How can I move a car that's in Park

My old Subaru died. First, the transmission started slipping, then a blown head gasket, then something went wrong with the electronics. I need to move it, but it's in Park and I can't start it. In order to get the shifter out of Park, the engine has to be running and my foot has to be on the brakes.

I'd like to just roll it down the driveway to my barn, but I can't get it out of Park.

Most Subaru have a Park postions bypass. I grabbed this from another sight and your manual may cover it also

There is a shifter release that can be used if the car is stuck in Park. I had a 99 that did this under similar conditions. You can try this, it requires taking off the parking brake cover and lifting or removing the shifter cover. First remove the two screws under the arm rest that secures the parking brake cover, then remove the cover. Gently remove the shifter cover, pulling up and back if I remember correctly. Once the shifter is exposed you will see a small hole at the top of the shifter closest to the driver, that is a shifter release, put a screwdriver and push down while moving the selector lever from Park to Neutral,

Sent from the backwoods
Failing that, try crawling under it with it scotch ed and the parking brake on, disconnect the shifter linkage and see if it will shift at the transmission input rod itself

Sent from the backwoods

What cz and Spots said... It shouldn't need to be running, just have a good battery.  And there's (almost) always some sort of manual shifter release for when there's no electrical power. 

Else just drag it with a truck or tractor.

could one not use another car running and hook a vacuum line from it to the cars vacuum system. i have been under the impression that some are vacuum operated. never had that problem though. just assumed that because it uses the brake peddle that it was

If you don't want to deal with getting under the car go get 2 fast food type food trays. Lift the rear if it's RWD or front if it's FWD and put a tray under each wheel then let it back down. It will slide easier. Plastic on grass is a lot slicker. I may or may not have done this in high school with a Plymouth Lazer front wheel drive. I may or may not have put trays under the rear wheels and locked the hand break and had a ball driving in the field.
  • Like 2

Ok, I have done this a few times back when I was turning wrenches. I had a two wheel tow dolly so didn't have to rent one from u Haul but either way once you have the dolly pulled up in place to the end of the car FWD or RWD and then jack up the car high enough to back the dolly under the tires. Let it down on the dolly platforms, strap it down. Once you have it on the dolly you can take it anywhere you want to go. A lot easier than trying to figure out a way to disable the transmission and a lot safer. my :2cents:

If you don't want to deal with getting under the car go get 2 fast food type food trays. Lift the rear if it's RWD or front if it's FWD and put a tray under each wheel then let it back down. It will slide easier. Plastic on grass is a lot slicker. I may or may not have done this in high school with a Plymouth Lazer front wheel drive. I may or may not have put trays under the rear wheels and locked the hand break and had a ball driving in the field.

Unless it's a base model Impresario or something I'm not thinking of, neither of those will work as 99% of Subaru ' are all wheel drive. Should be two half shafts directly off the Trans in the front, and a short enclosed drives haft to a rear chunk, and a half shaft to each rear wheel. Been awhile since I was under one. Interesting side note, if you pull the center differential out of a wrx transmission, gut the clutches then weld it together the car will be rwd only. And a 300 whp, turbo charged wagon is more fun that is probably legal......

Ok, I have done this a few times back when I was turning wrenches. I had a two wheel tow dolly so didn't have to rent one from u Haul but either way once you have the dolly pulled up in place to the end of the car FWD or RWD and then jack up the car high enough to back the dolly under the tires. Let it down on the dolly platforms, strap it down. Once you have it on the dolly you can take it anywhere you want to go. A lot easier than trying to figure out a way to disable the transmission and a lot safer. my :2cents:

Sent from the backwoods