Bugout Tactical Uppers

Jax970

Is anyone familiar with Bugout Tactical from Cookeville Tn?  I made an impulse upper purchase from them at the gun show in Jackson today. Owner claims the upper i bought has a Shilen barrel in it.  Is that true?  Does he sell quality uppers?  Am i going to regret my impulse buy?  I bought a 16" heavy barrel upper in 300 blk with 1:8 twist. 

Price will indicate whether it has a Shilen barrel or not.

I am always skeptical of any small sellers making big claims. And considering it is difficult to prove otherwise it makes very easy for a seller to lie.

There are tons of decent 300 Blackout barrels for under $125.
  • Like 1
I have bought one upper from this guy and although he did not claim it had a Shilen barrel his prices were reasonable and he promised t swap out the handguard, which he did promptly. My limited experience with him has been good. I agree that a Shilen barrel will say Shilen on it somewhere, probably wherever the caliber and twist rate are marked.

HTH,
Whisper

Thanks guys.  I haven't taken the hand guard off yet to look for mfg markings.  I paid $425 for the upper. The receiver and hand guard appear to be low end and if he got the barrel for a reasonable price, maybe it could be a Shilen.  As long as it shoots well i don't guess it matters, but I just like to know what i have.  When the name of the company was Coffin Arms, i heard many positive reviews (and no bad reviews) and a buddy of my was pleased with a purchase.  That was one of the reasons i purchased it.  But you know how impulse buys go, you get excited over the hype and find out later all is not as it might have appeared.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about Bugout Tactical, just trying to learn more about their products.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bugouttactical
Hello fellow gun owners. This is adam west from bugout tactical located in cookeville tn. I myself would like to clear the air on all of this.the barrel you bought is cut from a shilen blank.the handguards are keymod from aerospace or midwest industries neither cheap.as far as getting a great deal you did I am in business to make money and I did. But my biggest concern is to make sure you as the customer is happy
If you think the deal is to good to be true then
Email me at bugouttactical@twlakes.net and I will let you return it. I believe you are interested in name recognition so I will replace it with a Advance Armament 1:7 twist Nitride finish with 51t flash hider/ suppressor attachment and nitride gas block.on midway the flash hider is $99.99 and the barrel kit is $349.99 with free shipping that's $449.98 thats more than the whole upper now based off the other people that claim that's to good to be true , well maybe that's because they like paying more.i know I am a small business and we don't claim to have a lot of money but we have a awesome relationships with distributors and are able to buy some very good deals sometimes.also we are able to have a ffl the last time I checked I don't need one to sale parts and ammo.i will tell you also we have a very Blessed business and our family is also. I owe that to a man that died for me over 2000 years ago "JESUS CHRIST " I give him all the praise in glory for all of this. I hope and pray for all of you " God bless you all " adam west

To Adam and everyone else who responded to my post...

I sincerely didn't mean to create a problem with my post.  I apologize for doing so.  As i stated, i made an impulse buy, then started my research. (Usually i research then buy.)  As i also stated, i only want to know what i really have.  I have no reason to doubt Adam other than knowing none of the parts have a mfg stamp on them and also knowing there are people out there that will be dishonest.  I'm not interested in having name brand stuff.  I just want to know what i have and i want good performance.

With that said, i finally had a chance to test the upper late last week.  I am very satisfied with its performance.  I shot 7 - three shot groups.  I used Remington 120 gr ammo, Nosler Match 125 gr and Nosler Match 220 gr.  Distances were 50 and 100 yds.  Of the 7 groups, 4 of them had three shots in two holes.  This shooting session was just the first. You all know how it goes, As your familiarity with a gun increases, you can generally expect better performance.  This is at least true for me.

I am on the road today, but when i get home and figure out how to post pictures, i will post pictures of the groups i described above.   

Adam, thank you for your offer to trade my upper for another.  However, it is not necessary.  I'm very pleased with what i have.  I'm not interested in name brand stuff, just knowing what i have and good performance.  I have no reason not to believe you when you tell me what parts i have and I have good performance.

To everyone else, please do not let my posts tarnish Bugout Tactical's reputation.  My upper actually performs better than i expected regardless of what brand it is.

Since I raised this question, i think it is only fair that I respond with my findings.  I'm happy with the performance of my upper and have no complaints with Adam or Bugout Tactical.  I will be keeping the upper i have and continue to see what i can do with it. 

I don't post on this board much, but i do read a lot.  Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.  I consider this board a great resource.

• Like 2
Guest bugouttactical
To any customer of bugout tactical if you have a problem or question with anything please email me and I will resolve it and I promise to make you happy God Bless all of you.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Ok guys, i finally got home and i think figured out how to post pictures.  As i stated earlier today, all groups consist of 3 shots each.  Ignore the shot count in the photos. I couldn't count at the time.  Some of the two hole groups look too good to be true.  But it is either three shots in two holes or one shot was off by over a foot.  That seems unlikely too.  Right now i'm claiming three shots in two holes until i can shoot some more and see if i can duplicate these results.

All of this was done with a Burris 3x9 Fullfield scope and a Bushmaster lower.  The upper has a 16" barrel.

I did have several FTF's and a few FTE's.  I'm new to .300 blk and from what little i've read so far, this could be a magazine problem.  As time permits, i will try other magazines.  So far, i'm happy with its performance.

What else do i need to know about 300 blk?

Thanks

• Like 3
Guest bugouttactical
What buffer are you running? You need to have a h3 in there. You should also have a m16 bolt in it also. This will up your carrier speed on exit to around 225 inches a second , and around 128 inches a second on return which will increase dwell time on bolt create more energy for extraction.and bring more speed for return to create more equal bolt alignment so you have less failure to feeds. If you have any questions email me thanks adam

Dolomite,

How can I tell if my upper is over gassed?  Also how does the BCG play into this?  Somewhere down the line I decided a "full auto" carrier is the one to have.

Adam,

I bought the BCG from you when I bought the upper.  I understood it to be the full auto version.  Which one is it?

Overgassed if brass is ejecting 12:00-3:00, kicking harder, running dirty.

1483379_02_ar15_bolt_carrier_group_bcg_b

Just keep in mind that that image is generic, the lower bcg is considered the "full auto" carrier. Either will work fine if your rifle is tuned right.

If you're serious about your invitation, I would like to meet you and learn more.  I'll be in Knoxville June 15th - 17th.  I'm not completely sure of my schedule yet but maybe meet the evening of the 15th or 16th?? 

Thanks again for the offer Dolomite, but i'll probably have to take a rain check after all.  I'll be in meetings Monday and Tuesday during the day.  The evening would be the only free time i would have.  If you don't mind, i'll continue to ask you questions.  I hope to shoot some more this weekend

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee509/sdahlstrom/DA39976F-FD33-4893-B7D6-123CDCFD88B4.jpg

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee509/sdahlstrom/2475B886-B003-4C21-8DB1-457103C6817C.jpg

I was able to go out yesterday and shoot my upper some more.  The more i shoot it, the more satisfied i am with it.  I think the photos have enough notes to explain what i did.  I think i had one FTE with subsonic ammo and a few (5 maybe) FTF's with subsonic and supersonic ammo.  The FTE and FTF's seemed to occur more with the Nosler ammo.  I'm not sure why.  The FTE and FTF problem was much better yesterday than last week when i shot.

I think it was fair for me to question what I've got, so i think it only fair to say it performs as i hoped it would.  I'm happy with my purchase.

I'll put the over gassing issue on my list of things to learn more about and work on.

Thanks to all!