question about shipping

john455

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

According to FedEx and UPS: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html, http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html only licensed people may ship even though it is not totally consistent with ATF rules. I would call the center and or write corporate and send a link to the ATF site to see if they can/will change their policy. 

Long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc...) can be shipped person to person within TN. You may ship a handgun yourself through FedEx or UPS, but handguns must be shipped to an FFL ONLY, not to a residence, whether within the same state or not. They're a lot more strict with handguns than long guns.

Also make sure that the shipping company knows it's a firearm & requires the buyer to sign for it. I ordered a handgun from a guy in Colorado a couple years ago & he decided to save a few dollars on shipping & sent it by regular ground FedEx instead of overnight like he should have. The FFL I used works a regular job out of town some days & was gone when the handgun arrived. Since the seller cut corners & sent it by regular ground, FedEx delivered it to the wrong house down the street from my FFL & actually left it leaning against the front door so my handgun sat on someone's front porch facing a busy street for nearly 10 hours before my FFL got back in town. By chance my FFL spotted the FedEx box on the guys front porch on his way home & picked it up. If they had required a signature & ID that wouldn't have happened. I was lucky it wasn't stolen.

Edited by luvmyberetta

Long guns (rifles, shotguns, etc...) can be shipped person to person within TN. You may ship a handgun yourself through FedEx or UPS, but handguns must be shipped to an FFL ONLY, not to a residence, whether within the same state or not. They're a lot more strict with handguns than long guns.

The way I read the FAQ, that's correct for the USPS (FAQ#7), but not for carriers like FedEx and UPS. I read it to say that you can legally ship handguns intrastate amongst non-licensees via contract carrier (FAQ#8). However, I believe that it's FedEx or UPS policy not to ship handguns (or maybe any firearms) to non-licensees. Did I misread #7 and #8?

https://www.atf.gov/...irearms-carrier

Ok, Jonathon and I both read this to mean as long as we both live in TN I can ship my pistol to him thru Fed EX to have it coated but when I took it to Fed Ex they told me I could only ship it to a FFL holder, so my question is did we both read it wrong or is the guy at Fed EX wrong?

You're both right.

- Federal law allows intrastate shipping of firearms between non-licensees. Also, allows you to ship firearms to yourself in any state,  care of someone else. 

- However, FedEx,  and now UPS as of about 9 months ago, will not ship firearms between two non-licensees.

Since you cannot send a handgun via USPS, this means there is no longer a way to ship a handgun between two non-licensees period, and obey both Federal law and the Terms of Service of the carrier.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot