For the photographers in here.

Photoguy67

I am an old film shooter. I have mostly shot my Nikon N90s, Mamiya RB-67 and my 4x5 view camera. Well I have not really shot much in the last couple years, mostly financial reasons and its getting too hard to find good film and processing anymore. So my question to the group is, I have decided to switch to digital and while I understand the mechanical part of the camera, I shoot mostly in manual, I don't know squat about the digital part of it so what camera should I be looking at? I would really like to stay with Nikon as I am comfortable with it, but would switch for a really good reason. I have been looking at the D7100 really hard but when they start talking about sensors and that part I am just lost. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Staying with Nikon is a good idea because likely most of your lenses will still be usable on digital bodies. (Same reason I stayed with Canon when I switched from film to digital in 2006.) I am not familiar with all the Nikon models; my advice would be to go to a camera store and look at several bodies to see what you think about the size, handling, etc. If you are going to make poster-size prints you will need a higher megapixel sensor than you'll need if you aren't printing above 11x14. The camera store can give you some advice on this; like I said, I'm not up to date on Nikon models since I am still a Canon shooter.

HTH,
Whisper Edited by Whisper
There are full-frame sensors and crop sensors. There are a few differences, but the larger full-frame sensors will allow you to create larger prints. Cameras with full-frame sensors are quite pricey, as they are geared more towards professionals.

I recently decided to get a bit more serious about photography. After a ton of research, I decided to go with the mirrorless Sony A6000. It has a crop sensor. Lenses aren't cheap, and while they make adapters that allow you to use one brand of lens on cameras of a different brand, it would be a good idea to consider this before buying a newer camera. Most of the cheaper adapters don't allow you to utilize auto focus and other features, but if you plan on shooting mostly in manual mode, that won't be much of an issue. Edited by TripleDigitRide

I'm not sure the lenses will work. The pro-consumer cameras like the D7100 are not full size sensor cameras. Meaning the sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame. Plus the new lenses would have benefits such as motion stability and are designed to work with the digital bodies. I know there is a way to make older lenses work with some of the Canon digital bodies as I have a friend who did this, but I'm not sure what's necessary on Nikons.

The biggest difference you'll notice is that it's hard to get a truly wide angle lens like you may be accustomed to on a film camera. Most of the consurmer slr you'll need to multiply the focal length by 1.6 to get the comparable 35mm. I miss that the most when moving to digital. I moved to all Nikon when switching to digital and it's worked out nicely. You'll find with the automatic focus etc. that you'll get to spend more time on composition. I also somewhat miss the depth of field usage that film cameras offered. Digital is a bit harder since most lenses are 3.5 and larger. I do have a 1.4 lens for my Nikon digital, but have actually used it very little. It's a straight 50mm, or 75mm equivalent in 35mm cameras. When you get used to the zooms they really are hard to put down.

The kit lenses are not all that good. You might consider buying a body and choose one of their higher grade lenses separately.

Edited by seez52
  • Like 1

Nikon D3100 ta see if ya like digital (...i predict ya will...)... It will have the same look, feel, and controls as a film 35... (...we're old F3HP shooters...)....We bought one used with a kit lens at Adorama for $349.00 refurbished... Same warranty as a new camera... Crop sensor, 24 megapixl... Shoots great nite shots and out of this world daylight shots... 

Check this out:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/14838805233/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/14632334718/in/photostream/

Here's a day shot with my beloved D80, that is now an "antique"... Ya can buy them a KEH camera for near nothin...

Hope this helps...

leroy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/16171697008/in/photostream/

Nikon D3100 ta see if ya like digital (...i predict ya will...)... It will have the same look, feel, and controls as a film 35... (...we're old F3HP shooters...)....We bought one used with a kit lens at Adorama for $349.00 refurbished... Same warranty as a new camera... Crop sensor, 24 megapixl... Shoots great nite shots and out of this world daylight shots... 

Check this out:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/14838805233/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/14632334718/in/photostream/

Here's a day shot with my beloved D80, that is now an "antique"... Ya can buy them a KEH camera for near nothin...

Hope this helps...

leroy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125458538@N04/16171697008/in/photostream/

I'm still using my D80, it's been a great camera. It's a bit on the heavy side, but helps to keep me from shaking!!

this is from a trip out to Utah

river.JPG

• Like 2

Tripledigitride, Can you give some information about the Hendersonville camera club? I live in Hendersonville and haven't heard of them.

It's been a great group for a newb like myself. $25/year. Monthly meetings are held at the Hendersonville Public Library on the 2nd Thursday of each month. You are welcome to attend as a guest.

http://hendersonvillecameraclub.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/144835535679/?fref=ts

If you decide to visit/join, tell them Paul Gilpin sent you.
  • Like 1

Seez... Great picture.... I love my old D80 too...  The biggest advance i can see in the "newer generation' digitals is the low light performance... Outside, in the bright sun, the ole D80 cant be beat....

leroy

PS--- I like the "prime" lenses too... A hold over from the film camera days... Primes are sharper, no matter what ya give for a zoom...

I zoom with my feet and crop as needed...

I'm still using my D80, it's been a great camera. It's a bit on the heavy side, but helps to keep me from shaking!!

this is from a trip out to Utah

river.JPG

The Nikon D7100 is the top of the line for crop sensor cameras. I have one. But ..... you need AF-S lens. I have some old lenses that I used years ago and they are not good for the new cameras. therefore take your lenses to a camera shop and have them review what would be usable with the newer cameras. The full frame cameras like the D810 are good, but are expensive. Also before long you will want to become a photoshop user.  I use one memory card for a JPG and the other for a RAW copy of the photos that I take. I miss the old days when I spent most of my time with manual adjustments and the film type selections.

Here's an article on what to expect when you use DX lenses on an FX camera

And here's a good example of what will happen with the crop factor when using FX lenses on a DX body.

If you're curious about lens compatibility with a newer Nikon body - it's not hard to find what will work. Here's the breakdown for a D7100 Almost every other current body has a similar breakdown on Nikon's website.

As far as moving to digital goes, I would have gone with an FX body if I could afford it and the newer lenses. As an amateur with other expensive hobbies (guns/home ownership), I could not justify the costs. So, I use my old lenses and adjust my setup for the focal length and depth of field changes, as well as the crop factor issues that occur. I've also spent some money on some very handy DX lenses.

Good luck making your switch. I did, and am enjoying it. Just make sure the new body has an AF motor built in if you want to use your older screw drive AF lenses.