Folliculitis.

That's an infection of the hair follicles and causes a big rash like an allergy. Anyone ever had that? I've got a rash from my calves over my knees up on my thighs, lower to middle back, lower belly, and from my lower arms past my elbows up on my upper arms. It's really a pain in the everywhere, well not really a pain but itchy as hell. I had it for a week, it started slowly and got worse over the days. I finally went to the doc and she perscribed Doxycycline and i've been showering with anti-bacterial soap twice a day. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this and have any suggestions for the d#mn itching. Cortizone ointment or Benadryl ointment doesn't do much or last long and it a huge area.

Thanks.

Jon.

Sounds like you are already doing all the right things.  Sadly it will just take some time to get better.

Well i'm hopeing i'm doing the right thing, at least it's no allergy to anything. Last week I worked for a few hours cleaning ice off a porch roof that started leaking, I got pretty wet and sweaty and didn't dry off for a while. That's probably what set it off.

Have you tried any Zyrtec or other OTC allergy medicine. I'm surprised she didn't prescribe some type of steroid. I would at least swing by a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some suggestions.

Have you tried any Zyrtec or other OTC allergy medicine. I'm surprised she didn't prescribe some type of steroid. I would at least swing by a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some suggestions.

I was taking Claritan at first but it didn't do much, the doc said since it wasn't an allergy an anti-histimine wont help to get rid of it. I wanted a cortisone shot but she wouldn't give me one and the cortizone cream works a little but not long. Last night I tried some Solarcain spray, it has lidocain in it and it worked the best so far for the itching.

Hot tubs that go without enough sanitizer can cause it too.

That's what kind of infection it is but I don't do hot tubs, i,m sure it was sweating and wearing wet pants for several hours while clearing ice off the roof, had an ice dam and the porch doesn't have much of a slope so it was leaking pretty bad.

I would consider a fungal infection as a possible diagnosis as well.  If it does not get better soon with the antibiotics, an antifungal may be in order. You could try some topical stuff like Lotrimin to see if that would help.  If there is an infective process, you would rather avoid steroids.  It might help the symptoms, but it would hinder your ability to clear infection.

• Like 1

I would consider a fungal infection as a possible diagnosis as well.  If it does not get better soon with the antibiotics, an antifungal may be in order. You could try some topical stuff like Lotrimin to see if that would help.  If there is an infective process, you would rather avoid steroids.  It might help the symptoms, but it would hinder your ability to clear infection.

I did some online research and it said that about steroids, the lidocain spray shouldn't hurt I hope, just to relieve itching. I'll go to my regular doctor if it doesn't improve by Wednesday, hopefully she will send me to the dermatologist. I wouldn't go to the doctor if this rash wasn't over 60% of my body.

Well my mom says you need to soak in Epsom Salts bath. She is 85 and everything can be cured by soaking in Epsom Salts. My dad had a small case of what you have according to his dermatologist. He prescribed an anti bacterial cream and anti fungal cream. One in am and the other in the pm. He also had him wash with Head and Shoulders shampoo. It cleared him up but it took several weeks.
  • Like 1

Not a human doctor, but folliculitis is a common symptom in dogs with allergies.  Normally, dogs are treated with something like cephalexin and a medicated shampoo.  Generally speaking, the itching decreases as you kill off the bacteria.  In dogs, however, the skin only gets 3% of the blood flow, so we have to use relatively high doses of antibiotics over a long period of time (2-6 weeks).  Usually, the medicated shampoo that I use is a combination antibacterial + antifungal because fungus is one of the main rule outs for the same set of symptoms.

I have rarely used doxycycline for a skin infection in dogs, but I suppose the types of bacteria common in humans could be different.  Doxycycline does have an anti-inflammatory effect independent of the antimicrobial effect, so you've got that going for you.

In dogs, we often use prednisone at the same time.  Conventional wisdom is to not use corticosteroids in the face of infection because of the potential suppression of the immune system, but we do not seem to have a problem.  However, humans appears to be very different in regards to steroids compared to dogs.  My son was prescribed prednisolone for asthma, and I couldn't believe the dose based on the doses I use for dogs, but apparently it was correct.  When I was young, and sometimes with my son, we were both prescribed antibiotics and prednisolone for bronchitis, so I know there are situations where physicians use them together.  I would call Monday and see what the doctor says; they may have been waiting to see if the doxycycline worked well enough before using steroids.

