So I made a peep sight for my AK

I recently bought a M85 AK pistol in 223. It has some pretty awful sights because the rear sight is too thin. A friend mentioned trying a V notch and I did but that only made the problem worse because now the light coming in from the sides is inconsistent and it made it very hard to get the same sight picture. It also had a couple of white dots as well as a white number 2 that was very distracting. I did blacken the rear sight and it did help out immensely but the V still wasn't very easy to use compared to the 400 meter notch. I was able to shoot some nice groups yesterday at 27 yards, 25 meters, using the Tula I have. I had several groups where the rounds were touching using the long range notch, which is till a bit narrow, but with the V notch I was lucking to get 1". I figured the rear sight was junk so I spent all day yesterday looking for sights for it and could not find anything, either factory or original Krinkov or aftermarket, that was reasonably priced or that would even work.

I got to thinking I could probably make a decent peep sight that will work. I took a 4-40 allen head bolt and I drilled through the recess for the wrench for the aperture. After that I took a chainsaw file, that was the same diameter as the head of the allen bolt, and opened up the V notch so the allen head would drop in. Then I used some 5 minute epoxy to put it all together and I must say it looks great. I used a .070" diameter drill bit for the opening. I originally used a .090" but it was too large, .070" seems about perfect.

I am going to run it as it is and if the epoxy fails I will just have it silver soldered in place for a more permanent fix.

Another problem I had was the front sight needed to be moved too far to the left for my liking. I know it is an AK but not having the sights somewhat centered really bothers me. I got to looking and noticed the rear sight has a spring loaded detent to keep the sight from flopping between 2 and 4. And that spring loaded detent pushes the rear sight to the left, not a lot but enough that the front sight needs to be at the far left of its adjustment. It was pushing the rear sight over to the left so much that the front sight needed to be moved more than I like. I had to drill the detent hole all the way through and tap it for a set screw to capture the detent spring from the opposite side. By moving the detent from the right side to the left the rear sight will be pushed to the right by the spring, rather than to the left like originally, and hopefully it will be enough to bring the front sight more to the center.

IMG_0201_zps08d451ea.jpg

IMG_0203_zpseca9c6cd.jpg

IMG_0205_zps30fe42f6.jpg

IMG_0206_zpsfa094375.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday when I zeroed it the rounds were hitting 3" to the left with the front sight centered. After adjusting the front sight to zero the impacts it was pretty far to the left. So much so that it screwed up the sight picture, especially with the V notch.

After switching the side of the detent I zeroed it again and doing the work to the rear sight worked. Initially the rounds were hitting about 2" to the right before adjustments. After making the adjustments the front sight wings are now hidden by the peep sight and actually the front sight is pretty well centered. Before the work I would see the right wing of the front sight.

That's pretty sweet! I have never dealt with AK's but how do you adjust for the elevation? I assume that the peep hole is just about the same height as the v notch would have been though. Would you just replace or grind the front sight if you had to?

For elevation, you adjust the front sight post. It goes either up or down, like an AR front sight.

Dolomite;

I am having the exact same sight issues with my M92.

If you find the time, would you please post a few more details about how you altered the detent on the rear sight? I'm a very visual learner, so if you have any pics during the process that be immensely helpful.

I too opened my rear sight and it helped. But with my aging eyesight I still find the rear site, while using the shoulder brace, too close for my liking. A peep sight would definitely prove an upgrade.

Nice work Dolomite and thanks for sharing the info.

Dolomite;

If you find the time, would you please post a few more details about how you altered the detent on the rear sight? I'm a very visual learner, so if you have any pics during the process that be immensely helpful.

I too opened my rear sight and it helped. But with my aging eyesight I still find the rear site, while using the shoulder brace, too close for my liking. A peep sight would definitely prove an upgrade.

Dolomite;

Give me a call.

I would love to have a peep on my Saiga.  I'd also like to move the sight back to the rear of the receiver, but I'm afraid the receiver cover would move around too much.

Saiga rifle or Saiga shotgun?

On a Saiga shotgun moving the sight to the rear of the cover works great. It doesn't move enough to affect the inherent inaccuracy of any shotgun.