For the .40S&W reloaders

Is there a way or such a thing to load the .40S&W cartridge in a "light" load or "bunny fart" load for light plinking ? I always hear how the .40S&W is such a high pressure load and there is little wiggle room. Is this cartridge really high-pressure ? I know it does have some snappyness thats for sure.  I am still new to reloading and so far have been loading .45ACP  and 9mm with good sucess.

This was just on my mind and I thought I'd ask.

Here's what I'm loading in my Walther PPQ 40. Hornady 155gr XTP, CCI 500 primer,  Hogdon HS-6  7.4 grs.

That's on the low side of Hornadys chart. Just a bit more than it takes to cycle the gun reliabily.

Different gun may be different result. Start low & work up.

• Like 1
As Trekbike said, 750fps is about the minimum for 180gr but I don't think you even need to go that low. I haven't loaded any in a while but I seem to recall 5.5 gr of Power Pistol functioning without issues and having no recoil. I didn't chrono them but it was supposed to be 800fps.
  • Like 1

I load with Titegroup, not a lot of diff between "lite" and "hot" load.

You should load your firearm to what you would be using at the time you "need" it to defend yourself.

As Trekbike said, 750fps is about the minimum for 180gr but I don't think you even need to go that low. I haven't loaded any in a while but I seem to recall 5.5 gr of Power Pistol functioning without issues and having no recoil. I didn't chrono them but it was supposed to be 800fps.

Thats cool. I just happen to have  Power Pistol in my Powder measure . So far that stuff seems to have a nice big "curve" or area to experiement on like 9mm. I can start real low and have lots of room to move up until I hit the red area.

I just always heard that the .40S&W had to be loaded or was made to be loaded really hot . I didn't know you could make them light and still have them cycle to the slide reliably . But I am new like i said :pleased:

I load with Titegroup, not a lot of diff between "lite" and "hot" load.

You should load your firearm to what you would be using at the time you "need" it to defend yourself.

I saw Tite Group on my Hornady reloading chart and you are correct. Most of Tite Group doesnt seem to have much room between hot and light

I can't remember off the top of my head the charge weights, but I like AA5 and AA7 in .40. With 5, I have two weights with a 165gr bullet, a lighter plinker and a slightly warmer version which is just about factory performance. That ine works better on steel. The light stuff is fine for paper but not so great with heavier poppers.
  • Like 1

I can't remember off the top of my head the charge weights, but I like AA5 and AA7 in .40. With 5, I have two weights with a 165gr bullet, a lighter plinker and a slightly warmer version which is just about factory performance. That ine works better on steel. The light stuff is fine for paper but not so great with heavier poppers.

I'd almost go as far to say AA5 is "the" powder for .40. My personal favorite. 5.4grs under 180 does about 815fps in my 2011 and is a very mild load. I

I've done a reverse ladder test for several cartridges.  No different here.  Start with a known good load and start backing off about .3-.5 grains at a time until you get the desired results.  Moving down slowly will get some short strokes and failure to cycle before you run into a squib.  

In an autoloader, you're only going to get 'so much' or in this particular case, 'so little' before you lose reliability.  It takes a certain amount of pressure to operate.  You can definitely dial it down though.  I load .40 but do not shoot it.  My runnin' buddy shoots it and I have made a Lee 175TC cast bullet run very well with Titegroup.  It's fairly gentle as far as .40 S&W goes and quite accurate.  Still barks more than I care for but nothing like some of the high end factory carry ammo.  

I'd almost go as far to say AA5 is "the" powder for .40. My personal favorite. 5.4grs under 180 does about 815fps in my 2011 and is a very mild load. I

Completely agree. When I figured out how much I liked it, and how economical it was I got all I could next time DLM37015 had it in stock. Got one shelf 2/3 full of #5 alone!

BTW, still rockin' the snot out of that 40 Pro! It's my #1 burner of AA5! :-)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will agree with WST. I think it's probably one of the most overlooked powders for the bigger auto calibers. I haven't used it in awhile as I have just taken a liking to the AA stuff, but that was the first powder I ever used in 40. It was a great mid-range performer and super consistent in charge weights. I went to other powders becuase I couldn't regularly find WST for awhile.