Wife's trying to decide between Springfield EMP or Para PDA....

Guest HexHead

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I have not handled or shot either, but a common theme for Paras that I have seen is that they are not the greatest quality. On the other hand, I've heard nothing but praise about the EMP.

I will comment on my emp.

I got it brand spanking new. it's tolerances are much tighter than what I was used to, so I will say that it will take about 800 to 1000 rounds to really break it in. Mine had a little bit of a troubled childhood..when I began shooting it, I found that they hadn't cleaned the firing pin hole out on the slide/bolt face after they milled it, so it pushed out a really small rim of metal around the firing pin hole that kept hanging up the rounds. once I inspected it, and removed the rim with a small needle file, it fired flawlessly with anything I put in it.

its very light, comfortable and easy to shoot. the sights on it are simply amazing and light up beautifully at night as well... I can't think of any other weapon that I'd want. my tried and true browning mkIII went into the gunsafe when I got my emp.

If you're looking for accuracy and reliability as well as beauty, this would be the pistol to get.

I've seen the paras...I originally wanted one (as well as the EMP of course) but now that I've seen some examples of them through research, I've noticed that their bluing really leaves something to be desired. this coupled with the troubles I've seen reported lead me to believe that I don't want any part of this pistol at the price they're offering...even second hand.

spend the extra money for the EMP, you won't be disappointed. I promise.

Guest HexHead

Well, I bought the EMP. When we looked at it yesterday, we didn't notice the tag was checked as a "used" pistol. That didn't bother my wife so I went ahead and made the deal.

I immediately took it to shoot it and the good news is that it's such a oleasure to shoot. Not nearly as much recoil as I was expecting (like my S&W 442 revolver), so I'm sure my wife will enjoy shooting it like she does the BHP she's been using. I was really impressed with it's accuracy at the 15' I was trying it out at too.

Now for the bad news. I had multiple failures of the slide locking back after the last shot. One magazine failed almost every time. The second one was intermittent and the 3rd one was mostly reliable, if you consider mostly an attribute. It did this with both American Eagle and Hornady TAP ammo. I took it back to the sales counter and one of the guys test fired it as well and had mostly the same issues. They are going to have their gunsmith look it over before deciding if it needs to go back home to Springfield or not.

Just a bummer to lay out that kind of coin and just have a shot up target to show my wife instead of her new pistol.

Guest Boomhower
Now for the bad news. I had multiple failures of the slide locking back after the last shot. One magazine failed almost every time. The second one was intermittent and the 3rd one was mostly reliable, if you consider mostly an attribute. It did this with both American Eagle and Hornady TAP ammo. I took it back to the sales counter and one of the guys test fired it as well and had mostly the same issues. They are going to have their gunsmith look it over before deciding if it needs to go back home to Springfield or not.

Just a bummer to lay out that kind of coin and just have a shot up target to show my wife instead of her new pistol.

Nothing new from the EMP. Just give it time and it will work itself out. Like Tower was saying, the EMP is built with tighter tolerances. It was designed from the 9mm shell up. Not the ususal .45 shell down size. So the EMP will take a bit of loosening up. I was about to choke when I first bought mine and it had the same issues that you are talking about, but like Tower also said, it has fastly become my CW of choice once you get it broke in.

Well, I bought the EMP. When we looked at it yesterday, we didn't notice the tag was checked as a "used" pistol. That didn't bother my wife so I went ahead and made the deal.

I immediately took it to shoot it and the good news is that it's such a oleasure to shoot. Not nearly as much recoil as I was expecting (like my S&W 442 revolver), so I'm sure my wife will enjoy shooting it like she does the BHP she's been using. I was really impressed with it's accuracy at the 15' I was trying it out at too.

the good news is that meg cair magazines are easily found and you can replace them quickly.

I'm willing to bet that it is going to be the mags since most people rarely carry all 3 magazines and the other 2 tend to get beat up pretty badly..which is retarded, since the emp comes new with a mag pouch.

I'm also willing to bet that the pistol hasn't been broken in yet..and someone got rid of it because it, like mine, it will have a bit of a troubled childhood.:rofl:

Guest eyebedam

I've had the same failures to lock back with mine but it gets better and better the more rounds fired through it. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours?

Guest waffenldr

I own 6 paras never had a problem with any of them. Most people limp wrist them that is why they have problems. Wife has a wart hog. she loves it. The only .45 she will shoot.

I've had the same failures to lock back with mine but it gets better and better the more rounds fired through it. If you don't mind me asking where did you get yours?

My wife bought it for me brand new in the box from Gunslingers, in Kingsport Tn. My home of record.

if you buy it new, or almost new and don't take the time to break it in, I can see how it will make you think its' a POS. hang with it, keep shooting it and eventually it will show you where it's wearing in and like you said "every shot gets better". I ran close to 1000 rounds through mine before it was broke in. Since that time, it's fired anything and everything I've fed it. it's never failed to feed, fire or eject a working bullet.

Like I said. it's built to much tighter tolerances than a regular 1911, so it's going to take more rounds to break it in. during that time, use lots of lubrication and drive it like you stole it. I'm pretty sure that it's a pistol that will last you a long...long time.

Guest rufusgooch

Some people may wonder why I come to this forum; I'm from bristol and will soon finish my cabin in Baxter; an retire. I let my wife spend 2500 for a stove(she uses it every day). She carries a Bersa 380 CC. ($285) She love my Beretta 9000($395) and my Beretta Px4 compact ($425). My wife carries 24/7. The emp and the para are each to long grip to carry. So this must be a range gun. You have the money buy it. For carry get something smaller.

Guest eyebedam
Some people may wonder why I come to this forum; I'm from bristol and will soon finish my cabin in Baxter; an retire. I let my wife spend 2500 for a stove(she uses it every day). She carries a Bersa 380 CC. ($285) She love my Beretta 9000($395) and my Beretta Px4 compact ($425). My wife carries 24/7. The emp and the para are each to long grip to carry. So this must be a range gun. You have the money buy it. For carry get something smaller.

Have you held a EMP? I guarantee its easier to conceal that your Berettas.