Caliber on or not on barrel

Ok here is the issue. We had a rifle come into the shop that did not have the caliber on it at all. I even removed the stock but could not find anything. I am 99% sure that it was rebarreled at some time and that is why there where no marks at all on the barrel.
My question is
1) is this legal or is it one of those things that was allowed in the past but has been changed in recent times (past 20 to 30 years)
2) is there a way to find the caliber that will satisfy the state of TN when submitting on the TBI web site? And if there is, what tools would I need?

TBI won't check the caliber against priors when/if you later register it (it won't kick back if dealer A had it as 9mm and dealer B has it as 10mm, etc.)  Is the problem you do not know what the caliber is or that you know it's just not on the gun?  Back years ago serial # was the only thing required to be on the receiver .. calibers and models were often on barrels and you hit the nail on the head, people rebarrel and poof .. gone.. But I'm pretty sure TBI just checks serial against the NICS for lost/stolen, etc.. 

I'd list the caliber is was when you received it if there is no other markings and it's known

Edited by LawEnforcementSalesTN

There is no legal requirement to mark the caliber on the firearm. As far as what caliber when calling it in you could probably use the bore diameter.

About the only way to know with 100% certainty what caliber it uses is to do a chamber cast. There are a couple of ways to do it. First is to use cerrosafe and the other is to pressure cast using lead.

I am sure you are aware of the cerrosafe method so I will not go into detail about it.

For pressure casting find a cartridge case that has the same case head as the firearm. As far as selecting the case head most guns, at least common calibers, probably use one of probably 5-6 case heads. Most calibers use common case head or rim diameters. Drop some lead bullets, just the lead, into the chamber to fill it up then close the action with the case head in place. Then take a rod and slowly beat the lead down so it slowly fills up the chamber. You will have to add more from the muzzle end as you go until you fill up the chamber with lead. You can cut open a shotgun shell and use the shot from it to slowly fill the chamber up. Once you have measured and you are sure the lead is at least into the throat then open the action and use the rod to knock the casting out. You can tell when you have the chamber filled because it will go from a dull thud to a more solid sound when hitting the rod. The rod should be as close to the bore diameter as possible.

It was a Ruger m77 with nothing on it about caliber. I think it was in .264 Remington but I thought that was just a .264 win mag. I have not heard of a Remington Cartridge like this before.
And on the sizing is there a better way to check the bore diameter then by just using calipers? Is there a simple gun smith tool that might work or do I just make sure I measure from the tops of the lands and not in the groves?

I would just use some Cerrosafe and cast the chamber and throat.  That will tell you what you need to know.  Assuming you recognize the cartridge.  

Calipers may get you close on the bore diameter if it has an even number of grooves and if you measure in the grooves.  Still won't tell you what round it shoots.

• Like 3
I am not sure. We passed on it as I had no way to know if it really was what he said it was and there is no way for a business to take a risk on something like this with out knowing what it is. So how hard is it to slug the barrel and how long does it take

The big question about TIC was answered so thank you. Just trying to know more so I can find a solution or explain it to the customers

I am not sure. We passed on it as I had no way to know if it really was what he said it was and there is no way for a business to take a risk on something like this with out knowing what it is. So how hard is it to slug the barrel and how long does it take

The big question about TIC was answered so thank you. Just trying to know more so I can find a solution or explain it to the customers

Take a fish sinker, lead ball, or whatever you can get your hands on that is slightly larger than the bore. Lube it. Shove it down the bore with a cleaning rod. Measure it.

I figure the lead sinkers that go in front of plastic worms would work well enough.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Take a fish sinker, lead ball, or whatever you can get your hands on that is slightly larger than the bore. Lube it. Shove it down the bore with a cleaning rod. Measure it.

I figure the lead sinkers that go in front of plastic worms would work well enough.

This.  Be sure to use pure lead.

This.  Be sure to use pure lead.

Yes, because they are using all kinds of other metals now that lead is getting expensive.

Another option might be to call Ruger. Who knows maybe it was a custom order and they did not put the caliber on it or maybe it was a production gun that slipped by. Although I seriously doubt either option actually happened but you never know.

Yes, because they are using all kinds of other metals now that lead is getting expensive.

Another option might be to call Ruger. Who knows maybe it was a custom order and they did not put the caliber on it or maybe it was a production gun that slipped by. Although I seriously doubt either option actually happened but you never know.

I'd be tempted to see if they'd let you send it in. I bet they'd either re barrel it, figure out what it is, or replace it before letting it leave without an answer.

I'm surprised the former owner wasn't able to give some insight even if only a box of ammo or something.