Rainwater collection / water trough for deer hunting

Ok, I hunt on almost 300 acres. It's 300acres of all trees and no water :( The deer hunting can be great, but not predictable. I/they NEED a water source on the property. I cant dig a pond or I would.

Would a water trough / rainwater collection system be considered baiting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxiTBn7moM

Some examples I found on the Net:

trough1.jpg

53f25944.jpg

Edited by Batman

That's what I'm thinking. I know the deer have to leave the property to get water, and I'm sure that I would see more action if they didn't have to do that.

I doubt rainwater collection could be considered baiting because it falls from the sky, but if I drag a tank of H2O on a trailer in there.... I dunno?

• Like 1

They allow salt and other "bait" blocks I don't see why they would say anything about a water collection system.  On my property I collect water off my 8x8 hunting stand, it collects into three 55gl barrels with an overflow.  Quite often I see wildlife taking advantage of that, the water is for my fruit trees when rain is scarce, but the added wildlife advantage is great.

• Like 1

They allow salt and other "bait" blocks I don't see why they would say anything about a water collection system. On my property I collect water off my 8x8 hunting stand, it collects into three 55gl barrels with an overflow. Quite often I see wildlife taking advantage of that, the water is for my fruit trees when rain is scarce, but the added wildlife advantage is great.

Hey, I like that. I have some 2 year old apple trees near a couple of my stands. They could certainly benefit from it too. Win-win. A roof collection system sounds like the most efficient way to go. Using this formula:

HARVESTED H2O (gal) = CATCHMENT AREA (sqft) x RAINFALL DEPTH (in) x 0.623 conversion factor

means that a 4'x8' collection roof would give me about 20gal of water with 1" of rainfall.

I'm gonna give it a try

Hey, I like that. I have some 2 year old apple trees near a couple of my stands. They could certainly benefit from it too. Win-win. A roof collection system sounds like the most efficient way to go. Using this formula:

HARVESTED H2O (gal) = CATCHMENT AREA (sqft) x RAINFALL DEPTH (in) x 0.623 conversion factor

means that a 4'x8' collection roof would give me about 20gal of water with 1" of rainfall.

I'm gonna give it a try

Be sure to use blue barrels or paint what ever you get a dark color.  I used white ones and the algae grew pretty fast; I used all kinds of things to get rid of it but at the end changed to blue barrels and a teaspoon of pool shock once every few months.  

Be sure to use blue barrels or paint what ever you get a dark color.  I used white ones and the algae grew pretty fast; I used all kinds of things to get rid of it but at the end changed to blue barrels and a teaspoon of pool shock once every few months.  

The plants and critters don't care about the algae.  It's the same as the water they normally drink. 

I do suggest you put a mosquito dunk in, especially before you plan to be up there hunting.  Rain barrels are nice, but they're mosquito factories. 

Thanks, I'll get the blue or paint dark.

The plants and critters don't care about the algae.  It's the same as the water they normally drink. 

I do suggest you put a mosquito dunk in, especially before you plan to be up there hunting.  Rain barrels are nice, but they're mosquito factories.

What's a mosquito dunk? I definitely want to get rid of the skeeters! Those pests must think I'm candy or something because they will feed on me like piranhas.
  • Like 1

I took care of the mosquito problem by putting screen at each opening, even the catch part so I have to clean it out every once in awhile. I still get a bunch of mosquitos when its warm though since there is running water for about 4 days after a storm between two of the draws and it leaves standing water for long after that.  But they seem to disappear during hunting season, so that's a plus.

I took care of the mosquito problem by putting screen at each opening, even the catch part so I have to clean it out every once in awhile. I still get a bunch of mosquitos when its warm though since there is running water for about 4 days after a storm between two of the draws and it leaves standing water for long after that.  But they seem to disappear during hunting season, so that's a plus.

Screen is a good idea. I'll add that to my list

If the screen was small enough to keep mosquitoes eggs out, water wouldn't get in.

The solution is these or minnows. 

018506001100lg.jpg

I question how much they'll use it in our climate and region. In very dry times I think they absolutely would. Idk about average rainfall times. They can drink out of puddles and get water from dew and succulent food sources. I'd think it'd be like that old lead a horse to water thing and you'd have additional mosquitoes lol

An easier option may be to find a good flat spot that might hold water and start a large salt lick. After a few years they'll tear it up/dig it out and I've seen these holes hold water well. I guess you could even dig it out some with a shovel. Plus at the same time of year when they'd be lacking in water sources ,like mid summer droughts periods, they'll be attracted to salt also.

I question how much they'll use it in our climate and region. In very dry times I think they absolutely would. Idk about average rainfall times. They can drink out of puddles and get water from dew and succulent food sources. I'd think it'd be like that old lead a horse to water thing and you'd have additional mosquitoes lol

An easier option may be to find a good flat spot that might hold water and start a large salt lick. After a few years they'll tear it up/dig it out and I've seen these holes hold water well. I guess you could even dig it out some with a shovel. Plus at the same time of year when they'd be lacking in water sources ,like mid summer droughts periods, they'll be attracted to salt also.

I think they'll use it. It's dry as a bone. I have a couple of salt pits that they keep dug up, but there's just no water.

Wouldn't worry about the color of the barrels, the deer could care less. 

It seems the darker (not transparent) barrels reduce the algea growth