Knife Sharpener

I had the Lansky system but moved over to the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

While the Lansky was good it was a little more cumbersome getting everything attached and ready to use.  With the Spyderco you just put the stones in and get to work.  Spyderco seems much better to me.

• Like 1

I have the Sharpmaker, the Worksharp, and the Edgepro. The Edgepro does the best job by a WIDE margin, but it's expensive. The Worksharp is fast, but you can damage a blade if you're not careful. I use it for bladed tools more than knives. The Sharpmaker is very good. I'm just too spastic to hold a consistent angle. I can get them sharp, but they're not as pretty.

The Edgepro will do this...

-013-1.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2
I stopped by just today at Gander Mtn in Providence to pick up a wrist sling for my bow and bought a Work Sharp on impulse for $89. Sharpened four knives in no time. First time I got a good edge on my old Buck 119. I've used a Lansky for years and never could get a good edge on 440 steel with it.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped by just today at Gander Mtn in Providence to pick up a wrist sling for my bow and bought a Work Sharp on impulse for $89. Sharpened four knives in no time. First time I got a good edge on my old Buck 119. I've used a Lansky for years and never could get a good edge on 440 steel with it.

It's real fast, and knives are always real sharp when you're done. I would just never use it on a Sebenza, or some other high value knife.

It's real fast, and knives are always real sharp when you're done. I would just never use it on a Sebenza, or some other high value knife.

Why not? I readily admit that I don't have any knives that would bring a tear to my eye if they got damaged, but I've never even come close to damaging a knife. I don't always use the course belt, though. Sometimes I just hit the knife a couple of times with the fine and then I'm done.

Why not? I readily admit that I don't have any knives that would bring a tear to my eye if they got damaged, but I've never even come close to damaging a knife. I don't always use the course belt, though. Sometimes I just hit the knife a couple of times with the fine and then I'm done.

Did I say I'm spastic? I'm not gonna use a belt sander on a $450 knife when I have an Edgepro in the closet. I have burned an edge with the Worksharp. All you gotta do is stop moving for a second to do that. I use my worksharp, just not on the expensive stuff.

BTW... the Ken Onion version of the Worksharp is better. You can vary the speed and angle with it. I was gonna get one, and just never got around to it. I have lots of respect for Ken, and have a few of his designs.

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/knife-sharpener/knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition.html

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

Did I say I'm spastic? I'm not gonna use a belt sander on a $450 knife when I have an Edgepro in the closet. I have burned an edge with the Worksharp. All you gotta do is stop moving for a second to do that. I use my worksharp, just not on the expensive stuff.

BTW... the Ken Onion version of the Worksharp is better. You can vary the speed and angle with it. I was gonna get one, and just never got around to it. I have lots of respect for Ken, and have a few of his designs.

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners/knife-sharpener/knife-tool-sharpener-ken-onion-edition.html

I believe you did mention that. Sorry, I forgot. :D

I hadn't seen the EdgePro before. I just watched the video on it. It appears that it is everything Lansky wishes it was and more. I might just have to make that investment when I finally get around to getting some really high quality kitchen knives.

I hadn't seen the EdgePro before. I just watched the video on it. It appears that it is everything Lansky wishes it was and more. I might just have to make that investment when I finally get around to getting some really high quality kitchen knives.

Probably the best source for it and accessories is Chef's Knives to Go. They have the Edgepro stones, as well as a couple of lines of Japanese stones. The Jap stones go all the way up to polishing grits.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edgepro.html

When trying to change the bevel, I use a DMT Aligner kit. Think it was around $45 and I added the extra fine stone. For touch up I'll just use the medium/fine stone. Slowly adding a strop in the mix which seems to greatly reduce the frequency on stones.
The Lansky isn't a bad system, it's just not right for me. I'm 43 and been using a straight razor since I was 16 and do fine with a 4000, 8000 and 10,000 stone. However, I've always had a good edge professionally done on the front end and with my stones and strop been able to touch up and keep a good edge on it. The spine also makes it super simple to keep your angle the same.

The Lansky stones are so narrow I can't keep the same strokes throughout the length of the blade. The clamp even gives me fits. I even bolted it down. I can very easily keep a steady pull thru the Work Sharp though.

I thought my Lansky sharpened knife was sharp and shot a Spring turkey and liked to never breasted it out. That was a lot of the impulse part of the buy when I went to Gander Mtn. After getting the WS I've been filleting fish with my camp knife. Super easy.

I'm not an authority by any means to endorse either system but if you have the same problems with a Lansky like I did, the WS is an excellent alternative.