Anyland surveyors on here?

Ron45

I am getting ready to build a garage. My neighbor and I are a little confused about the property line. He has a drawing of the land that was done by a surveyor, but we are not sure about the markers he used for the property lines. Just trying to keep from making a very expensive mistake. Any help would be appreciated. Just thought I would check here first so that I could pay another member instead of a possible anti-gun person. I am outside of Celina and only about 5 miles from Dale Hollow Dam. Thanks in advance for any help.

Doubt you'll find an anti-gun surveyor up yonder. Lmao!
I've done surveying off and on for nearly 15 years. Should be some iron rods or pipes on the corner. Then again it could be a PK, a Mag nail, a monument, a significant tree, a pile of rocks, an x etched on a rock, a buried axle, a gun barrel, etc. seen all of these things. if you need help figuring out "what" his drawing is noting and what you should be looking for i may be able to help.

Before I called anyone, if I had no pin finder, or metal detector, I'd lightly dig around what looks like the ought to be the corner (like a fence corner, tree line etc) and might get lucky and find them and save the money. Edited by JWC

I have a metal detector and have been unable to find the metal posts that were supposedly set to mark the corners. One corner in question was a post marked as P.O.B. wood post. Do you have any idea what that means? Would it be ok if I scanned the survey and sent you a copy for a little guidance? Just trying to make sure my plan doesn't put my garage on the neighbors property.

I have the ability to do this for you, but not the stamp to make it official.

Land surveying is quite the racket.

Since I'm between projects and temporarily back running the gun, I take offense. Spring and summer are coming and when it gets hot and thick it ain't much of a racket. Everbody thinks every day is 70 degrees and beautiful, open, green pasture. Everyone has to get paid haha
  • Like 2

Since I'm between projects and temporarily back running the gun, I take offense. Spring and summer are coming and when it gets hot and thick it ain't much of a racket. Everbody thinks every day is 70 degrees and beautiful, open, green pasture. Everyone has to get paid haha

I can't speak for all surveys, or surveyors but I had a hard time finding one to just place markers from one pin to the other so I can run a barbed wire fence.  The ones I called wanted to charge me pretty much the same as doing an entire new survey citing the need to go to a known point (POB I guess) even though the pins are there.  I explained that I did not want nothing "legal" just needed something me and the neighbor could feel was fair for both.  Ended up placing an elevated line with a plum bob siting above each pin then cutting trees wherever the line touched one, then using the plumb bob to put flags down where the fence posts were later placed.  Turned out ok but would of rather not had to cut so many trees.

What if they had staked it and your neighbor didn't think it was fair then got another surveyor to restake it and what he did was 20' over on you? In a bad situation a simple job could snowball easily. Or the previous boundary was wrong. It happens. Some things just gotta be right when someone puts their name on it. But like a lot of things it goes back to our litigious society I guess

Heck we used to do side work at the company I used to work for. The RLS charged us $250 straight off too to just stamp something. That was with all the field work and office work fully done by the same guys he had working every day, so he knew it was right. All he had to do was stamp and sign. $250 flat rate whether we made $50 profit or $1000

What if they had staked it and your neighbor didn't think it was fair then got another surveyor to restake it and what he did was 20' over on you? In a bad situation a simple job could snowball easily. Or the previous boundary was wrong. It happens. Some things just gotta be right when someone puts their name on it. But like a lot of things it goes back to our litigious society I guess

Heck we used to do side work at the company I used to work for. The RLS charged us $250 straight off too to just stamp something. That was with all the field work and office work fully done by the same guys he had working every day, so he knew it was right. All he had to do was stamp and sign. $250 flat rate whether we made $50 profit or $1000

No, we are both comfortable with the corners since they have been surveyed twice.  It would of been real easy to see if the line were to deviate very far in either direction (bowed) as was demonstrated once I put the fence up and could see the straight line which I confirmed with poles on the high spots and a laser and compass (azimuth/back azimuth).  The hard part was just getting a pole on the high spots since the corners are over/under the line of sight.  Once I put fence poles up and put survey tape on each it made a nice straight line, not survey quality but we are both comfortable with it.  We both agreed that if one or the other ever wanted to, we could get an actual survey done and the fence would move accordingly. 

I understand the legal aspect, and would not of needed a legal document.  Just someone with an instrument to shoot from one corner to another corner that is not visible and mark the high spots.  With both of us present we would of readily been able to see how well the job was done and since we are both too cheap to do a survey, we would of been too cheap to hire a lawyer anyway :)

I live in Pickett county and you should see the description. From the hickory tree 40' N.E. to the rock. It is like reading a comical story.

I once saw a farm plat where the length from one marker to the next was walking at a brisk pace for a length of time enough to smoke two cigarettes. Now that's precision!

• Like 2

Doubt you'll find an anti-gun surveyor up yonder. Lmao!
I've done surveying off and on for nearly 15 years. Should be some iron rods or pipes on the corner. Then again it could be a PK, a Mag nail, a monument, a significant tree, a pile of rocks, an x etched on a rock, a buried axle, a gun barrel, etc. seen all of these things. if you need help figuring out "what" his drawing is noting and what you should be looking for i may be able to help.

Before I called anyone, if I had no pin finder, or metal detector, I'd lightly dig around what looks like the ought to be the corner (like a fence corner, tree line etc) and might get lucky and find them and save the money.

3 rocks stacked up on the other side of the ridge was one of our boundary markers on the old deed. Dad got a good surveyor to shoot all the lines many many years ago. With a laser unit they can set up on an established point and pretty much shoot out all the lines easy as pie.