Dacron Fillers for light loads

I have a place to hunt next week where ranges will be 10 to 50 yards.  My favorite rifle is a Remington Pump in .308.  However, last year, I shot a small buck under my stand and destroyed a lot of meat.  A 30-30 would have been just about right.

So, this year I am loading 30-30 level loads in my .308.  I am loading a 150 gr. Hornady Flat point designed for 30-30 velocities on top of 28-29 grs. I-4895 which will get me about 1,800 fps.  However this is a reduced load which does not give best accuracy and lacks the pressure to seal the mouth of the case to the chamber resulting in sooty cases.

Here is a photo of two groups shot at 50 yards with the load described. (target sticker is 1" diameter) I was using a scope set on 3 power off a rest on a bench.

20141107_143007_zps5a9ce253.jpg

Here are a couple of groups that I shot with the same load, but with 3/4 grs. dacron fiber filler between the powder column and the base of the bullet.

20141107_143031_zpse93cb6ba.jpg

Here is another three round group that had excellent potential before a little "operator error".

3.photobucket.com/user/jaysouth100/media/dacron%20filler/20141107_143037_zps8774435a.jpg.html]20141107_143037_zps8774435a.jpg[/URL]

All of the rounds fired with the dacron filler got excellent seal between case mouth and chamber and were much more accurate than the cases half full of air.  My game plan for future reloading is to use dacron filler for all cast and jacketed loads of less than 80-90 % powder volume in the case.

Pistol?

44 mag, 2x scope

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/pistols/SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg.html]SuperBlackHawk44Mag_zpsd0e3a7c0.jpg[/URL]

Yea, I can muddy the water a bit sometimes.

Any pistol from 38 up will get the job done.

• Like 1
I have found that my 3030 inside of 50 yards doesn't drop them. It killed them but I have had to do some tracking in the past. During these scenarios I was shooting a 150 grain soft point that didn't lose enough speed to tumble. Those were perfect from 100-200 yards. I have switched to a 170 grain core lock since moving back to TN and mostly wood hunt with a max of 150 yards shot. I hope this will solve this problem. I plan on reloading 3030 next year and may work on some light loads that will tumble on impact at 50-75 yards if the heavier bullets don't work better.

Gun is a model 94 Winchester if anyone has experimented with this, starting points could help.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by jtmaze

I have found that my 3030 inside of 50 yards doesn't drop them. It killed them but I have had to do some tracking in the past. During these scenarios I was shooting a 150 grain soft point that didn't lose enough speed to tumble. Those were perfect from 100-200 yards. I have switched to a 170 grain core lock since moving back to TN and mostly wood hunt with a max of 150 yards shot. I hope this will solve this problem. I plan on reloading 3030 next year and may work on some light loads that will tumble on impact at 50-75 yards if the heavier bullets don't work better.

Gun is a model 94 Winchester if anyone has experimented with this, starting points could help.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for a bullet that will expand.  I have never heard of a 150 or 170 gr. flat point  bullet "tumbling" from a 1:12" barreled Winchester m-94.  "tumbling" is an indication of ballistic instability from too short or long a bullet for the barrel twist.  I want a bullet that will go straight though from point of impact expanding along the way.  That way I can pick the organs/bones I want to destroy to bring down a game animal.

Round pure lead balls going 500 fps killed about half the deer killed in this country since white people began hunting deer.

"tumble" is only sought after when you cannot use a hollow point or expanding bullet on a human target, like the 5.56 from an M-4.

Edited by jaysouth
  • Like 1

Look for a bullet that will expand. I have never heard of a 150 or 170 gr. flat point bullet "tumbling" from a 1:12" barreled Winchester m-94. "tumbling" is an indication of ballistic instability from too short or long a bullet for the barrel twist. I want a bullet that will go straight though from point of impact expanding along the way. That way I can pick the organs/bones I want to destroy to bring down a game animal.

Round pure lead balls going 500 fps killed about half the deer killed in this country since white people began hunting deer.

"tumble" is only sought after when you cannot use a hollow point or expanding bullet on a human target, like the 5.56 from an M-4.

I got you. I may need a better bullet. If I remember correctly the problems I was having was a Rem Core lock. Entry and exit wounds the same size and lung shots that would run forever.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk