Over torqued barrel nut

Were they billet receivers that didn't fit? Every clamshell vise block that I've seen has been made to fit mil-spec forged uppers and I've never seen one that would mesh with a billet receiver without some Dremel work

One was the TGO upper and the other was whatever came with the Ace pistol kit.

It seems to me that the only place you really want to grip the upper anyway is right behind the barrel nut. There is plenty of support material there and it is where you really want to be applying the resistant torque anyway. More and more I'm liking my idea of a wrench over vice blocks for the upper. Though the vice blocks might still be needed for the muzzle.

UPDATE:

It's an Anderson upper. With a S&W upper/barrel, the BCG/CH work fine. With a S&W BCG/CH his Anderson upper still gets stuck.

So, he borrowed a brand new Anderson upper and installed everything (only took 32 ft lbs to line up the gas tube this time). VERY careful not to stress any part this time. And the same damn thing happens with both BCG/CH combos.

Here's what we noticed: both receivers have severe scarring inside the channel where the charging handle rubs against the top. There is corresponding damage to a new charging handle and the bumps on the CH near the front are damaged. Also, we see badly worn finish where the CH grabs the BCG on both parts from the force needed to remove the round.

Since we're 100% sure he didn't damage the 2nd upper during install, we think they bought from a bad batch of uppers. He bought a new one (DPMS this time) and is going to TRY to get Anderson to exchange or refund.

I can't thank you guys enough for your input. I'm sorry I can't post pics right now, but I'll ask him to send me some pics.

Anything you can think of that I missed?

One was the TGO upper and the other was whatever came with the Ace pistol kit.

It seems to me that the only place you really want to grip the upper anyway is right behind the barrel nut. There is plenty of support material there and it is where you really want to be applying the resistant torque anyway. More and more I'm liking my idea of a wrench over vice blocks for the upper. Though the vice blocks might still be needed for the muzzle.

There is a tool that slides in in place of the BCG and it engages the lugs. You clamp the other end in a vise then tighten the barrel but. Absolutely zero pressure on the receiver. I can't remember who makes it but will look it up when I get home if someone else doesn't chime in by then. If I built more I'd buy one.

There is a tool that slides in in place of the BCG and it engages the lugs. You clamp the other end in a vise then tighten the barrel but. Absolutely zero pressure on the receiver. I can't remember who makes it but will look it up when I get home if someone else doesn't chime in by then. If I built more I'd buy one.

Giesselle makes one.

http://geissele.com/reaction-rod.html

There are several makers.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Ah yes. I recall seeing that one. Seems like a good idea. Though for tightening the barrel nut, you're torquing against the keying nub (whatever that's called). Not sure if that would make a difference. Definitely better for the muzzle I would think though.

Brownell's calls theirs a Barrel Extension Torque Tool

[media]http://youtu.be/n4Y_JrfDcXU[/media]

edit: For $40, it's a pretty good idea, IMO. I may try that on my next build. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

Edited by BigK

Tuesday evening my over-torquing co-worker emailed Cheaper Than Dirt describing his problem and all the steps he took to troubleshoot the issue. He simply asked for a refund or credit and they emailed him back the next morning saying they've issued a full refund including shipping and that he could keep or throw away the defective upper.

Pretty good customer service, if you ask me.

• Like 1