Kindle and other readers

hipower

This would be the Kindle Fire and up version? Not the PaperWhite?

Correct.

The PaperWhite and other reader-only versions will connect to the internet, but only allow you to manage what is on your device.  You can purchase/download new books, manage what books are on your device at any given time, etc.  

The Fire will act essentially as an iPad and allow you to surf net, online banking, watch Netflix/Hulu, run gaming apps, etc.  A lot stuff (and expense) it doesn't sound like you want.  

Another cool thing about the Kindle's is once you own a book, it links to your Amazon account.  You can then read on your Kindle, or one of many other devices (your computer, an iPad/iPhone app), and it will sync your reading across devices.  So if you're reading on your Kindle, but then the next day want to read from your computer, it keeps track of where you are and when you log into your computer starts you off at the last place you were reading from the Kindle.  

I also find it to be relatively quick and easy to manage your library on the Kindle.  Mostly done through the Amazon website, or the device itself.  I've never had an issue getting non-Amazon books (from other sites mentioned in previous threads) onto my Kindle and reading them.  It's also been relatively easy figuring out how to get e-books from my local library onto the Kindle for my reading enjoyment also.  

All things considered, Amazon has a pretty well thought out e-reader experience in my opinion.  

Ok guys. Now that you've pretty much confirmed I'll get a Paper White. where is the best place to buy? Online? Stores like Best Buy?

I see that Ebay has the 4GB models around 130 with free shipping. Is that the latest and greatest of the PaperWhite? Or is another due soon?

Being always years behind any trend, I just use Kindle app on my laptop. Price can't be beat. ;)

Also though, the Luddite attraction of cheap real books from thrift stores and McKays is hard to break. :)

- OS

I do prefer, so far, real books. I have been known to spend hours in bookstores, leaving my wife wandering the sidewalks waiting for me.

Like many have said, I do like to read. I have stacks of books in various places around the house, and usually several in whatever vehicle I happen to be in, just in case I get stranded somewhere. lol

It does appear that some convenience can be derived from a reader though, mainly for my wife. It could cut down on the complaints about cleaning up the stacks around the house. 

I bought a kindle on amazon due $20. It's great. The only issue is that the screen does not light up on the cheap ones so can't read in the dark. Also, I had to buy a charger. It only comes with the cord

Yes, that stinks. I read several pages of reviews and that is a common complaint. Not a deal breaker by any means, but still not pleasant.

When considering a reader, its important to pay attention to more than just the hardware - the nicest reader in the world is useless if what you want to read can't be found or is not available in the right format.. Some sites (like Barnes and Noble/Books-a-Million) have plenty of titles available for their readers (e.g. Nook), but the shopping experience leaves a lot to be desired, and it's hard to find titles unless they're on a best-seller list of some type.

I own/use the Kindle Paperwhite, and absolutely love it. Amazon carries virtually everything available for e-books, the Kindle store is well-organized and easy to shop, and their prices are typically at or below those of the competition. Amazon also does a great job making recommendations based on what I've purchased or looked at on-line, and I really like that.. If you don't, spend a little extra and buy the model 'without special offers'.....

....I'm betting you'll love using a reader!  I've been a voracious reader all my life, and I rarely pick up a printed book any more.

The availability of books is also a concern for me. As you say, B&N and Books a Million do not make it easy for finding all I'd like.

While B&N does have some cheaper prices on hardcover and paperback editions than Amazon, the selection is very limited in both that and ebooks.

I'm not sure I can adapt to not picking up a printed book JPS. They have been constant companions all my life. I discovered the joys of reading at 8 years old and have been addicted ever since.

My mother always said she couldn't figure where I got it. Very few others in my family were the type to read for pleasure.

Even till she passed, I could see her smiling as I sat and would have several books around me all the time. I think it gave her some small pleasure to watch me. And even while sitting in the chemo treatment room, I remember her asking how I could sit there and do that for 6 to 8 hours a day.

Yes, that stinks. I read several pages of reviews and that is a common complaint. Not a deal breaker by any means, but still not pleasant.

I don't think you'll have the backlight issues on the paperwhite.  It definitely is an issue on my cheap basic model. 

