Stuck case on first reloading session!!

Haha it's not as bad as it sounds but last night I FINALLY received all of my reloading equipment. I was using an RCBS lube pad to roll my .223 brass before re sizing and depriming. I had one particular piece of brass that seemed to be a little tough going in. In hindsight I believe it was the crimped primer being a little stubborn coming out. My curiosity got me though and I just ran it back up in the die a few times and of course it got stuck. Maybe I scraped whatever lube was on it off the first time??

Lee makes it easy though. I just took the top decapper holder off and tapped it out. I found out that the rolling pad is very inefficient so I may have to look into some one shot and a plastic bag or something more efficient.

I also forgot to lube the inside of the case neck so that may have attributed to it being a little rough. I didn't mess with actually loading as I have more reading to do. Safety first!

I've been reloading for years and I don't ever remember lubing the inside of the case neck. I have polished the expander/decapper 

to make it much smoother going in to expand the neck.  If you lube the inside of the neck the powder will get glued to the inside of

the neck as you try and drop it into the case and you may have a mess.

If you just gotta lube the inside of the neck you may have to put the tumbler to clean off the lube. Way to much work for a simple operation.

I doubt that you scraped the lube off. Neck lube wasn't it either.Who knows. I've never stuck one using rcbs lube.

Is the RCBS lube extremely hard to squeeze out of the little bottle? I am contemplating cutting the tip off of the bottle I have as I can barely squeeze it out. I mainly have the lee lube that came with the press on the pad and it's more of a paste.

Is the RCBS lube extremely hard to squeeze out of the little bottle? I am contemplating cutting the tip off of the bottle I have as I can barely squeeze it out. I mainly have the lee lube that came with the press on the pad and it's more of a paste.

Yes, extremely hard. I use the Lee lube for necks, and the rcbs lube on the pad. It doesn't take a bunch.

I use this, just a very small dab sprayed on finger, then wiped on the case.

I keep a cotton rag in my lap & wipe after sizing. Fairly neat & tidy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/204960/frankford-arsenal-case-lube-8-oz-pump

I bought two bottles about 7 years ago, and half way through the first.

Dolomite has a homebrew version of this as I recall, from lanolin & alcohol.

B.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm thinking the pad will be fine for lower volume stuff but i'd rather have something a little faster. Some kind of spray. The imperial stuff would work too though because I still have to touch each case individually.

So is pulling the trigger on that first ever reload equivalent to your first Wally Walk?  :pleased:

So is pulling the trigger on that first ever reload equivalent to your first Wally Walk?  :pleased:

Are you kidding? My butt was puckered first few rounds of every new batch. It took me several trips to the range to relax and enjoy shooting up my kids' college funds.

Since you have the Lee lube try putting a small amount of the lube on your finger and hold the case by the neck and rotate it around your finger with the small amount of excess lube.  This is the method I use.  It may be slower than using the pad but I have never stuck a case with the Lee Lube.  I use a RCBS case neck brush and just run it down into the neck to clean the powder and grit before sizing.  After sizing I run the cases thru a vibratory case cleaner with walnut hulls with a small amount of NU Finish polish. 

Yeah I'm thinking the pad will be fine for lower volume stuff but i'd rather have something a little faster. Some kind of spray. The imperial stuff would work too though because I still have to touch each case individually.

Are you kidding? My butt was puckered first few rounds of every new batch. It took me several trips to the range to relax and enjoy shooting up my kids' college funds.

Hardly.  Wally Walks usually do not maim and disfigure.

You ought to try pulling the trigger on a new load in a brand new gun.  That you built.  Even worse, experience a hang fire when you do.  It sucks, and it puckers the butt big time.

• Like 3

I guess I could start with bunny fart loads in my .38........ :pleased:

Actually,

(and seriously)...I would suggest mid-range, normal, everyday loads to start on.  Keep it simple and reliable. (low power loads would carry some risk of not exiting the bbl if screwed up)

BTW, I started out lubing the inner neck.  I was also using Mobil One at the advice of "experts". 

During the learning mode, I was simply not able to not kill a primer with contamination. So.. I don't do those things now or anything else exotic..  Usually follow the book nowadays.

It was a real PITA cleaning up the mess (and post-fire screw-ups) otherwise.  But, I still learn a lesson from time to time.  Most recently was "I need another small-base die" for new chambers.

Edited by R_Bert

Actually,

(and seriously)...I would suggest mid-range, normal, everyday loads to start on.  Keep it simple and reliable. (low power loads would carry some risk of not exiting the bbl if screwed up)

BTW, I started out lubing the inner neck.  I was also using Mobil One at the advice of "experts". 

During the learning mode, I was simply not able to not kill a primer with contamination. So.. I don't do those things now or anything else exotic..  Usually follow the book nowadays.

It was a real PITA cleaning up the mess (and post-fire screw-ups) otherwise.  But, I still learn a lesson from time to time.  Most recently was "I need another small-base die" for new chambers.

Yeah I'm sure I'll learn alot along the way too. I'm mainly playing around with the brass now and getting it all prepped and ready to load. I may try to load and shoot a few tomorrow.

Yeah I'm sure I'll learn alot along the way too. I'm mainly playing around with the brass now and getting it all prepped and ready to load. I may try to load and shoot a few tomorrow.

I said "learning mode"..... but I should have used "startup".  I will have to say, I get a lot of satisfaction from hearing one of my rounds go "bang", and when they go where I intend.  I am sure you will also.  Have fun !!