Good thing S&W has a lifetime warranty!

musicman

'Cuz my Performance Center Trophy Whitetail 629-4 broke its firing pin today! I would post a pic of the broken pin, but now the whole gun is locked up tight.

I was shooting down at Stones River Hunter's Ed Center on Hobson Pike and all was going well. I was into my second box of .44, and after firing the 5th round (I shoot single action) the hammer was hard to pull back, and I had to use both thumbs to crank it down. I just figured a chunk of unburnt powder was bound up in the action, as I was shooting loads with 2400, which was leaving lots of crud everywhere. I pull the trigger for round 6 and ..... nothing.... just a click. I popped open the cylinder and round six's primer was not hit. I thought to myself, maybe I cycled the action twice when it bound up, maybe? So I indexed it so the live round would fall next and closed the cylinder, pulled back the hammer and pulled the trigger..... nothing. I emptied the gun and pulled the hammer back with the cylinder open (held the cylinder latch) lo and behold... broken firing pin!! This gun has the floating firing pin on the hammer. This is my nightstand gun, so I'm glad this happened at the range and not when I needed it for real.

When I got home I took the gun out to look it over again, and noticed the the trigger wasn't coming all the way foward, even with the hammer all the way down. I worked the action a time or two and the gun just locked up. I can't pull the trigger or the hammer! Well, S&W has done well for me in the past and hopefully they'll do the same again. I'll give 'em a buzz on Monday.

Here's a pic of the gun from about a year ago.

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... Well, S&W has done well for me in the past and hopefully they'll do the same again. I'll give 'em a buzz on Monday.

Dang, man...you blow up an evil black rifle and bollix an indestructible big bore handgun.

Anvils ain't safe from you!! :hat:

- OS

Guest Astra900

Did you find the broken pin? I just wonder if it found it's way into the trigger group and that's why she won't budge. If that's NOT why it's locked up, this could be pretty bad. I would advise against mentioning ANYTHING about reloads. I'm not telling you to lie, just don't volunteer that info. They may be less inclined to uphold the warranty if they can pin it on your handloads.

BTW, I AM NOT insinuating your hand loads were the problem AT ALL.:hat:

Guest canynracer

BTW, I AM NOT insinuating your hand loads were the problem AT ALL.:D

I am!!! :hat:

That'll learn ya!!!

just kidding man...that TOTALLY sucks...

Nice gun though!!

Yea, I think the piece of the pin is what's screwing up the works. You can hear a little rattle in there now.

Yea, I know not to mention reloads to Smith. :lol: Hey, I'm not above criticism in my loading. My very first batch had three with no powder in them! That hasn't happened in the thousands of rounds since, and I'm sure that in this case the ammo was not the problem, but I'm not perfect either. Thanks for being nice about it! :leaving:

This is my nightstand gun, so I'm glad this happened at the range and not when I needed it for real.

man, you have a large nightstand for that big of gun!! seriously, i had this happen with a 629 Mountain Gun once, S&W will take care of you and make it right. is possible for the firing pin to break in any gun, not just S&W's. i've wondered if alot of dry firing is what caused mine, did you dry fire yours much?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

As expected, S&W came through with flying colors! I was a lazy turkey and didn't send my gun off 'til about Nov 11th or 12th. (They sent out a call tag ASAP, and I didn't have to pay for any shipping) I called to check on it Monday before Thanksgiving, just to see how long they thought it would be. The guy said they were backed up, and with Thanksgiving and all it may be up to up to 3 more weeks. Well guess what? My gun showed up this Tuesday!

I also told them the gun was going slightly out of time, and they took care of that, too! The repair ticket shows 3 things: replace hammer nose, replace hammer nose rivet, replace hand. Now the gun locks up tight and a good bit before the hammer falls. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but maybe I can use it to join December's shooting contest! I can't imagine that these repairs would have caused any other problems to happen, either.

YAY S&W!!