AT&T coverage in TN? Im jones'n for an Iphone

How many of you guys (and gals) are using AT&T?

I currently have all my lines with Verizon (including 2 Blackberrys) but can no long resist the urge to buy an Iphone.

Any of you guys using one for business in this area?

My concern is coverage, so I may switch my Blackberry line over to a standard voice only phone, and keep Verizon, and then add the Iphone with AT&T.

Any personal experience that I can draw from?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

Dunno about that area Joe, but here in Memphis AT&T is awesome.. It is my company (FedEx) phone (Blackberry), and I am on call 24/7 and never had an issue. I do travel on business to several other states and still no issues.

• Administrator

One of our execs just bought an iPhone 8GB model and we activated it for use with our corporate Exchange server. She really likes it and I think the phone is pretty much the cat's pajamas. I'd take one in a heartbeat if Apple ever allows Verizon to carry them.

Her experience with the AT&T network has been good so far and we've received no complaints about dropped calls. Bear in mind this is in Davidson Co. so I am sure the tower coverage is really, really good. I have no idea what it would be like down near you.

Guest EasilyObsessed

One of my good friends works for AT&T in sales. Even he will admit that if you want the best coverage, go with Verizon. That being said, I think almost everyone I know has an iPhone, and with the exception of inside the hospital (where even Verizon barely works), none of them have had any problems with coverage.

Please, let me make one request before you get an iPhone. If you want to show off features to people, please inquire as to if they have already experienced the iPhone show n' tell. It is only interesting the first time. After that, seeing the same features over and over again is irritating :koolaid: (Note: This may be a side effect of 20 something people I know buying iphones in the past three months.)

Guest Doindonuts

I use it out here in Knoxville and Maryville. In my experience it is excellent. I've had Verizon in the past and dropped calls like crazy. Have been completely satisfied with AT&T.

Guest eyebedam

I have a iPhone. Actually I'm typing this message on of now. My only issue is with the email service. On my blackberry I will get the email almost instantly. With the iPhone it can take anywhere between 20 minutes to 36 hours before I recieve it. Also the speaker on the iPhone sucks & if your trying to talk on it with any type of background noise you will be muffled out because of the placement of the mic. I'm not bashing the iPhone because it is cool as hell but you should atleast know of the few downsides to it. Also Blackberry supposedly has a new touchscreen phone coming out really really soon.

After being disgusted with Sprint's declining service, I switched to AT&T pay-as-you-go back in January as a temporary no-contract service until T-Mobile was available in Knoxville. I'll have to say, I've been very pleased with AT&T coverage and quality of service everywhere I've been so far and haven't considered leaving yet. The T-Mobile G1 is tempting me, but that's just gadget lust, not dissatisfaction with AT&T. Verizon still seems to be king of coverage nationwide however.

I will admit that I am drawn to the Iphone simply as a toy :wave:

I think what I should do is buy one and keep all of my Verizon accounts for now.

There is no way I can deal with email lag in business, so I will keep my Blackberry 8830 for now.

You could get the iPod Touch ... 90% of the iPhone toys without the service contract. I've got one and love it. Wherever you have wifi access it's basically the same device minus phone service.

I've had ATT/cingular/ATT/cingular/ATT:screwy: since 1999. I've had great coverage in rural Arkansas/Mississippi/Memphis/Nashville. The only thing with ATT is you need to check your bill for accuracy. I've heard this is a common problem to over charge on their bills.

I've had excellent service. From Greenville S.C. inside the Shriner's Hospital to Middlesboro Ky. on my 4 wheeler on top of a Mt. I've gotten service in 4 wheelin in Evarts Ky. in spots, but it's in the middle of nowhere. Also sent pics back to the wife in Blountville from there too with no problems.

I have the 3g. I had sprint, but switched on the day they came out. If I remember correctly, I had a good edge signal at the store the last time I was there. Next time I am out that way, you can see what kind of signal it has there.

Guest Verbal Kint
I will admit that I am drawn to the Iphone simply as a toy :wave:

I think what I should do is buy one and keep all of my Verizon accounts for now.

There is no way I can deal with email lag in business, so I will keep my Blackberry 8830 for now.

This is a snippet taken from another forum I'm a member of. They were discussing the upcoming Blackberry Storm (as well as the Javelin and Bold). This view reminded me of what you said above, and I have to agree with the user that stated it.

But I do think they <RIM> have a much stronger hold on the business market, and as these Gen X & Yer's grow up and become a stronger force in the biz community - they will be handed a BB from their employer. Long term thinkers on track with their goals Waterloo is.

September 29, 2008, 11:09 am

Rumor: An iPhone for Verizon in 2009

Chalk this one up to wishful thinking.

A leading Apple blog posted a rumor Sunday that the iPhone — which is currently available in the United States only through AT&T Wireless — could be coming to Verizon, perhaps as early as January 2009.

Cleve Nettles, writing in 9 to 5 Mac, says “negotiations between Apple and Verizon are ongoing but they expect to hammer out agreements by the end of the year.â€

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/29/rumor-an-iphone-for-verizon-in-2009/

I agree with the suggestion for the iPod touch, it is great and I've never had any issues with the email lagging. Have you thought of getting a first generation iPhone that has been unlocked?

I may try to find a used 1G and see how I like it first.

Another thing to consider is at&t customer service. I am a new DSL customer and have found out ma bell isn't the company she once was. Rebates are offered and made impossible to claim, despite terms saying checks will be paid, they pay off in hard to use Visa debit cards. The state of NC has successfully sued them over the debit cards and other litigation is pending.

Having gone through what I have to try to get the $100 rebate I was promised, I will do my best to avoid all things at&t for the rest of my time here on this planet. They are thieves, pure and simple. I haven't gotten the rebate due me, it's now 9 weeks, it was promised in 4.

If you go for it, go in with your eyes open, and know that any rebate offered will never be paid to you.

Guest eyebedam

Joe you could port your blackberries over to AT&T so you could keep 1 bill with multiple lines. Blackberrys server is the same on all carriers to my knowledge as far as the email goes. Although the phone service it self is from different providers blackberry has the on web acces that all companies use on their products alone. Atleast thats how it was explained to me.