Road rage idiots video

So the guy in the truck clearly was putting the guys on the motorcycles lives at risk is this correct based on the video shown? If so and the motorcycle rider had a handgun and permit if he had shot the driver in the truck would this been a clear case of self defense?

Possibly, but there wouldn’t have been anything clear about it. At the time the truck came at him he would have been justified, but he didn’t have time. After the truck went by the threat was over and he turned around and chased it.

When the driver was head butted with the motorcycle helmet and hit the ground while being confronted by two guys he could have shot and claimed self-defense.

But neither case would have been clear cut, and both probably would have gone to trial.

It appears pretty clear to us that the guy in truck tried to run him off the road. But I’m sure he would have claimed it was an accident, he was reaching down to pick something up, etc.

To me the only thing that is clear cut is that this is a case of mutual combat. The second bike rider should not have head butted the guy and they possibly could have had the truck driver arrested. Although as I say he would claim it was not intentional.

They should have settled it right then with no guns involved.

They should have settled it right then with no guns involved.

What?!?  Settle something without guns and lawyers?!?   In the USA?!?    :dropjaw:    :panic:     :eek:   

Why, that'd be... just plain unAmerican.  :shake: 

:)

Edited by peejman

Yeah, cause most drivers understand things like indicating before a turn or a lane change, or keeping right except to pass. We can't even get the basics like slowing before a stop or not texting and driving down, you think an advanced tactic like zipper merging is even a remote possibility?

No, I don't even think that it is a remote possibility, I was just saying it would be nice.

When the driver was head butted with the motorcycle helmet and hit the ground while being confronted by two guys he could have shot and claimed self-defense.

But neither case would have been clear cut, and both probably would have gone to trial.

As you mentioned I'm thinking both are going to be in jail but I'm not sure if the driver of the truck could have claimed self-defense if he was to shoot.   I don't know the legal term but I've heard from multiple sources that the original aggressor in the altercation somewhat "loses" the ability to claim self-defense when they are the one that started the altercation.    

As an example I've heard, guy 1 punches guy 2 at a bar over a disagreement.   Guy 2 pulls a knife and starts towards guy 1.   Guy 1 happens to have a gun and shoots guy 2.   Guy 1 can't claim self-defense since he started the fight, or so I've heard.   

As you mentioned I'm thinking both are going to be in jail but I'm not sure if the driver of the truck could have claimed self-defense if he was to shoot.   I don't know the legal term but I've heard from multiple sources that the original aggressor in the altercation somewhat "loses" the ability to claim self-defense when they are the one that started the altercation.

All depends on how the DA feels about it. That’s usually how it works and how a jury will see it, but Zimmerman was the primary aggressor when he murder Martin. But I think that was just a case of the Prosecution not making it clear to the jury that Martin was defending himself from an unprovoked attack.

As an example I've heard, guy 1 punches guy 2 at a bar over a disagreement. Guy 2 pulls a knife and starts towards guy 1. Guy 1 happens to have a gun and shoots guy 2. Guy 1 can't claim self-defense since he started the fight, or so I've heard.

It was a bar fight until guy 2 pulled a knife. If I was the investigating Officer I would not charge guy 1; it’s self-defense. However, that would be up to the DA. As far as I was concerned as a cop if you are involved in a mutual altercation, such as a bar fight, you don’t get to bring a deadly weapon into it. You walk away, win, or take your azz whipping. If guy 2 died; so be it, if he lived I would have charged him with aggravated assault. I don’t buy into this “You could die from getting hit”. If someone believes that they shouldn’t engage in behavior that will get them punched. Back in the day we called it “Don’t let your mouth overload your azz.” I don’t know what they call it today.

Bottom line is that every case is different because it will be judged on the actions and facts of that incident.

Back in the day we called it “Don’t let your mouth overload your azz.” I don’t know what they call it today.

Or the other saying that has become less popular due to so much electronic banking and CC's, "don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cash".