As far as the charger goes .. it comes with a cord you can connect to computer that will charge it.  If you have any of those Apple-branded brick things that come with iPhone/iPod/iPads or any device that plugs a USB cord into a wall outlet (can get this adapter at Wally world for like $10-$15), you can use that and the cord that comes with it as a charger.  Plug the cord into the adapter and boom!, charger made. 

Also, lots of places will run specials on them throughout the holidays.  Amazon usually has a couple of days that its a good deal.  Best Buy the same, just keep your eye out for them.

An added bonus are free kindle books from Amazon. You can get a lot of the classics for free. Sometimes new authors release books for free just to try them out. My wife has the older standard kindle and likes it. I have heard that the back lit readers can be a little hard on the eyes for longer periods of time but the paper white looks like it is the best of both worlds.

Looked at that as well, and the free book downloads are very intriguing.

Not only the free books but I have been reading a bunch of the science fiction collections they have going at the moment. $1 for 12 hours+ of reading can't be beat (Though some of the stories are better written than others, of course).

Buddy, you just banged the gong for me. Although I read just about all genres, SF has been my first, and constant love in my reading life.

And the Baen Books site offers literally tons of free downloads. And as they happen to have some of my current favorite writers...well, I can see me spending a lot of time there.

Correct.

The PaperWhite and other reader-only versions will connect to the internet, but only allow you to manage what is on your device.  You can purchase/download new books, manage what books are on your device at any given time, etc.  

The Fire will act essentially as an iPad and allow you to surf net, online banking, watch Netflix/Hulu, run gaming apps, etc.  A lot stuff (and expense) it doesn't sound like you want.  

Another cool thing about the Kindle's is once you own a book, it links to your Amazon account.  You can then read on your Kindle, or one of many other devices (your computer, an iPad/iPhone app), and it will sync your reading across devices.  So if you're reading on your Kindle, but then the next day want to read from your computer, it keeps track of where you are and when you log into your computer starts you off at the last place you were reading from the Kindle.  

I also find it to be relatively quick and easy to manage your library on the Kindle.  Mostly done through the Amazon website, or the device itself.  I've never had an issue getting non-Amazon books (from other sites mentioned in previous threads) onto my Kindle and reading them.  It's also been relatively easy figuring out how to get e-books from my local library onto the Kindle for my reading enjoyment also.  

All things considered, Amazon has a pretty well thought out e-reader experience in my opinion.  

As you say, all things considered, the Paper White does seem to be a good deal. Looks like the only problem might be what to do after the first 1000 downloaded books.

The cool thing is the way Amazon let's you manage your library. 

Unless you're reading 1000 books at a time, you can keep most of your digital library in the Amazon cloud, and download the few you are reading to your device.  Finished with book? Move it to the cloud, replace with another, but in the cloud, its always available, and always yours.  Keeps clutter on your Kindle down.  I own a few 100 kindle books, but only keep 3-4 actually on the device at a time, knowing that I can always download in an instant should I so choose.

The paperwhite and other kindles with the e-ink do have an experimental browser which will allow you to perform some web activities. It is a bit limited but can be used for some of the things you may want to do. I often use mine to google search or check email and occasionally read web forums.

It is kind-of a complaint. Until you have several devices and the cords and chargers start to multiply out of control and you realize you're paying for all of them. Everything has standardized on micro-usb currently so I use the one cord and charger for charging/controlling about 4 devices. I did buy a splitter off of ebay so I could charge my phone and kindle at the same time (better than two cords and chargers IMO).

Valid point, tnguy. But do I have a charger to fit one?? Maybe.

The cool thing is the way Amazon let's you manage your library. 

Unless you're reading 1000 books at a time, you can keep most of your digital library in the Amazon cloud, and download the few you are reading to your device.  Finished with book? Move it to the cloud, replace with another, but in the cloud, its always available, and always yours.  Keeps clutter on your Kindle down.  I own a few 100 kindle books, but only keep 3-4 actually on the device at a time, knowing that I can always download in an instant should I so choose.

Dang it. You are just about to have me spending money again. I know it supposedly is a gift from my wife, but you know how that works, don't you?

Honey, go get what you want and I'll give it back to you.

I fell for that a few times.

