Texans Can Open Carry Now .. with permit

Just like our parks bill, this one went into conference committee, and finally was passed.

One sticking point was stripped, the amendment that would have barred LE from checking permits based only on seeing a gun on the person.

So, looks like Texans have same situation as our open carry here now, or will, as this takes effect first of the year. The delay was put in for time to educate both LE and revise permit training and whatnot.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/29/its-official-texas-legislature-passes-open-carry/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news for Texans. They've labored over this one for a long time.

I agree. It's still hard to believe that the great state of Texas has such poor gun laws. Especially when compared to other states in the region. I'm glad things are improving though.

Good news for Texans. They've labored over this one for a long time.

Won't stop the AR carrying activists though -- the goal is non-permitted carry, same as exists with long guns there, one thing Texas has going for it that we don't.

- OS

Texas is not ideal when it comes to carrying.  The license there is expensive and you have to requal on a range when you renew your CHL.

Basically, it is illegal to carry a weapon in Texas, openly or concealed.  Weapons are things like handguns, clubs, brass knucks.  Weapon does not include long guns.  You can carry long guns however you like there because they are not covered under the unlawful carrying law.  It can be open, concealed, loaded, in your vehicle.  It is very uncommon to see anyone carrying a long gun there in public.  You may see one in the back window of a truck but not actually carried.

So basically it is illegal to carry a weapon there with a bunch of exceptions such as:

1.  Concealed handgun license carrying a concealed handgun

2.  Traveling (generally thought to be someone crossing county lines).

3.  Going to and from hunting, fishing, sport shooting with a handgun.  Yes you could carry it openly or concealed and have it loaded when going to your hunting or range spot from your house.

4.  Your own property such as your house or business.

Strictly speaking, you could not just carry around an unloaded handgun.  Until about ten years ago, you could not even have an unloaded handgun in your car.  You have to fall under the exceptions, so if you fall under the exception, you might as well have it loaded.

For about the past ten years you can also have a handgun (loaded or unloaded) that is concealed in your car without falling under the other exceptions.

It's my understanding that weapon carrying, open or concealed, has been illegal down there since the late 1800's, with certain exceptions such as traveling or going to the range.  I'm sure at one time that the law was ignored by a lot of people and not really enforced by the police.  You better fall under one of those exceptions, like having a handgun in your car, because I'm pretty sure the law is enforced now and I'm thinking it is a Class A Misdemeanor if convicted of unlawful weapon carry.

Edited by 300winmag

Texas is not ideal when it comes to carrying.  The license there is expensive...

Original is $140 for 4 years, but seems that includes the qualification course? If so, would make it cheaper than ours by a good bit in most cases, even with the $10 they charge for fingerprinting. Renewal only $7.50 more than ours, $70 for 5 years.

...and you have to requal on a range when you renew your CHL.

No, that changed couple years ago, no longer required.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Legal/newlegislation.htm

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

From what I know, the class is a separate fee that you pay to the instructor.  You pay the 140 for the license and then say 100 bucks for a class.  A lot of the ranges offer classes just like here.  You have to do live fire down there as a part of the class.  I think it was something like a ten hour class.