damn skunks...

Sam1

Is there any legitimate way to keep these boogers away without having to trap them?  Read a bit online and most said that repellents don't work, but one of the most effective ones were just a motion sensor light in the area they are coming into.

Found a hole the other day under the patio, filled it back in and didn't think anything of it but a bit ago i seen the dog frolicking through the yard with a skunk so I yelled at it and the skunk took off under the patio.  luckily he was away from the dog when he sprayed.

Anyone use anything that actually works to keep them away other than trapping?

Are you not able to just shoot them?

I found that by using a 3x turkey choke , I could shoot them in the head with #4 shot at ~40 yards, without them spraying. Did in 7 like that.

Just scooped them up with a shovel into a bag-lined garbage can. Edited by R_Bert

Speaking of skunk.... How in the sam hell is it they stink so ungodly bad here in Tn? I've been all over from Az to Maine lived in La and Mi and I've never smelled skunk that stunk so badly till we moved to Tn....

Speaking of skunk.... How in the sam hell is it they stink so ungodly bad here in Tn? I've been all over from Az to Maine lived in La and Mi and I've never smelled skunk that stunk so badly till we moved to Tn....

Well when you hit one with a car and then back up again over it that tends to happen.

Well when you hit one with a car and then back up again over it that tends to happen.

I think someone is doing burnouts on top of them! I swear I've all but had my stomach knocking on the door wanting out at the smell driving down our country road....

Are you not able to just shoot them?

I found that by using a 3x turkey choke , I could shoot them in the head with #4 shot at ~40 yards, without them spraying. Did in 7 like that.

Just scooped them up with a shovel into a bag-lined garbage can.

Nogo, where I seen the hole & it last night, is under a raised patio with lattice around and gravel on the ground. Recipe for where not to fire a weapon.

Go medieval on the skunk....

step 1--they are primarily nocturnal (unless they are rabid), so sometime before bed, put a good coat of flour on the ground around the hole. Chances are the skunk will be out foraging during the late evening. Check the flour mid-morning the next day-- if you see Pepe LePew footy prints in the flour, odds are that the skunk has returned and is sleeping in it burrow.

step 2-- get out the ol' turkey fryer, and heat up a couple of gallons of cooking oil. it doesn't have to be boiling, but does need to be close to frying temperature.

step 3-- VERY carefully transfer the oil (a small stove pot or boiler can be used as a dipper for this) to a large stove pot or cast iron with a sturdy handle...

step 4-- recreate the classic Medieval castle siege defense by pouring as much of the hot oil as possible into the burrow hole as quickly as possible-- a gallon or two will work nicely.... and take care of the oil splash unless you want to end up like the skunk.

step 5-- run.

step 6-- go back and fill the hole in completely with dirt or concrete.

step 7-- 2 years later, excavate the perfectly preserved skunk skeleton, and display it on your patio as fair warning to other nuisance varmints.

Once skunks take up residence, it is damn hard to get rid of them by just filling in or blocking their burrow. The most successful non-firearm-related solution is live capture and relocation-- which is a royal pain in itself.

PS-- skunks just can't resist a peanut butter/tuna fish (or canned cat food) casserole, so keep that in mind when baiting traps.

Of course, there are easier methods than the one I just mentioned.... sorry if anyone took this 100% seriously-- it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek overkill.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

Nogo, where I seen the hole & it last night, is under a raised patio with lattice around and gravel on the ground. Recipe for where not to fire a weapon.

Crossbow?  Seems just the ticket for this critter.

think I'll try to flush it out with some dihydrogen monoxide if it's in the hole then use that little flour trick around the perimeter and see how it's getting through the lattice then fixing that issue.

If you live in an area that has animal control they will come remove them if you trap them.

We had a house under construction.  The foundation access door was left off.  Skunks found their way in.  A live trap was set and caught the freeloading skunk.   This lady came out from animal control, walked right up to the trap, stood it on end, reached in and pulled the skunk out by its tail.   I was standing there in disbelief, and so was a couple other guys.  She had a pet carrier like for a cat that she lowered the skunk into.   I asked about why the skunk was not spraying her.  She said that the skunk would not spray unless it's feet were on the ground and it could lift it's tail.   Dangedest thing I ever saw on a job.  

We had some beautiful ones out here for a while.  Used to like watching them.  The would be out around my shop eating the bugs that the security light would draw.  

Also, one good thing about skunks is they will eat out a yellow jackets nest.

Edited by Gun Smith