Buddy, you just banged the gong for me. Although I read just about all genres, SF has been my first, and constant love in my reading life.

I suggest starting here

http://www.amazon.com/First-Science-Fiction-Megapack-Classic-ebook/dp/B00C3MPFTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415850610&sr=8-1&keywords=science+fiction+megapack

and here

http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Science-Fiction-Tales-Classics-ebook/dp/B00B2B6PDC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415850726&sr=8-4&keywords=101+weird+science

Valid point, tnguy. But do I have a charger to fit one?? Maybe

You can always charge from the USB port on your computer but the charger part can be had from ebay for $1. I bought a bunch of the car accessory to USB adapters just to have around and I think the mains ones are a similar price (I use an old one from a Samsung I had a long time ago)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-AC-Mini-Wall-Charger-for-iPhone-4s-4-3gs-3-iPod-Assorted-Colors-/161286271629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item258d69328d

Edited by tnguy

Thanks...I think. That may well be my downfall. I lost a lot of those in hardcover and pb editions in the 2010 flooding. This is also one of my reasons for looking at an e-reader. It's about the only way to replace all those great authors and stories from the 50's forward.

The only problem I have with the e-readers are the prices of the books. I buy a lot of my books used, cause I am cheap. Most e-books run $5+, which is twice what I would pay for a used paperback.

Comparing the prices to new books, I suppose it is good.

One of the problems I have is that I looked at using the Kindle to rebuild my Survivalist collection, but most of those run $10+ on the Kindle, where I am buying the original pulp paperbacks at McKay's for less than $2 a book.

I am kinda surprised that no one has mentioned your location library for an e-book source. Here in Knox County our library system has a great selection of e-books (and audiobooks) that are super easy to checkout and download. They may not have the super new releases, but normally they start appearing on there within 2-3 months of coming out. I know if you live outside the big counties in the state that for something like $20 a year you can join the state system and have access to a pretty good selection also.

I am kinda surprised that no one has mentioned your location library for an e-book source. Here in Knox County our library system has a great selection of e-books (and audiobooks) that are super easy to checkout and download. They may not have the super new releases, but normally they start appearing on there within 2-3 months of coming out. I know if you live outside the big counties in the state that for something like $20 a year you can join the state system and have access to a pretty good selection also.

So you have to go there and download it from, like a closed system?  Or can you do it from home?  Sounds interesting.

So you have to go there and download it from, like a closed system?  Or can you do it from home?  Sounds interesting.

Very interesting. I'll have to look into that as well.

My thanks to all. It has been very much informative and fun. I appreciate all the comments and I think I can say that a Kindle Paper White is definitely the way I'll go.  

With the new smart phone I'm trying to learn to use, I don't think a tablet is for me at this time. Most, scratch that, all of my online stuff is still done on the home pc. So the reader is the choice for now. 

I didn't get any commentary on the buying sources. I was a little surprised at that.

Is it because the online sales from Amazon is the best/cheapest source?

I think I managed to find a cheaper deal on Ebay. Base price was the same but there was tax due on the Amazon purchase. If you are happy going used, ebay will be your better bet anyway, probably. Also give Craigslist a quick look.

Edited by tnguy

From home. I haven't stepped into a library in years. Knox County uses the Overdrive system for it. Not sure what the state wide system uses.

I'm not sure I can adapt to not picking up a printed book JPS. They have been constant companions all my life. I discovered the joys of reading at 8 years old and have been addicted ever since.

Me too, book lover since early childhood.. I find though that I now prefer reading on my kindle mostly due to the dictionary/web search feature. Instead of just reading over words I'm not familiar with I now get a definition. I get info on places I'm not familiar with, and I can check historical accuracy of facts, all things I can't do in a print book. I get a lot more involved in my reading.
Dont get me wrong - still love printed books. Kids books, illustrated books, collectible books, field guides, etc all still have space on my bookshelf.

Another quick note for anyone thinking that e-books are not good for the book business: E-books enable authors who previously wouldn't have been able to get their books past gatekeepers at publishing companies to get their books into the hands of readers. Authors, publishers, editors, salespeople, and now even distribution companies all receive their cut for an e-book. The only people losing out are the printing companies, most of which are off-shore facilities.