Wiring advice

ironsniper1

Power on and meter set on 120v+ correct?

correct, though i turned the light off and put both leads on the black wires and got about 125v

EDIT: this is the meter i have http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Commercial-Electric-HDM-4400-Digital-Multimeter-23-Range-7-Function-/151059804889 its a cheapy not one of those nice $100+ fluke meters

Edited by luke9511

if i try that i will need to desolder the red and white wires but it is worth a shot unless someone else comes up with something else

No, this shows you the relationship of the wires. Your white and two black wires should be the same as the white, black and red in the pic. You just need to id which wires equals the three in the pic and connect them accordingly.

if you mean the light switch no, if you mean the fuse box that i dont know

Is it really a fuse box, or does it have breakers?

Fuses:

electrical_panel_inside_1541_marcelle_av

Breakers:

fuse-box.jpg

If the house has old style fuses and we already know it has cloth wrapped wiring....   If this is a place you intend to live in for any length of time, I'd call an electrician and get the whole house rewired.  The cloth wire insulation dries out over time and can become a fire hazard. 

ok so i did my testing and here is what i found, i am attaching a picture and all 3 wires are numbered 1,2,3 now when i put the + lead on wire 3 and the - lead on wire 1 i get a reading of 88.8v, when i put the + lead on wire 3 and the - lead on wire 2 i get 10v and last when i put the leads on wires 1 and 2 i get a reading of 124v

IMG_2598.jpg

Edited by luke9511

ok heres what i found with the wires at the switch at the bottom of the stairs, again picture is attached and they are numbered 1,2,3 now with the - lead on wire 3 and + lead on wire 1 i get 20.2v, with the - lead on wire 3 and + lead on wire 2 i get 00.9, with the - lead on wire 2 and + lead on wire 1 i get 20.6v

IMG_2599.jpg

Edited by luke9511

ok heres what i found with the wires at the switch at the bottom of the stairs, again picture is attached and they are numbered 1,2,3 now with the - lead on wire 3 and + lead on wire 1 i get 20.2v, with the - lead on wire 3 and + lead on wire 2 i get 00.9, with the - lead on wire 2 and + lead on wire 1 i get 20.6v

IMG_2599.jpg

Suggest that for clarity, you label the second switch 4,5, & 6

and summarize in list, the readings

ex.

1-

2-

3-..........

Edited by R_Bert