• Like 1

Well my mom says you need to soak in Epsom Salts bath. She is 85 and everything can be cured by soaking in Epsom Salts. My dad had a small case of what you have according to his dermatologist. He prescribed an anti bacterial cream and anti fungal cream. One in am and the other in the pm. He also had him wash with Head and Shoulders shampoo. It cleared him up but it took several weeks.

Several weeks? Yikes. Well i'm going to wait till Tuesday, if there's no improvment then i'll call my doctor and demand a dermatologist.

Not a human doctor, but folliculitis is a common symptom in dogs with allergies.  Normally, dogs are treated with something like cephalexin and a medicated shampoo.  Generally speaking, the itching decreases as you kill off the bacteria.  In dogs, however, the skin only gets 3% of the blood flow, so we have to use relatively high doses of antibiotics over a long period of time (2-6 weeks).  Usually, the medicated shampoo that I use is a combination antibacterial + antifungal because fungus is one of the main rule outs for the same set of symptoms.

I have rarely used doxycycline for a skin infection in dogs, but I suppose the types of bacteria common in humans could be different.  Doxycycline does have an anti-inflammatory effect independent of the antimicrobial effect, so you've got that going for you.

In dogs, we often use prednisone at the same time.  Conventional wisdom is to not use corticosteroids in the face of infection because of the potential suppression of the immune system, but we do not seem to have a problem.  However, humans appears to be very different in regards to steroids compared to dogs.  My son was prescribed prednisolone for asthma, and I couldn't believe the dose based on the doses I use for dogs, but apparently it was correct.  When I was young, and sometimes with my son, we were both prescribed antibiotics and prednisolone for bronchitis, so I know there are situations where physicians use them together.  I would call Monday and see what the doctor says; they may have been waiting to see if the doxycycline worked well enough before using steroids.

Well I do have a history of athletes feet, don't know if a fungus could be related. Doxycycline is an anti-biotic i've never had before, I have had Duracef when I had a deep infection in my hip after surgery, IV and pills in 86, I thought that was the type they use for skin infections also. I think they are called Ceflasporin anti-biotics.

Edited by K191145

Not a human doctor, but folliculitis is a common symptom in dogs with allergies. Normally, dogs are treated with something like cephalexin and a medicated shampoo. Generally speaking, the itching decreases as you kill off the bacteria. In dogs, however, the skin only gets 3% of the blood flow, so we have to use relatively high doses of antibiotics over a long period of time (2-6 weeks). Usually, the medicated shampoo that I use is a combination antibacterial + antifungal because fungus is one of the main rule outs for the same set of symptoms.

I have rarely used doxycycline for a skin infection in dogs, but I suppose the types of bacteria common in humans could be different. Doxycycline does have an anti-inflammatory effect independent of the antimicrobial effect, so you've got that going for you.

In dogs, we often use prednisone at the same time. Conventional wisdom is to not use corticosteroids in the face of infection because of the potential suppression of the immune system, but we do not seem to have a problem. However, humans appears to be very different in regards to steroids compared to dogs. My son was prescribed prednisolone for asthma, and I couldn't believe the dose based on the doses I use for dogs, but apparently it was correct. When I was young, and sometimes with my son, we were both prescribed antibiotics and prednisolone for bronchitis, so I know there are situations where physicians use them together. I would call Monday and see what the doctor says; they may have been waiting to see if the doxycycline worked well enough before using steroids.

I am super sorry to ask this but you're talking about something that has been plaguing our pup. Floyd is a Rottie/Pit/English Bulldog mix. He's had this weird rash that comes and goes on his back thighs. It's red and puffy. We've been told everything from bacteria infection/yeast infection and allergy. It just started in December. He's been on prednisone, cephlexian, Ketoconozole and nothing has touched it. I bathe him 2 times a week with Malasab shampoo and wipe it 2 times a day with Chlorhexidine to keep it clean. That's what seems to work best. No one can seem to figure out exactly what it is, I have taken him to 3 different vets. Do you specialize in this?? I've noticed it seems to mystify the docs who have seen him. If you know of anything we can do, or a good Doc you trust in the Plateau area or if you're in Nashville and you think you can help, I'd be happy to make an appointment. If it seems like something you might be able to help with just PM me. I'd appreciate any advise, tips or where to make an appointment if I can help the stinker.

Duracef is a cephalasporin, which includes cephalexin and related drugs.  Cephalsporins in generally are good for skin bacteria (at least they are in dogs); I've always assumed they would be used in humans, but I have never had a doctor prescribe them to me.  

Also, PM sent to MrsMonkeyMan2500.

• Like 1