ranger II Stick-Steer fishing boat....

... and when he passed away years ago, it was put up under a shed with other implements.  Over the years, I have watched it sitting up there... tires rotting away... nothing touched from when he last took it out.   The last TN registration expired in '02.  As a kid, I spent hours upon hours sitting on a cooler in the middle of that boat... handing out the sausage and biskets from one cooler... and taking the crappie off of the line and putting them in the other cooler while my Great Aunt and Great Uncle fished the day away with 5 or 6 poles a piece.

With my own son taking a huge interest in fishing, I am determined to get this boat back in the water.  My nephew and I went over this evening and put new fuel in a clean tank, fab'd up a new fuel line - put the lower in a trash can of water and "borrowed" a battery.

To my great surprise, the starter turned over like she had just run yesterday.  I didn't have the correct clip for the fuel line, so it wouldn't hold pressure.  The motor wanted to fire, but couldn't draw fuel.  I will fix the fuel line tomorrow.

Knowing that she will turn over, I will check plugs for spark and make sure the fuel can get to the carburetor.  For you outboard geniuses, am I crazy for cranking it without tearing it down and checking the rings, etc.  ??  That is beyond my experience, but I am willing.  I just don't want to sink any more money than I have to until she runs.  It has been sitting for at least 12 years.

By the way - power tilt worked like a charm as well.  I am a little beside myself, but we're not out of the woods yet.

What would you do to get it back in running condition?

It's sat around in TN Weather for 10 + years. I've had a few boats in the past 40 years and to me the biggest issue might be the 

rubber water pump impeller (depending on manufacturer). It's normally located int he lower unit.

Here's a couple of youtube vids on how folks go about replacing them. You're engine might be different but if you lose it out on the lake you might burn up your motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJP93UpCyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQNhFYFvdQ

• Like 2

Thanks guys-

Went back over tonight and checked for spark.  2 out of 4.  Wiring harness is gone.  I've sourced the part.  I will patch up the wiring tomorrow and see if I can get spark in all 4.  If so, I will order the harness.  I will also replace fuel lines inside the engine.  It's tight in there!  

Thanks guys-

Went back over tonight and checked for spark.  2 out of 4.  Wiring harness is gone.  I've sourced the part.  I will patch up the wiring tomorrow and see if I can get spark in all 4.  If so, I will order the harness.  I will also replace fuel lines inside the engine.  It's tight in there!  

How's it coming along, Peace? I 2nd Lowpower's suggestion about replacing the impeller. It's an easy part to replace and the rubber has quite likely dried out which if your luck is anything like mine means that it will hold together while you're testing things out and getting her going but during your first couple of trips out it will come apart. They are kind of line that fuel line you have been replacing, it's still in it's original shape but once pressure is put on it and one little piece starts coming loose, the whole thing will fly apart. The worst part about the impeller going out is that if the boat doesn't have a working temp gauge, you won't know it's gone out until the motor locks up unless you just happen to notice that the motors not "pissing".I've got a fair bit of experience working on outboards (non fuel injected) and when I was in motorcycle mechanics school I spent some time in the marine dept. just because I was interested. I would recommend that you also, at minimum, pour some Seafoam or the like down into each carb and let it soak a couple times. I personally would pull the carbs and clean them but if I didn't know how to do it myself I would try the Seafoam thing first before paying someone to do the work. What brand and size is the motor? Also what do you think the age is? If you run into a snag, feel free to ask any questions you'd like. If it's something that isn't easily communicated online I might could stop by and give you a hand on my way through sometime. I hope there's nothing major needed and you and your son can hit the water soon!

It's on pause for the week.  I live in Nashville; it is in Jackson.  I'm not buying tires for the trailer until I am sure that I can get it to run!  Although it would be a lot easier to work on tucked right beside the garage.   :pleased:  - just trying to be cautious and not through good money after bad.  ... but then again, I am working on a boat!

If I do get it to Nashville, I will take you up on some help pulling the lower and replacing the impeller.  I will probably have to pull the carburetors and clean them - maybe jets... but I will soak them in seafoam spray for now.

If you bring the wheels and tires back with you next time, Tire World in Lavergne Keeps a good stock of used tires that are decent behind the shop. I bought a set of Michelin tires with 75% for my pickup and mounted and balanced I payed $75. I'm sure there are other places that do the same but I've always had good luck finding decent stuff there.