+1 to Lizard Litter!

I've seen Lizard Litter recommended here on TGO a couple of times. I handloaded about 14,000 rounds of 9mm alone last year, a few thousand .38's and a few thousand 5.56...all range brass......my tumbler media got nasty!

We use Amazon Prime for many things, so I looked on Amazon and found Zilla Ground English walnut shells desert blend as recommended by Gordon aka Dolomite.

As usual, Gordon was right! :up:

$10.39 for a 10 quart bag. 1/2 the bag filled my Dillon tumbler appropriately. This stuff works great. It's at least 1/2 the price I paid for the last media I purchased, and with the Amazon Prime the was no shipping.

Give it a try the next time you are in the market, I think you'll like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11678-Ground-English-10-Quart/dp/B000OQRGF2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1428447145&sr=1-1&keywords=lizard+litter

Edited by prag

It is dusty but I cut up some used dryer sheets and put it in the media for 20 minutes before using it. Gets rid of a lot of the dust. When you add your polish, I use a 50/50 mix of NuFinish and Liquid Turtle wax, it keeps the dust down. But even with that I would STRONGLY recommend closing up the tumbler as the dust can have some nasty stuff AFTER you tumble. I use a piece of plastic and sandwich it between the bowl and lid. If you brass is really, really nasty and tarnished some you can add some Marine Finish restorer. It is for oxidized boat hulls. It doesn't take much but it works really well, you will need to finish it with some time with your regular polish to get rid of the dull finish left by the marine restorer though.

• Like 1
I used dryer sheets and nufinish polish. Lizard litter always left dust on the brass.

My process was to pour the lizard litter between two buckets and let wind blow as much dust out as possible, but even with that the walnut broke down too quickly and turned to dust.
Hmmmm, after the first dryer sheet run I never had dust left behind but I also use a bunch of polish. I add the polish and let the tumbler run for like 30 minutes to get everything mixed well then I add the brass.

I also do not just fill up the tumbler. I want just enough media to move the brass. Too much media actually works worse because it cushions the brass. Part of the cleaning process is the brass rubbing on each other.

Dolo made a great point. I only fill my tumbler, a 25 year Dillon FL 2000, about 1/2 full of media. I usually run it for about an hour with 500+ pieces of 9mm brass in it with a cut up dryer sheet. I haven't experienced any dust issues. And I am impressed at how well it polishes the brass, and I haven't ever try adding NUFinish or Turtle Wax yet...but certainly plan to give it a go.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23658/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_CV_2001_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner