Gun prices and new laws

Question: Suppose a new weapons ban is passed into law, and due to go into effect toward the end of 2009. Suppose there will be an order to surrerender all banned weapons to the local police. Will the price of banned weapons go up or go down? I can see it either way. Maybe people really want these guns, so there is a demand and the price goes up. On the other hand, maybe a lot of people who already own these weapons will want to dump them so they can stay legal. Which is more likely, do you think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

I sold all my guns to a big black dude with a gold tooth and a tattoo down by the projects. Cash only and my dog ate the receipts. That's my story and waterboarding me wouldn't change the story.

Guest Bronker

They would get a couple of single shot .22LR and a BB gun.

"Yessir Mr. G-Man, that's all I have. Sold the rest of them to a nice gentleman downtown. Had was offering cash, and 'protection.'"

"Maybe you should go see him...."

Guest nraforlife
No one answered my question, but that's OK. I don't know the answer, either.:screwy:

Ok.... Remember back to the banned items under Clinton, for example Pre-Ban Glock magazines, the ones that held 17+ rds of ammo, went through the roof price wise. SKS's that sold for <$100 well kiss those goodbye.

Question: Suppose a new weapons ban is passed into law, and due to go into effect toward the end of 2009. Suppose there will be an order to surrerender all banned weapons to the local police. Will the price of banned weapons go up or go down? I can see it either way. Maybe people really want these guns, so there is a demand and the price goes up. On the other hand, maybe a lot of people who already own these weapons will want to dump them so they can stay legal. Which is more likely, do you think?

Black market prices on weapons will be higher than current retail as there will be no legal retail making the black market sort of a monopoly.

Current black market prices are cheaper on some items due the items being stolen and higher on the items that are smuggled in as the smuggling cost have to be covered.

Guest unreconstructed1

given the type of complete non- grandfathered ban you are suggesting, I would say dealer prices would plummet, as sales dwindled. No one would want to buy new weapons, as federal paperwork from a gun, say a month before the abn would go into effect, would be directly traced back to them. I would say that there would be several "burglaries", as a few extremely pro gun friendly dealers would see to it that they coud recoup certain losses through insurance rather than take the FEDs version of "fair market price"

private person to person sales, however, would skyrocket, as most would be folks wanting to dump their guns. in the end, there would be an underground black market trade in this country not seen since the days of prohibition. a lot of these guns would probably be converted to auto fire by those who have the means, and in the following years, crime would skyrocket. JMHO

Guest Dean_JC78

Price would go up I would think. It is how it works. Just look back at how much some pre ban AR15's were going for while banned.

On the positive side of bans (If there is one) here in the states they tend to ban new sale of such weapons/items and not existing ones. It is much easier to enforce and meets less political resistance. Such is the case with the AR15's for firearms and for items Cuba Cigs. JFK told all his buddies about the Cig ban and they litterly went out the night before he signed it to stock up on them.

So my advice would be that if you want something that Obama will have his sights on... I would HIGHLY recomend that you go get it soon. Even if it is not banned yet, the notion that it might in the near future can send the price higher.