New to TN, new to forum!

Hi everyone.  I'm a recent transplant from the DC Metro area (Fairfax, VA to be more specific - home of the NRA HQ).  The family and I recently moved to Spring Hill, TN in search of a less-political and more wholesome place to live.  We think we found a good area so far!

I'm not new to shooting but years ago sold off all my firearms.  I'm looking to buy a few so I'd like some suggestions on local stores.  I'd of course love some recommendations on ranges too.

I also have some questions regarding TN laws and firearm purchasing (i looked over the FAQ but didn't see any answers):

1)  What IDs do I have to present when purchasing from an FFL?

2)  Are private party transfers legal without using an FFL or paying a transfer fee (so long as both are residents of TN).

3)  Are there any transportation (of firearms) laws I should be aware of? (in VA it was very lax and guns could be transported loaded and not locked up - even just sitting on the dash of your car)

Thanks!

Edited by Capsaicin
  • Like 1

Welcome

Hi everyone.  I'm a recent transplant from the DC Metro area (Fairfax, VA to be more specific - home of the NRA HQ).  The family and I recently moved to Spring Hill, TN in search of a less-political and more wholesome place to live.  We think we found a good area so far!

I'm not new to shooting but years ago sold off all my firearms.  I'm looking to buy a few so I'd like some suggestions on local stores.  I'd of course love some recommendations on ranges too.

I also have some questions regarding TN laws and firearm purchasing (i looked over the FAQ but didn't see any answers):

1)  What IDs do I have to present when purchasing from an FFL?

2)  Are private party transfers legal without using an FFL or paying a transfer fee (so long as both are residents of TN).

3)  Are there any transportation (of firearms) laws I should be aware of? (in VA it was very lax and guns could be transported loaded and not locked up - even just sitting on the dash of your car)

Thanks!

1) TN DL

2) Yes

3) Yes you can, I would not put it in the dash.

Be safe, firearm on the dash is not a good idea.( I know you are joking)

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Regarding "dashboard carry", I was never brazen (stupid) enough to actually do it, but it was legal. It was considered open carry (which didn't require a CCW in VA). Is open carry legal in TN?

On your own property or with a HCP elsewhere.