privacy plants

none

This is my recommendation. Planted 10 feet apart they will make an barrier in no time. Pruned correctly they can make a very tall hedge and narrow or wide as desired

After spending 10 years working in garden centers, growing up with parents and grandparents working in garden centers, and going to college for horticulture, I recommend against Leyland cypress. They grow fast and serve as an evergreen hedge, but they have problems with cankers, bag worms, needle blight, and Phytophthora and Annosus root rots. Emerald Green or Green Giant Arborvitae look very similar and will not have half the troubles. Beware, all of these will get 60' tall and the Leylands will be the ugliest things you have ever seen in about 12 years. The Leyands just get ugly and thin the older they get; it is the nature of the beast. Arborvitae tend to stay full their entire life. I recommend whatever you do plant on triangular centers if the property is deep enough. Twenty-five foot triangular centers will look like 12.5' centers when viewed perpendicularly. If you do not have the room for 25' triangular centers than you don't have the room for Leylands, arborvitae, White pines, or similar. Trust me, I have seen this mistake time and time again. Edited by Patton

After spending 10 years working in garden centers, growing up with parents and grandparents working in garden centers, and going to college for horticulture, I recommend against Leyland cypress. They grow fast and serve as an evergreen hedge, but they have problems with cankers, bag worms, needle blight, and Phytophthora and Annosus root rots. Emerald Green or Green Giant Arborvitae look very similar and will not have half the troubles. Beware, all of these will get 60' tall and the Leylands will be the ugliest things you have ever seen in about 12 years. The Leyands just get ugly and thin the older they get; it is the nature of the beast. Arborvitae tend to stay full their entire life. I recommend whatever you do plant on triangular centers if the property is deep enough. Twenty-five foot centers will look like 12.5' centers when views perpendicularly. If you do not have the room for 25' triangular centers than you don't have the room for Leylands, arborvitae, White pines, or similar. Trust me, I have seen this mistake time and time again.

Good points. I think my in-laws planted theirs too close together and too close to their fence. They have neglected pruning and I can see in a few years they'll be bare underneath and not provide the hedge they wanted. It they'll still have privacy but it will look unsightly.

For the record I'm a forester and not a horticulturists I defer to your expertise.

This is Osage Orange I suggested in an earlier post.

The Osage orange trees, or hedge apples, make a good screen, grow fast, are very disease tolerant, do ok in droughts, but are not evergreen. That is the only thing to know when making a screen out of them. Otherwise, they screen from noise very well 9-10 months a year.

For the record I'm a forester and not a horticulturists I defer to your expertise.

Oh, thank you for your work. I'll confess, there are hundreds planted out there that I at one time recommended. I am sure there are people cursing me today. Another thing that happened with Leyands was over-population; it can happen anytime a species is overplanted or planted too closely. Plant any species too close and you will see how fast they get disease and insects.

To OP, how tall and wide would be too big? Also, what part of the state?

Oh, thank you for your work. I'll confess, there are hundreds planted out there that I at one time recommended. I am sure there are people cursing me today. Another thing that happened with Leyands was over-population; it can happen anytime a species is overplanted or planted too closely. Plant any species too close and you will see how fast they get disease and insects.
To OP, how tall and wide would be too big? Also, what part of the state?

Wilson county really no limit on height and the area could be as wide as 30 feet.